Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2012 7:44:33 AM EDT
My wife got pulled over for no front license plate yesterday by Texas Highway Patrol.  normally this wouldnt be a problem, take the warning and move on.  however, my wife was carrying our 4 yr old son with her and the female officer made the comment that she could have arrested her which freaked the kid out prompting him to ask "mommy are you going to jail?"  my wife tried to be as nice as she could, stating that she wasnt aware it was the law and that she has cop friends that has seen the car and given compliments and i've even received compliments on my car by Dallas PD on one occasion.  

I am deployed in Afghanistan and she told me first thing this morning so ive been searching all over to find this law.  I have  yet to find it.  The latest thing i could find is in the Texas Transportation Code, Sec 504.010 as of January 1, 2012 that talks about Issuance and Placement of License Plate.  In that section, it says nothing about where the license plate has to be placed.  So, I called the DMV to ask them.  I explained the situation, told her what i found, and she stated(whether or not she had authority) that there was no such law stating it must be mounted on the front bumper, only that it should be visable in the front.  

for the time being, while i have a bracket on order, I told the wife to put it in the front window so it can be seen...i'll be damned if Im going to drill holes in the bumper just to put the plate on there, especially since it might not even be necessary.

I know, I know....just mount the plate and shut up...but no, I wont.  I find it very unnecessary to be confrontational to a female with her kid in the car making threatening statements.  She will be filing a complaint today since the officer gave her a written warning with all of her information on it.

Any advice besides mount the plate and shut up??  
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife got pulled over for no front license plate yesterday by Texas Highway Patrol.  normally this wouldnt be a problem, take the warning and move on.  however, my wife was carrying our 4 yr old son with her and the female officer made the comment that she could have arrested her which freaked the kid out prompting him to ask "mommy are you going to jail?"  my wife tried to be as nice as she could, stating that she wasnt aware it was the law and that she has cop friends that has seen the car and given compliments and i've even received compliments on my car by Dallas PD on one occasion.  

I am deployed in Afghanistan and she told me first thing this morning so ive been searching all over to find this law.  I have  yet to find it.  The latest thing i could find is in the Texas Transportation Code, Sec 504.010 as of January 1, 2012 that talks about Issuance and Placement of License Plate.  In that section, it says nothing about where the license plate has to be placed.  So, I called the DMV to ask them.  I explained the situation, told her what i found, and she stated(whether or not she had authority) that there was no such law stating it must be mounted on the front bumper, only that it should be visable in the front.  

for the time being, while i have a bracket on order, I told the wife to put it in the front window so it can be seen...i'll be damned if Im going to drill holes in the bumper just to put the plate on there, especially since it might not even be necessary.

I know, I know....just mount the plate and shut up...but no, I wont.  I find it very unnecessary to be confrontational to a female with her kid in the car making threatening statements.  She will be filing a complaint today since the officer gave her a written warning with all of her information on it.

Any advice besides mount the plate and shut up??  

You really want to file that complaint and be on their list of trouble makers?  
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Highway patrol and a few other jurisdictions are the only ones who care about this and it's mostly because there's a chance they stumble across someone with a warrant or drugs or something.

As far as what she said, some people are cool, some people are assholes, that's life.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I get that laws are updated all of the time and can be hard to keep up with as an officer on the street.  but...that is their job, to enforce the laws on the books.  

dont take this as an cop bashing thread at all, because its not...my goal is to be informed about the laws and to follow them.  not be scared by someone because they wear a badge.  

If it was me, i'd have listened to everything she had to say, scoffed at the idea of being taken to jail over the issue, taken my written warning, and went on with my day.  however, my wife is a different subject, she doesnt take things like this lightly and it really pissed her off.  especially since her son was in the car with her.  i have no doubt she'll file a complaint and follow up afterwards.  hopefully the cop was just having a bad day, learns something new, and moves on....but we'll see

ETA:  can't spell
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas has been a two plate state since 1934. As of the last state legislative session a technical error was made in the wording and the punishment portion was left out of the context. So what we have state wide is a matter of interpretation from county to county. Technically its still illegal to operate without a front plate but there is no punishment for the violation. It will all be ironed out in the next session. My local DA wont accept any class B or above cases where no front plate was the PC for the stop.

ETA- The threat to arrest is a dick move....without a doubt, but in Texas you can be arrested on site for any class c offense except speeding and open container.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The license plate must be visible from the front.  What kind of car do you have that has no method to mount a front plate?  Also, why would you imagine they provide you with two?

