Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 8:10:00 PM EDT
I am!   Best of luck and be safe!   My son and I will be in the woods in Monore County.    It's my only day off this week.   I hope to get a few more days off next week.   We will be on (our) private land.   60 acres, but I have been seeing bucks during bow season.    

My son will be taking his new RAR in 30-06.   I am going to use a M1 Garand in .308.    My son is 15, but I don't feel 100% comfortable leaving him alone in the woods, so we will be together.   Last year he was warming up in the truck and I took a doe with a 1938 Russian Capture K98.   I might bring along a Nagant.   We shall see.   Either way, hope to post some pictures tomorrow!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.
Gonna hunt the Monongahela National Forest.
Using a rem 700 in 30.06.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.
Gonna hunt the Monongahela National Forest.
Using a rem 700 in 30.06.
View Quote

Which part?   Up Rt. 92?   Be careful!   Supposed to be a cold morning for sure!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
DH and his friend left this afternoon, they'll be back Wednesday evening.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Not until the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back.    Froze our tails off!   Man it was windy.   My son had a doe walk within 20 feet of him.  By the time he saw her.   She was gone.

We broke for lunch around ten.   My son was sitting in the truck warming up.   I was standing outside when something caught my eye on the hill.   Deer about 50 yards up.  I tapped on the window for my son.   By the time he got out and got the rifle on target the buck turned and ran.   My son said that he could have shot it in the hind.   But I am glad that he didn't.   I went to a different part of the property.   Didn't see anything except for my neighbors new tree blind.   Right on my property line.   AND this guy lives on ONE acre.   Kind of hard to hunt ONE acre isn't it?   What is really weird.   Is that I USED to have a stand not too far from where his is.   On his ONE acre.  I don't know the guy.   But I do know that I am sure that he is enjoying hunting my land.

My son took a nap in the truck.   He woke up and saw a doe.   Didn't get a shot.

It sure was a windy day.   We only heard about 30 shots at most today.   Normally out there we loose track of how many shots we hear.   So I would say that it wasn't a good day to be in the woods.

Still had a great time with my son.   I hope that we can get out again sometime this week.   Back to work for the rest of the week!

Still not sure what to do about the guy's tree house.   When I bought the place I was never given a clear idea where the property line was/is.  Last time that it was surveyed was in the 20's.   I really don't want to shell out the money for a survey.   I am thinking about putting no hunting/trespassing signs on every other tree ten feet my side of where I think that the line is.   Then hanging all sorts of neon tape the entire way up the hill.   The back side of the property is marked with a fence.  Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Get a survey.  2) Use the painted trees, not signs, to mark the property line.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Got 3 on Monday between myself and Abe. MK262 Mod 1 kills deer really well.

Next week is gonna be sausage, corning, pastrami. MMMMM
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Without a survey you should do nothing but some signs. Here the banks will not finance property without a survey. Good luck hunting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1) Get a survey.  2) Use the painted trees, not signs, to mark the property line.
View Quote

I was up in Tucker county my uncle said that the purple paint was hard to come by in that part of the state, that no one carried that color on the shelf and you had to have it mixed. Maybe that will change if enough people start using it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice..i got a one antler buck on monday, lol...I was walking from bathroom to bedroom and looked out back, pile of deer in yard. throw some pants and sweatshirt on, no shoes, no time. lol. Snuck out on the deck and cleared his sinus cavity about 40-50yrds. lol. He was DRT....didnt even take a step.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I should have known you'd have a creative way of doing it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video we put up was shooting the carcasses with our MG42 AFTER we butchered them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The thanksgiving vid?  I laughed my ass off at that!
Ah found it now on the fb page.  You cant tell wtf abe is shooting.... lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video we put up was shooting the carcasses with our MG42 AFTER we butchered them.

The thanksgiving vid?  I laughed my ass off at that!
Ah found it now on the fb page.  You cant tell wtf abe is shooting.... lol

Ah ok! I think my video editing skills are definitely improving.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Only saw doe Monday.  This guy was down 5 min after legal shooting hours on Tuesday.  Probably the nicest rack I've harvested in WV.

Heard a few yotes not far off right before sunrise this morning.  I howled but they only answered once.  Never got closer than 100-150 yards away.  Too dark still to see em.  

Here's my buddy, waiting patiently.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I have next Friday and Saturday off.   That never happens!   So I am going to head out to the property again, and see what happens.   I am going to go up there one after noon and mark the property as best as I can with signs and neon tape.   Best of luck again this week!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It wasn't emmy award winning, but I could tell he had a MG42, and you were in a jeep, and he was shooting

Now the Turkey vid, it would have been better set to the Benny Hill theme that your car clearing vid was set to
View Quote

Abe specifically requested Buzzfeedesque super happy (make me want to kill people) elevator type music.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top