Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
Daughter has volunteered, thru a program at her college, Camp Adventure, to work at an early learning center from January thru May, 2016, on base and I'm wanting to know what is there for her to do and where to stay away.  She is going to college, UNI, to be a teacher and this is a way she can get some experience, credit hours and she wanted to help children whose parents are in the military.

Any advice that I can pass along to her is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hawaii has a lower rate of violent crime than the rest of the nation, but high property crime such as thefts.  So same rules apply here...don't wander around strange areas at night alone, keep valuables out of sight, and lock the doors.  If she is staying on base then she is good to go for security.

Cost of living here is very high, especially food, rent, and transportation so make sure she has a good budget for those.  If she is able to access the base housing and commissary and other services then its much easier.

Lots of things to do here and it'll be a good experience.  There are many different cultures "melting pot" here so it'll take a while to get acclimated but she'll learn a lot.  Lots of outdoor activities like hiking and beach stuff here.  Good to experience the other islands on weekends off too. Hawaii can get a little boring if you live here for a long time, but she'll have lots to do on her trip here.  Just have her meet up with one of the locals in the program to show her around here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along.  From what I understand, she'll be staying on base with 30 other volunteers and receive a stipend for food.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Will she have a car? The area has good bus service once you get off base but really kind of far from entertainment and shopping in Honolulu
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
She'll be taking the bus from what she told me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's not Indiana.

I'm sure she'll enjoy herself, the base has everything she needs and she will definitely group up with others to explore the island. I think it will be a great experience.

I work on the Navy side of the base and live nearby in Navy housing. If you ever have an emergency situation I'm willing to do what I can, I'm a father of four children. PM me and I'll provide you my contact info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, it's not Indiana.  

I'm sure she'll enjoy herself, the base has everything she needs and she will definitely group up with others to explore the island. I think it will be a great experience.

I work on the Navy side of the base and live nearby in Navy housing. If you ever have an emergency situation I'm willing to do what I can, I'm a father of four children. PM me and I'll provide you my contact info.

View Quote

Thank you for the offering to help just in case, I'm sure she will be fine, but I will PM you.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Daughter has been enjoying her stay at Pearl since January but the fun will end May 14.  Fortunately that's when I'll be coming out with the wife unit, son and in-laws for a week.  We'll be staying up on the North shore.  I know she has gone to some local places to eat and we're going to do the normal tourist things but is there any out of the way place to eat or visit that you recommend in the area.

I also wish I could help some of ya out and bring along some 30 round mags.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Daughter has been enjoying her stay at Pearl since January but the fun will end May 14.  Fortunately that's when I'll be coming out with the wife unit, son and in-laws for a week.  We'll be staying up on the North shore.  I know she has gone to some local places to eat and we're going to do the normal tourist things but is there any out of the way place to eat or visit that you recommend in the area.
I also wish I could help some of ya out and bring along some 30 round mags.  

View Quote

They are available here on island.  Not banned just bought up quickly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
On the North Shore, Haleiwa Joes, Lei lei's, Sharks cove Grill, Ted's bakery, Ku'aina are all decent places imo. Too bad were getting such shit weather right now!
A place in Haleiwa called Teddys Bigger Burgers is good aswell .
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out some of the food trucks in the area.  Some of the best restaurants are on wheels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from vacation.  We stayed at 57 503 Kamehameha Hwy, it was a nice place.  We are really enjoyed the stay and the area.  Only thing was the road was rough and the construction slowed things down.  I do have a question tho, what is the deal with the vehicles with the blue lights that are on all the time, I saw them by the tents where the workers sitting.  

We did eat at Haleiwa Joes for brunch, also at the Beachhouse down in Haleiwa along with Ted's Bakery and some of the food trucks (they were all good).  We also did the normal tourist thing, visited PCC, Dole plantation, Waimea Valley, along with shopping at the stores in Haleiwa.  I did get to Scholfield to see the museum and obviously got to Pearl Harbor on Saturday.

We did get to Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu, liked the place, did not like driving in the city.  Damn!

Like I said, we did enjoy the area.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 I do have a question tho, what is the deal with the vehicles with the blue lights that are on all the time, I saw them by the tents where the workers sitting.  

View Quote

Subsidized police cars have the blue lights mounted on top so I'm guessing that's what you saw.  The law prohibits any blue lights on other non-police cars.

Sounds like you had a great trip.  Traffic is pretty bad here when you're traveling at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got back from vacation.  We stayed at 57 503 Kamehameha Hwy, it was a nice place.  We are really enjoyed the stay and the area.  Only thing was the road was rough and the construction slowed things down.  I do have a question tho, what is the deal with the vehicles with the blue lights that are on all the time, I saw them by the tents where the workers sitting.  

We did eat at Haleiwa Joes for brunch, also at the Beachhouse down in Haleiwa along with Ted's Bakery and some of the food trucks (they were all good).  We also did the normal tourist thing, visited PCC, Dole plantation, Waimea Valley, along with shopping at the stores in Haleiwa.  I did get to Scholfield to see the museum and obviously got to Pearl Harbor on Saturday.

We did get to Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu, liked the place, did not like driving in the city.  Damn!

Like I said, we did enjoy the area.      
View Quote

Those a police cars. A large percentage of police out here have civilian take-home cars.
Traffic is particularly bad due to the stupid rail construction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top