What the trooper told your wife is true.  She is wasting her time complaining.  

I know it is tough for you to have to endure this while deployed.  DPS records stops.  Be sure your wife knows that.  

Remember, there are two sides to EVERY story.  ;)

Be safe over there.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has already ruled that on the dash behind the windshield is not sufficient or correct placement of the front license plate.  It must be placed at the "foremost part of the vehicle."

Ruling
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has already ruled that on the dash behind the windshield is not sufficient or correct placement of the front license plate.  It must be placed at the "foremost part of the vehicle."

Ruling

There it is.............
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The license plate must be visible from the front.  What kind of car do you have that has no method to mount a front plate?  Also, why would you imagine they provide you with two?

I know it is tough for you to have to endure this while deployed.  DPS records stops.  Be sure your wife knows that.  

Be safe over there.

the license plate can be mounted, i'd just rather not drill into the bumper.  it can be put in the windshield and still be visible from the front, that's not the issue.  All i ask is to see the law, that is all.

I lived in Nevada for a year and a half and they issued two plates as well.  I was told when given the plates at the DMV that if your car does not have brackets installed from the factory, you do not have to show the front license plate, so the question of why they give you two makes no difference.  yes, Nevada is different than Texas, I'm just giving you a different experience where i was given two plates and only needed one.

my wife was given a written warning so we both assume the stop was documented.  if you are saying what the trooper told my wife is true, show me the law...that is all im asking.  i know there is my wifes side and the troopers side but the simple fact is....show me the law that she was pulled over for supposedly
violating

thanks bro
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ruling

that ruling has been replaced by the updated Code that i listed in my first post...check the dates.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

the license plate can be mounted, i'd just rather not drill into the bumper.  it can be put in the windshield and still be visible from the front, that's not the issue.  All i ask is to see the law, that is all.

I lived in Nevada for a year and a half and they issued two plates as well.  I was told when given the plates at the DMV that if your car does not have brackets installed from the factory, you do not have to show the front license plate, so the question of why they give you two makes no difference.  yes, Nevada is different than Texas, I'm just giving you a different experience where i was given two plates and only needed one.

my wife was given a written warning so we both assume the stop was documented.  if you are saying what the trooper told my wife is true, show me the law...that is all im asking.  i know there is my wifes side and the troopers side but the simple fact is....show me the law that she was pulled over for supposedly
violating

thanks bro

Texas transportation code 502.404
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

that is the old code that has been replaced by the code i put in my first post...check the dates.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

that is the old code that has been replaced by the code i put in my first post...check the dates.

Nothing gets replaced, it only gets updated. The statute still applies.

I doubt you'll ever get the answer your hoping to hear.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

ok...then it was updated...not replaced...that's semantics

the answer im looking for is the law...that is all.  im seeing conflicting information so its hard to know what is right and what is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

the answer im looking for is the law...that is all.  im seeing conflicting information so its hard to know what is right and what is wrong.

If there is ONE thing the DPS knows, it is traffic laws.  

Much drama over nothing.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Much drama over nothing.

Should have known the DPS was infallible....my mistake

threatening to take someone to jail over this issue...i agree, much drama
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much drama over nothing.

If your concerned about the arrest issue, my suggestion would be after you return from deployment to contact the DPS duty station that the trooper is assigned to and request to watch the video with the sergeant. I've let people know that their violation is an arrestable offense after they express a shitty attitude about being stopped, they tend to change their whistle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much drama over nothing.

I have really been skating around just writing this, but here it is;  You were not there.  How do you know your wife, whom you already admit "she doesnt take things like this lightly and it really pissed her off", didn't give the trooper a bunch of shit?  How do you THEN  know the Trooper didn't just explain she was only getting a warning, but could be arrested.  

You don't know any of that.  

Hell, my darling, do no wrong wife got a red light ticket once.  She swore up and down she "did NOT run that red light, it is all bullshit".  I clicked on the online link provided on the ticket and there, lo and behold, was her running a red light to make a right turn.

Damn.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Texas has been a two plate state since 1934. As of the last state legislative session a technical error was made in the wording and the punishment portion was left out of the context. So what we have state wide is a matter of interpretation from county to county. Technically its still illegal to operate without a front plate but there is no punishment for the violation. It will all be ironed out in the next session. My local DA wont accept any class B or above cases where no front plate was the PC for the stop.

