Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 10:36:05 AM EDT
I am considering relocating for employment. Probably in the Haiku / Makawao / Kahului area. I'm from SC with assets and toys that I think most of which will remain for now; it will be a soft move, so to speak, so no shipping container for me. I will / am trying to sell or store most things, but do intend on purchasing a vehicle, renting an apartment / ohana, bringing clothing, and winging the rest. I have visited several times and am comfortable being a minority on an island and am open minded about it all, but still get a little anxiety when I think what a drastic culture shock this will be. With all that out of the way:

Is there an arfcom presence on Maui? I will not have that many friends there and would be willing to buy a like minded individual a beer

What are the specific laws pertaining to guns, other than strict? I grasp everything needs to be actually registered within 3 5 days with the police (shocking because I'm from SC), but what about ARs, bolt action rifles, and/or pistols? Probably no hope for a CWP? Do you think it would just be the most sensible to stick with a cheap shotgun for sporting and hunting purposes? Which brings me to the next question:

I hunt. I have hiked poli poli and there was a lot of rooting up there and saw some hog tracks. If I purchased and registered a simple rem 870, could I use that to hunt? If not, what are my options? I would prefer a rifle over a shotgun. I've never bow hunted but am not opposed to it. What about Axis deer? What about birds / fowl?

I'm a pretty sharp guy that can use common sense, but don't want to step on the toes of locals, especially alone while hunting. This extends to any other activity. What should I watch out for or absolutely not do? Again, I'm not a fool so the obvious probably doesn't have to be stated. I'm very respectful and observant.

Can I keep my out of state license for a while? And can I purchase and register a vehicle with an out of state license?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks for your valuable input!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Aloha!  I don't live on Maui but I can help you with the gun laws type stuff which is the same across the state...

What are the specific laws pertaining to guns, other than strict?
A good read for gun laws is with the Hawaii Rifle Association which is a good organization to join to support gun rights.  Go to www.hawaiirifleassociation.org and click "About HRA" and read the gun laws.  The actual gun laws can be found at
HRS 134-2       Permit to acquire
HRS 134-3       Registration, mandatory, exceptions
HRS 134-4        Transfer, possession of firearms
HRS 134-5        Possession by licensed hunters and minors; target; game shooting
HRS 134-7       Ownership or possession prohibited, when, penalty;
HRS 134-7.5     Seizure of firearms in domestic abuse situations
HRS 134-8       Ownership, etc., of automatic firearms, silencers, etc., prohibited; penalties.
HRS 134-9      Licenses to carry

You are limited where you can keep and transport your gun and 10 round pistol mag limits are big ones to be familiar with.

But what about ARs, bolt action rifles, and/or pistols?
No assault pistols (like AR15 pistols), rifles have a barrel 16" and longer.  No full auto.  We don't have restrictions on rifles and pistols other than that.

Probably no hope for a CWP?
Dream on.  But do apply to get one as we are trying to show demand to our legislature to support shall issue.   www.hawaiiccw.org (It's for Honolulu, you have to ask MPD for their application and proceedures)

Do you think it would just be the most sensible to stick with a cheap shotgun for sporting and hunting purposes?
No
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Good bunch of guys here.  You can also check the range day schedule.  Rifles have no limits to magazine capacity, just pistols with 10 round magazine only.  LGS are Maui Ammo and Gun Supply in Wailuku, Central Guns in Kahului and Handleys in Kihei.  There are several smaller shops around to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Been in upcountry Maui for almost a year now and for the most part am loving it. I havnt had a chance to shoot yet but cant wait to go hunt some hogs when the opportunity comes up. Looks like most of the gun questions have been answered.
No real need for an in state drivers license but it has its perks (local rate at places) and might make it alittle easier to find a place to rent.
I cant remember if i bought my Maui cruiser before or after i got my license.
I tried finding a place to rent before i got here with no luck at all and even then stayed in a vacation rental for almost a month before i found the house i am in now. so unless you have something lined up budget for a few weeks in a hotel/condo rental.
If work is paying for the relocation i hope it goes smother than mine did
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the responses and links!

This is what I have learned:

I can apply for a CCW but I won't get it
ARs are legal, but NO NFA
10 round magazine limits on pistol, but let me get this straight: AR's with standard capacity 30 round mags are legal if the barrel is > or = to 16"?
I can have have any pistol, rifle or shotgun, but needs to be on my property/residence, at work with consent, or to and from a range/gunsmith/hunting/etc. only
All firearms need to be registered in 5 days and non-residents can only have that firearm approved for 90 days! There's incentive to get an in state license alone. I interpret that as any firearm
Hunting in some areas is year round. That's pretty nice

I asked this question in GD, but I'm traveling very light. Like load-out bag / deployment bag light. I feel confident I could live out of a LBT Large load out bag. I will not be shipping a vehicle or purchasing a container. Any tips on commercial travel? Shipping clothes and gear seems counter intuitive.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1904130_flying_with_load_out_bag_via_commercial_flight__delta____what_s_the_best_way_.html

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Please apply for the CCW, we need it to show the legislature there is demand for CCW.  If no one applys, then there is no votes to support the shall issue CCW bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top