BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RCK1999:
Originally Posted By SSMdive:
While I can see the benefit of CHL. I would rather the bad guys not know I had a weapon.

I can also see the benefit of open carry. For one lets say I eating dinner out and want to take off my jacket. Or It is hot out and I don't want to wear a heavy overshirt.

Why not just allow CHL holders to also open carry if they want. That would show training and it is not that hard to get a CHL in TX.

WHY NOT: because it makes too much sense!

Actually, I agree with your logic and your points. I think a CHL should just be turned into a HL. Lets hope the momentum continues to build and a bill gets a sponsor.

While I'm hardly a fan of compromise (No!  Really!!! ) I think changing the CHL to an "HL" permitting open & concealed carry is a reasonable first step.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Update to signature count on original post.
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally see nothing wrong with the petition, it gives some idea of how many are for something that is of interest to me. I don't try to make more out of it than what it is and everybody has the right to express their opinion, but I don't see it as junk or silly.
I have no idea what impact it played on the news outlets to have a comment about it, I hope a lot, but, either way it didn't cost me anything to sign.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
#52698....signed
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I would NEVER open carry as I like to have the element of surprise...

However, I would like this to be the law only because it is my damn right to KEEP and also to BEAR arms.  No .gov should be able to tell me shit about what I carry or how.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Signed

btw, 62,505 signatures
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate to necropost- really, I do, but, the more opinions you have, the more the better, LOL, and, I just recently found this thread.  Man, so many good arguments both for and against.  In my mind, what it boils down to is this:  is the criminal going to rob the 7/11 if he doesn't know about my Glock 20 under my shirt, or will the robbery be prevented by the Glock 20 on my thigh?  Hmm, I'd say it depends on the criminal.

Will open-carry require a license to do so, keeping criminals from carrying?

Would an open-carry law prohibit, support,  or interfere with concealed carry?

And let's not forget "virgin" criminals, who will be law-abiding citizens, until that "one" thing sets them off, and they cross the line.  I consider myself fairly situationally aware, but keeping track of 7 guns in the local Valero when my 2 kids are trying to pick out a drink is pushing it.  Plus, I'm not gonna win any quick-draw awards.  With current law, surprise is my biggest defense.

I would fully support the option of either concealed carry or open carry, permit holders choice, upon completion of a program similar to what we have now for the CHL.  Oh, and ditch the revolver/semi differences in the license- how silly.  A criminal isn't going to appreciate the difference when he's got 2 slugs in his chest.

To address the cyber/paper petition issue, I'd sign either one or both if I thought it would do any good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By oldgold86:
I hate to necropost- really, I do, but, the more opinions you have, the more the better, LOL, and, I just recently found this thread.  Man, so many good arguments both for and against.  In my mind, what it boils down to is this:  is the criminal going to rob the 7/11 if he doesn't know about my Glock 20 under my shirt, or will the robbery be prevented by the Glock 20 on my thigh?  Hmm, I'd say it depends on the criminal.

And let's not forget "virgin" criminals, who will be law-abiding citizens, until that "one" thing sets them off, and they cross the line.  I consider myself fairly situationally aware, but keeping track of 7 guns in the local Valero when my 2 kids are trying to pick out a drink is pushing it.  Plus, I'm not gonna win any quick-draw awards.  With current law, surprise is my biggest defense.

I would fully support the option of either concealed carry or open carry, permit holders choice, upon completion of a program similar to what we have now for the CHL.  Oh, and ditch the revolver/semi differences in the license- how silly.  A criminal isn't going to appreciate the difference when he's got 2 slugs in his chest.

To address the cyber/paper petition issue, I'd sign either one or both if I thought it would do any good.

So just because you can't see 7 guns in the Quicky-Mart I guess there's no chance that they are there.  How many people live in Texas and how many people have a CHL?  Do the math, odds are you are in a store with multiple CHL holders.  Does it make you feel better that you can't see the gun.  And criminals won't be open carrying their guns.  So do you feel better if the criminals in the store have their guns tuck in their shorts, that way you don't see it.

Bottom line is people are carrying guns already are you more afraid if those guns were open carried?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
Originally Posted By oldgold86:

So just because you can't see 7 guns in the Quicky-Mart I guess there's no chance that they are there.  How many people live in Texas and how many people have a CHL?  Do the math, odds are you are in a store with multiple CHL holders.  Does it make you feel better that you can't see the gun.  And criminals won't be open carrying their guns.  So do you feel better if the criminals in the store have their guns tuck in their shorts, that way you don't see it.

Bottom line is people are carrying guns already are you more afraid if those guns were open carried?

As of 12/31/2010 there are 461,724 CHL holders in Texas. The current population in Texas is 25,373,947. That calculates to 1.8% of the population being a CHL holder. Also a lot of those that have a CHL do NOT carry on their person. They simply ride around with the weapon in their vehicle. Chances are you're the only one CCW when ever you're out and about.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Where can I sign this?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish this would pass.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:
Originally Posted By soowah:
not going to tack it. it's been posted no less than 10 times.