ETA- The threat to arrest is a dick move....without a doubt, but in Texas you can be arrested on site for any class c offense except speeding and open container.

And if one refuses to sign the promise to appear, one can be arrested for those.  ;)

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if one refuses to sign the promise to appear, one can be arrested for those.  ;)

indeed

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think this would be worth the effort to get upset and fight with DPS.  You'll lose and if you want to remain in Texas, this is one agency you don't want to piss off.  

Isn't TRG familiar with the DPS & no front license plates?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 504.943.  OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE.  (a)  Except as provided by Subsection (b),
a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1)  have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2)  comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

Texas Administrative Code (where "rules" are)
Title 43
Part 10
Chapter 217
Subchapter B
part 217.22

(2) Unless otherwise prescribed by law, each vehicle registered under this subchapter must display two license plates, one at the front and one at the rear of the vehicle.

Offenses are class C unless otherwise noted.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hell, my darling, do no wrong wife got a red light ticket once.  She swore up and down she "did NOT run that red light, it is all bullshit".  I clicked on the online link provided on the ticket and there, lo and behold, was her running a red light to make a right turn.

Which in the end is what this thread is about. Blood is thicker than water.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#23]
This is what we received about the law. This is in Dallas County. Other counties may have a different view about the issue and DPS may have another. FWIW

The Legislature failed to include a penalty for
the offense of Operation of a Vehicle Without License Plate,
Transportation Code 504.943.  Both the City Prosecutor’s Office and the
District Attorney’s Office has interpreted this as meaning
that without a fine associated with the offense, there is no offense.

This means that the City Court will not prosecute citations for this charge and the District Attorney
will not accept a case where this was the probable cause for the stop.  

This means;

·        
Effective immediately we will suspend issuing citations for a violation of
Operate Motor Vehicle Without License Plate or Fail To Display License Plate.

·        
We will also not use these violations as Probable Cause to make a stop, because the D.A. will not accept a criminal case that arises from the stop.

This email does not apply to License Plate Not Visible.

This issue has been sent to the Attorney General and once a ruling has been issued we will provide further clarification.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is what we received about the law. This is in Dallas County. Other counties may have a different view about the issue and DPS may have another. FWIW

The Legislature failed to include a penalty for the offense of Operation of a Vehicle Without License Plate, Transportation Code 504.943.  Both the City Prosecutor’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office has interpreted this as meaning that without a fine associated with the offense, there is no offense.

This means that the City Court will not prosecute citations for this charge and the District Attorneywill not accept a case where this was the probable cause for the stop.  

This means;

·        Effective immediately we will suspend issuing citations for a violation ofOperate Motor Vehicle Without License Plate or Fail To Display License Plate.

·        We will also not use these violations as Probable Cause to make a stop, because the D.A. will not accept a criminal case that arises from the stop.

This issue has been sent to the Attorney General and once a ruling has been issued we will provide further clarification.

Received from whom?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

Much drama over nothing.

No they don't. I had a warrant issued when DPS made a mistake on a ticket I recieved.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

Much drama over nothing.

No they don't. I had a warrant issued when DPS made a mistake on a ticket I recieved.

How does that prove they don't know traffic well?   Details please.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
They can arrest you for just about anything, some are just dicks enough to tell you this.  My favorite response to this is well go ahead if you want to.  I have never spent anytime other than working in a jail but I guess there is a first time for everything.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe over there.

violating

thanks bro

Much drama over nothing.

How does that prove they don't know traffic well?   Details please.

Because the troopers misinformation was the reason behind it. I'll rephrase it so no feelings get hurt. Not every trooper is knowledgable about the laws they enforce.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I understand your reasoning,  but there is no way I would have my wife put the plate in the front windshield.   Do you really want a thin piece of metal flying around if they get in an accident?    What if the airbag went off and shot the plate towards your daughter in the back seat?   Maybe farfetched,  but to avoid a BS ticket??    No way.  You guys have been driving the car for how long and this is the first time you have been stopped?  Have her stick it in the trunk and if she gets stopped again and the officer gives her a hassle deal with it then.  

This would be a good test for myth busters.   What happens to a plate when the airbag shoots out of dash?  You know it breaks the windshield,  but would the force propel it back towards the occupants?   I would rather find out on some test dummies,  than the two most important things in my life.   Just my .02.  

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#30]
To the OP, thanks for your service.

