Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 9:52:35 AM EDT
I may potentially have an offer to go work for a company there.

Is it a good place to live?

Are there any good ranges nearby?

What do you do for fun there?

Is there anything specifically to avoid?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there anything specifically to avoid?
View Quote

Florence itself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the armpits of SC. Seriously.

Hate to bust your bubble, but it's real.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Florence itself.
View Quote
Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of the armpits of SC. Seriously.

Hate to bust your bubble, but it's real.
View Quote
What is the problem with it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe something's changed in 3 years but downtown Florence looks like a cross between Mogadishu and Detroit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
maybe something's changed in 3 years but downtown Florence looks like a cross between Mogadishu and Detroit.
View Quote
I think that about sums it up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
No redeeming qualities at all?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I grew up in Florence county. Now I live near Greenville. My parents still live near Florence.

The city has taken some lessons from Greenville and other cities and they are trying to turn their downtown into a place to go for restaurants, shopping, night life, etc....  they have made some progress but have a long way to go. My biggest complaint about that part of the country are the gnats and mosquitoes in the summer time.

Where are you moving from?

The best thing about Florence is that it is only an hour from the ocean!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I grew up in Florence county. Now I live near Greenville. My parents still live near Florence.

The city has taken some lessons from Greenville and other cities and they are trying to turn their downtown into a place to go for restaurants, shopping, night life, etc....  they have made some progress but have a long way to go. My biggest complaint about that part of the country are the gnats and mosquitoes in the summer time.

Where are you moving from?

The best thing about Florence is that it is only an hour from the ocean!
View Quote
I would be moving from Fort Worth TX.

Are there any good outdoor ranges in the area?

Also, is the downtown area still a Mogadishu / Detroit mix?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Seriously, you need to go there yourself before you get too committed. I live in the Charleston area and would have a hard time  moving there.

SC has some great places to live and it all depends on what you are looking for.

Florence is ok if you don't have to worry about schools, looking to live in a remote area.

What are you looking for? Everyone has their own needs and desires.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Considering that you are coming from Somalia, Florence is a real set up!!

Looks like Flo-town is getting no respect here.
I go there frequently, and it is working on its image.
Downtown is going thru a major revitalization, although there are still some bad areas in the north side of town that I avoid.
There is a lot more to offer in Florence than pretty much a 50 mile radius. It is the biggest town in NE SC except for the hole that is Myrtle Beach. Basically, when you head east out of Columbia, it is the best the state has to offer until you get to the beach.

I work in real estate. You will find the most development and highest values in this area. If you move, you will have the easiest time selling there. You can live rural on acreage or in a small lot subdivision all within 10 miles of town.

If you have kids, you want the West Florence school district. It is not perfect, but no school in these parts are(drugs, etc).

If you like living between the small town to big town lifestyle, it may be for you.  I know folks from Ohio and Oklahoma that love it here. No snow!!

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Do any arfcom members live in Florence?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
There are just a few that live there, but I don't know of any that are very active on the HTF.

Good luck on making your decision, but it sure sounds like you are unsure.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I work in Florence, and live outside it in Darlington.  It's really not that bad, there are good areas and not so good areas.  The public schools aren't the greatest, but there are some good private schools.  

There is an indoor 25 yard range that's pretty decent.  Several outdoor ranges within 20 minutes or so.  I shoot 1000 yards on private land about an hour away, and take visitors frequently.  I also have a side business building custom rifles and AR's, I've done work for some in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top