Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2014 6:12:07 AM EDT
I went to an RWVA Appleseed shoot in VA last weekend (I had to go there because there are no shoots in WV). It was very interesting, fun, and educational. I think it would be a good thing to have in the EPH if we can get it organized (see the Appleseed web site at http://appleseedinfo.org/ for information on the organization).

I would like to put together a list of ranges in the EPH to approach to host a 2-day shoot over a weekend later this year. It takes a range with a safe 25 meter firing line (a covered firing line is nice to get out of the weather). All the extras, like bathrooms and porta potties, camping space for those scout troops and others that wish to camp overnight at the site,  nearby motels and restraunts for those that have to drive to the shoot, range fees, etc. will come later - the firing range is the primary concern and basic qualifier.

I can think of several ranges that are likely candidates. In no particular order:
 * Peacemaker
 * Tango Down
 * Westlance
 * Leetown IWLA/NRA Gun Club
 * 340 Defense

I haven't approached any of these folks yet. At this stage I just want to make the list.

Please add ranges to the list.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Peacemaker won't do it. I have heard he isn't very friendly to non big money shoots.

Tango is only open on weekends to its shooters that pay. But might be open to it. Just no real room to camp.

No clue about the rest. There are some IWL members in this forum that might be able to answer that question.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Talked with Mark at Westlance this morning. He closed the range and store earlier this year. Too bad to lose a safe place to shoot run by a strong 2A supporter, nice guy and great shot (he was the National Trap Champ in the late 80's).
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talked with Mark at Westlance this morning. He closed the range and store earlier this year. Too bad to lose a safe place to shoot run by a strong 2A supporter, nice guy and great shot (he was the National Trap Champ in the late 80's).
View Quote

Man that sucks. I have not been up there in years but had been wondering how he was doing. Figured if I ever decided to take the plunge and buy some dillion reloading equipement I would buy from him

I am a member of the IWL in Jefferson Co, not sure if they would be willing to host or not. Only way to know is to ask. The presidents phone number is on the website, give him a call and ask him.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I belong to the Leetown IWLA gun club and went there yesterday to shoot and scout it before approaching the leadership. I'm not sure where the Appleseed folks would put their firing line at that facility. In front of the benches at the 22LR range is probably only place it could work...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I belong to the Leetown IWLA gun club and went there yesterday to shoot and scout it before approaching the leadership. I'm not sure where the Appleseed folks would put their firing line at that facility. In front of the benches at the 22LR range is probably only place it could work...
View Quote

I was out there yesterday as well, I saw Jim and thought about asking him for you but he was busy picking up brass at the pistol range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Jefferson IWLA member here as well. I know they have closed the facility before for Boy Scouts and I believe a church group.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, it probably wouldn't happen this year, schedules already being built and all. I think it's a great idea.

Colklink are you talking about the 50 yard range?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The conservation committee at the IWLA is trying to start up an air rifle program for the youth and has worked with the scouts on several occasions. There was talk if the air rifle program took off to expand to .22's come to the meeting next Tuesday and look up Darrel chairman of the conservation committee he might be able to help open the door for the Apple Seed shot. One suggestion though get there early, around 6:00 PM so you can here your self talk because of new membership it will be crowded.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The conservation committee at the IWLA is trying to start up an air rifle program for the youth and has worked with the scouts on several occasions. There was talk if the air rifle program took off to expand to .22's come to the meeting next Tuesday and look up Darrel chairman of the conservation committee he might be able to help open the door for the Apple Seed shot. One suggestion though get there early, around 6:00 PM so you can here your self talk because of new membership it will be crowded.
View Quote

I'll be there.
Thank you for the background information and name of the key person I need to speak with.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jefferson IWLA member here as well. I know they have closed the facility before for Boy Scouts and I believe a church group.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, it probably wouldn't happen this year, schedules already being built and all. I think it's a great idea.

Colklink are you talking about the 50 yard range?
View Quote

Nah, when I got there he had a bucket and was picking up brass at the 25 yard pistol range. I waited for the two guys to shoot another round then stuck up my target. Jim was hanging around talking with someone else, didnt want to bother him.

Its a good idea, something I would be interested in anyway. I have always wanted to do an appleseed, give me an excuse to buy a 10/22
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to our general membership meeting tonight and met with the club President and the Chairman of the Conservation Committee (which oversees training programs). They are great folks and very interested in hearing more from experienced Appleseed staff about sponsoring a shoot at our club near Charles Town, WV. We are working to get officials from both organizations together to see how to put together a shoot at the club.
This is a great opportunity to get Appleseed in Charles Town. It's a well-structured, extremely safe, enjoyable and very high quality rifle training program for kids, moms and dads, grandparents, individuals, everyone. I hope it comes together!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]
How much is membership at the Isaak Walton? Is it a family membership? Right now I’m a member at Peacemaker and it’s a nice range but not family friendly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#12]
At Tango Down we ae very family friendly :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At Tango Down we ae very family friendly :)
View Quote

Very much so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much is membership at the Isaak Walton? Is it a family membership? Right now I’m a member at Peacemaker and it’s a nice range but not family friendly.
View Quote

If I remember correctly it is a $200.00 initiation fee with a $75.00 annual national membership fee and a first year 8 hour work requirement. children under 18 are allowed to use all facilities with supervision, then are ask to become members at 18, you can use the facility as often as you like, you are allowed guests with member present. They are excepting membership through July. They meet every 3rd Tuesday, 7:00 PM @ Jefferson county Izaak Walton, Leetown with a donation excepted dinner around 6:00 pm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the actual joining fee is like $150 now, but annual is $75. In addition you have to do like 8 hours of volunteer service to the club.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly it is a $200.00 initiation fee with a $75.00 annual national membership fee and a first year 8 hour work requirement. children under 18 are allowed to use all facilities with supervision, then are ask to become members at 18, you can use the facility as often as you like, you are allowed guests with member present. They are excepting membership through July. They meet every 3rd Tuesday, 7:00 PM @ Jefferson county Izaak Walton, Leetown with a donation excepted dinner around 6:00 pm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. I helped my brother in law sign up a couple years ago, it was $150 then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
On vacation this week so I went out to the IWL to do some shooting today. As I was leaving I went into the building to use the bathroom, saw some appleseed brochures. Was Jim or anyone else receptive to hosting an appleseed?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m going to the meeting tomorrow and look into joining.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
We talked about Appleseed a little at tonight's IWLA meeting. Supporting an Appleseed event in the future will be discussed in more detail at the next meeting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We talked about Appleseed a little at tonight's IWLA meeting. Supporting an Appleseed event in the future will be discussed in more detail at the next meeting.
View Quote

I couldnt make it last night but will try to make next months meeting.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Next month last month to join until next year, you got to be there with $225.00
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did he give any indication why he closed? I knew Mark back in the mid to late 90's when I was in M'burg.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did he give any indication why he closed? I knew Mark back in the mid to late 90's when I was in M'burg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have anything I can post on a public site. Send me a PM or email if you want his contact info to follow up with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top