The violation is legit and I really think the wife should have kept it to herself while you were in the sandpit and let you concentrate on your operations over there.  The comment by the officer dumb? Maybe, but something as simple as this is an arrestable offense. Does it happen? Not likely.

The plate being in the window is still a violation however.  There is case-law that the plate must be mounted to the front of the car.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To the OP, thanks for your service.

The violation is legit and I really think the wife should have kept it to herself while you were in the sandpit and let you concentrate on your operations over there.  The comment by the officer dumb? Maybe, but something as simple as this is an arrestable offense. Does it happen? Not likely.

The plate being in the window is still a violation however.  There is case-law that the plate must be mounted to the front of the car.

"front of the car" is kind of ambiguous though.  The Windshield is the front of the car at that level off the ground.  The windshield sure isn't on the "back of the car".  If the rule was it had to be mounted to the "front most" part of the car, then the law should be worded that way.  But that would still leave room to ticket anyone who drives some models of car where the license plate bracket isn't mounted on the peak at the middle of the car that extends out a little further.  All this is really nit-picky crap.  The legislature should "fix" the problem of having left the penalty off for no front plate by deleting the whole requirement for a front plate.  Our neighboring states and many other southern states all seem to get along fine without requiring a "slave plate".
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I was pulled over for no front license plate around 10+ times in a single year by the HP.   Three times in a single afternoon.  A very professional bunch of people for the most part.  I finally relented and put one on my SUV when I found out they keep track of those things, and get pissy when they see how many warnings/ticket you have.  I'd rather not put one on my car though, so no more road trips with her.  I am very interested to see how this little gaff by our dear leaders in the legislature will play out in court.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Legislature failed to include a penalty for the offense of Operation of a Vehicle Without License Plate, Transportation Code 504.943.  Both the City Prosecutor’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office has interpreted this as meaning that without a fine associated with the offense, there is no offense.

This means that the City Court will not prosecute citations for this charge and the District Attorneywill not accept a case where this was the probable cause for the stop.  

This means;

·        Effective immediately we will suspend issuing citations for a violation ofOperate Motor Vehicle Without License Plate or Fail To Display License Plate.

·        We will also not use these violations as Probable Cause to make a stop, because the D.A. will not accept a criminal case that arises from the stop.

Received from whom?

City Attorney

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Why Is putting a front lisence plate on such a BFD?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some vehicles don't come with mounts so the bumper has to be drilled.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What vehicles are those?

Every car made for the US Market has dealer installable option for a front plate. I moved to Texas from NC which is a one plate state, my car did not have anything for front plate. I just went to local dealer in DFW and they gave me one. No drilling required, just bolted on.

Also, can you get a inspection sticker with only one plate?

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What vehicles are those?

Every car made for the US Market has dealer installable option for a front plate. I moved to Texas from NC which is a one plate state, my car did not have anything for front plate. I just went to local dealer in DFW and they gave me one. No drilling required, just bolted on.

My front plate fell off a couple of years ago and I have passed inspection.  I think it is wrong to require front plates on cars but not motorcycles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What vehicles are those?

Well for one, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma.  I bought it USED out of Arkansas several years ago and it did not have predrilled holes for a plate or bracket.  There were, however, two small concave dimples in the black plastic piece below the chrome on the bumper - I reasoned those were where a plate or bracket would go once you drilled it out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#39]
thank you to txcop893 and planovet for providing actual information instead of an opinion.  

through more research,  i found an article about what yall said about there not being a "punishment to fit the crime", therefore, technically  no crime.  can this be interpreted differently by different jurisdictions...yes.  should it be....no, because its written in black and white.

I get what you're saying about me not being there so i dont know 100% what happened, only my wife's side of the story.  like everyone here im sure, you stand by your wife.  however, i have seen how my wife acts when it comes to LE and especially when her SON is in the car or maybe she was just putting on a show for my benefit  .  she is nothing but respectful and just like me, would like to see an explanation of the law.  

I have a 2011 Mustang GT that was shipped from Kalifornia to Las Vegas where i bought it last January.  there is  no predrilled place in the front bumper to put a license plate.  I have purchased a mount that attaches under the bumpter, wraps under the bumper and in front of it to mount the plate on...if that makes sense.  do i find this unnecessary...yes.  guess i'll see how this works when the SC goes on in December, may have to move it again.  at least by then, she'll have her own car and i'll make sure it comes with a bumper mounted plate.  