Had a change of heart.

Thanks for the change of heart.  Being one of six states that don't allow open carry we need to change this.
lie.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By soowah:
H_G.

Yes, OC would be nice to have, but there are other issues that need to be addressed IMHO.

As far as reasons OC would be nice...

1. No more worrying about having to fully conceal for fear of "printing" or fear of having your shirt blow up in high wind.

2. With the above condition met, no more IWB. You could actually carry a full size gun much more comfortably while concealed under your cover shirt.
you dont have to worry about that now.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#16]
signed #76647
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By schuler:
signed #76647

Internet petitions are meaningless.  

Be careful what you ask for.  Remember "out of sight, out of mind". I imagine you will find many more places banning carry if you start flaunting your handguns.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

signed #76647

Be careful what you ask for.  Remember "out of sight, out of mind". I imagine you will find many more places banning carry if you start flaunting your handguns.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just be careful what you ask for. A business that is not posted 30-06 might if open carry is legal. Don't ask, don't tell, out of sight out of mind might be ok but being out in the open for all the world to fear might not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By txinvestigator

Has this been an issue in places where OC is legal right now?

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By peekay:

signed #76647

You are right with that face regarding anyone thinking that an internet petition means anything other than a waste of time or a joke.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By clikclikpull:

Originally Posted By txinvestigator

Has this been an issue in places where OC is legal right now?  

I do not know how many states outllawed general concealed carry then suddenly allowed it, nor the responses from businesses.  I guess Oklahoma will be a good example.  However, I have no idea if they have posting laws such as our 30.06.

Common sense tells me what will happen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]
signed #76647

how do you figure that?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#24]
signed #76647

how do you figure that?

Common sense
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#25]
[span style='font-size: 24pt;']signed #76647[/

This is true talk to our neighbors to the north, the open carry is causing them many issues.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there a petiton for a bill to change the CCW "Shall Issue" to a "mandatory issue."  What would be the ramifications?  I take the stance that if the controllers required us to pass CHL courses and skills qualifications, and encouraged the carry of personal protection, especially under the guise of personal and communal protection, that people would be safer than those in "May issue" states and other places like Chicago and New York: similar in theory to Switzerland.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By shinoi:
Is there a petiton for a bill to change the CCW "Shall Issue" to a "mandatory issue."  What would be the ramifications?  I take the stance that if the controllers required us to pass CHL courses and skills qualifications, and encouraged the carry of personal protection, especially under the guise of personal and communal protection, that people would be safer than those in "May issue" states and other places like Chicago and New York: similar in theory to Switzerland.

Shall issue is the same thing as 'mandatory issue'. It stops corrupt politicians from not issueing a CHL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
signed
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clikclikpull] [#29]

Originally Posted By Mavrick:

[span style='font-size: 24pt;']signed #76647[/

This is true talk to our neighbors to the north, the open carry is causing them many issues.

I posted this in the Oklahoma HTF...let's hear it from them directly.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#30]
So back to Oklahoma.  They recently went OC and from what they say in the thread linked above...no real problems.

Signed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I spoke with State Senator Robert Duncan's district director on Monday concerning both campus carry and open carry this upcoming session. He is hopeful that both will pass, with the possibility also existing of the removal of public schools from the list of prohibited places to carry.

If you want either of these to pass this next year, I highly suggest visiting with your state representatives, senators, and/or their staffs. In fact, I'm about to leave for my state representative's (Drew Darby) office in the next hour.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#32]
signed.  

Why does it say "NO" when asked if resident and if registered to vote when I said "YES"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#33]
signed....
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I signed it!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Signed
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I recently relocated my family here from NYS, I have had a CCW license in NY for over 20yrs. Now I fled communist NY, and am in the great free state of TX, but if I want a TX ccw I have to go through the hole "getting a concealed license steps again", just doesn't see fair to spend time & money not to mention redundant for me. NY was one of the first states to off CCW and still one of the toughest to get one in, that should be enough for any state in my opinion.
I am for open carry as well but you should not need a license to do it, this is America!
Just had to share.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#37]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimmyNY:
I recently relocated my family here from NYS, I have had a CCW license in NY for over 20yrs. Now I fled communist NY, and am in the great free state of TX, but if I want a TX ccw I have to go through the hole "getting a concealed license steps again", just doesn't see fair to spend time & money not to mention redundant for me. NY was one of the first states to off CCW and still one of the toughest to get one in, that should be enough for any state in my opinion.
I am for open carry as well but you should not need a license to do it, this is America!
Just had to share.
View Quote

1.  This thread is over six years old.  The next most recent post is just short of hitting it's second anniversary.
2.  I doubt I could move to NY and acquire a NY CHL based on my TX CHL.
3.  I don't know off-hand of any state that will simply issue a resident CHL based on the applicant having another state's CHL.
4.  Welcome to Texas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread makes me sad.

I am dismayed at the number of "gun people" that seem to abhor the notion of a right.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I believe we are waiting on a signature now.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top