I moved back to Texas last October and the car has been there since.  The second license plate has always been in the car next to the drivers seat and console.  my wife knows this, however i do not know if she remembered and showed it to the officer at the time.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't think this would be worth the effort to get upset and fight with DPS.  You'll lose and if you want to remain in Texas, this is one agency you don't want to piss off.  

I hope to be highway patrol in a couple of years, im not worried about pissing anyone off...give me  a break
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I run one plate on my bimmer because I didn't get a bracket for the front and I'm not drilling it. I have a personal plate(which ain't cheap)and encounter(coming and going)DPS many times a week w/out issue. Maybe it's because they see me at the same approximate times and know I'm working. Rarely moving more than 10 mph over the limit.
My truck has lt headers and shorty mufflers and they pass me up(w/windows down)to pull someone else over.

I've only gotten a ticket for no front plate once and that was for failing the attitude test!
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What vehicles are those?

Well for one, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma.  I bought it USED out of Arkansas several years ago and it did not have predrilled holes for a plate or bracket.  There were, however, two small concave dimples in the black plastic piece below the chrome on the bumper - I reasoned those were where a plate or bracket would go once you drilled it out.

My wifes 2006 BMW has no front plate, never has. We were given a bracket when we bought the car, but there are no holes in the bumper. The dealer said to bring it back and they would drill/mount the tag and bracket. Our friends just bought a 2010 or 2011 MB and it also has no holes (nor bracket). We have been pulled over for traffic events a few times, the officers merely gave us warnings and advised us to have the plate installed when we could. Never a ticket, nor an attitude (by us nor them). The car passed the inspection before delivery and every time since. I really do not like having a tag there, so it probably never will have one. Several of my co-workers also have never had front plates. The other states I lived in do not require a front license, dunno why Texas wants one (nor do I much care). Seems many autos are not set up with brackets when sold.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I have been pulled over by DPS on 4 occasions 1 for speeding 3 for other infractions and was told on the 3 times that jail was the officers option. Just my thinking that it is the DPS way of exerting control and making you more compliant.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Ever seen a better w/a front plate?

Don't usually put this out there but, I've been I've been arrested by a good collection of LE and none were of the caliber of the DPS.
Officer Colunga monitored my travel on i45 for years until I switched rides. He would cross the median, pull upnext to me and wave then go back to theother side to run radar again!
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if I will ever get pulled over for no front plate. I am .mil, a FL resident and have FL tags. FL is a one plate state. They only issue one plate, cost the state less money to make half the plates.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope to be highway patrol in a couple of years, im not worried about pissing anyone off...give me  a break

Just trying to give you advice that DPS is not local PD and they play by their own rules.  Let this drop so there is no chance you will jeapordise your potential employment opportunities.  Having a wife's back and going into full offensive is noble to some people BUT without all the information, this has destroyed MANY men.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if I will ever get pulled over for no front plate. I am .mil, a FL resident and have FL tags. FL is a one plate state. They only issue one plate, cost the state less money to make half the plates.

TX only enforces the front plate laws against TX vehicles.  NOW, if you have lived in an area for an extended period of time and the LEO's are aware, they might pull you over to tell you that you need to register your car in TX.  Other than that, certain agencies are more prone to pull over out-of-state vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]
IMHO the very idea of being able to get arrested for a traffic related class C misdemeanor is compete and utter bullshit and a fine example of how far this country has traveled on the road to Despotism.

Traffic laws are civil laws, in other words you signed a contract with the state pf texas when you obtained your drivers license.  YOu agreed to obey the rules set forth by them.  You disobey, you pay a fine.

Any officer who threatens and or arrest anyone for a bullshit traffic offense is a little Hitler in my book.

Flame on bitches.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TX only enforces the front plate laws against TX vehicles.  NOW, if you have lived in an area for an extended period of time and the LEO's are aware, they might pull you over to tell you that you need to register your car in TX.  Other than that, certain agencies are more prone to pull over out-of-state vehicles.

per fed law, as long as I am in the military, my wife and I do NOT have change my state of residents. We will keep our FL tags and so forth. No need to get my headlights adjusted every year
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

per fed law, as long as I am in the military, my wife and I do NOT have change my state of residents. We will keep our FL tags and so forth. No need to get my headlights adjusted every year

Oops, read over the MIL reference which you are GTG.  Many people move into TX and are lax on getting plates/licenses changed and, if in a small town, they are noticed and reminded.  With that said, depending on where you live, having MIL sticker and out-of-state plates does get extra attention.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top