Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 2:31:33 PM EDT
Can anyone help me with a few things?
If moving to SC with NFA stuff(MG, sbrs, suppressors)....anything that needs to be done aside from a 5320 in advance?

How is the state with regards to NFA?
Any requirements for purchasing any of them, especially MG's?

Any annoying restrictions in SC for gun ownership?

Any FA friendly private clubs in the Charleston area, that run subgun matches?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to SC! It's a great state to live in.

No special restrictions in SC -- file your 5320.20 and you're good.

Can't help you on the Charleston area though, I'm 4 hours away from there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]
^thank you!
Although we're still in early stages of looking at relocation.  First things first though....guns are priority, along with schools.

I can't seem to find a mg friendly private range anywhere in SC but I'm really looking at the Summerville area.

I live 4 minutes away from my private club which is MG friendly.  It will be hard to leave this and not have something comparable, in what is supposedly a MUCH more gun friendly state.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The only club I know of is Palmetto Gun Club and while they hold many events they don't AFAIK conduct subguns matches there. I've never even heard of any taking place around the Charleston area.
Basically we MG'ers shoot outdoors at the public ranges in the National Forest or on private property. There are several indoor ranges that are FA friendly but who really wants to shoot indoors!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
^thank you, that helps a lot!

That's what I had found....PGC.
With eveything else they offer, I almost couldn't believe that they didn't offer subgun matches.  

Any subgun matches held anywhere in the state?

Couple more questions if anyone wants to help....
We're looking at Summerville area.....is Summerville considered urban?  Or suburban?  We're looking for suburban, so should we be looking just outside of Summerville?
How are the schools in the Summerville area?

And how are houses built in this area?  Basements, attics?  How are the central A/c systems ran-in the attics, in closets, etc?
I'm in the hvac industry, so I'd like to have an idea what it's like here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Summerville is a very nice town. It's somewhat rural, but there is a lot of business and traffic right of the exits.

Have not seen any houses in SC with basements, I'm sure some are out there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Most tract homes built in the last 15 years are on a slab with split systems, attic mounted AHU. You really have to move up price wise to a custom builder in order to find homes on a crawl space anymore. No real basements around here.

Mt.Pleasant & Summerville are booming with new growth but the traffic, IMO, is far worse in Summerville.

Since Mt.P is closer to the ocean and tidal creeks abound most homes are elevated so you have a garage under the home but not a basement. Again split systems with condensers perched on a platform 8' above grade (or more) are the norm in this area depending on the flood zone.

Older homes from the 70's will have a package unit if there's a crawl space but I've also seen split systems in homes that have plenty of crawl space for ductwork, doesn't make sense to me. My kids live in an older subdivision in the West Ashley area of mostly single story brick ranch style homes from the 60's and it seems as if they all are split systems with AHU located in the attic or closet.

IIRC Brohawk lives in Summerville so perhaps he'll chime in to offer more details about his town.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool, thank you for the info.

So ductwork is the norm in this area, with main trunk and air handler in the attic?
With the condenser raised off the ground 8 ft or more?

Anyone using ductless mini splits?

We're open to any area within 45 mins from the coast, but Summerville seemed nice which is why I'm asking about the area.  
My main requirements are good schools and a good outdoor shooting range close by.

If there is any other area that can be recommended that meets these, I'm absolutely open!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool, thank you for the info.

So ductwork is the norm in this area, with main trunk and air handler in the attic?
With the condenser raised off the ground 8 ft or more?
Generally yes, but the raised condenser thing is only in flood zones like Mt. P or property along creeks & rivers.

Anyone using ductless mini splits?
I see them in commercial applications, I don't know about residential use.

We're open to any area within 45 mins from the coast, but Summerville seemed nice which is why I'm asking about the area.  
My main requirements are good schools and a good outdoor shooting range close by.
If there is any other area that can be recommended that meets these, I'm absolutely open!
The money is in Mount Pleasant and growth is explosive there and seemingly everywhere else in the tri-county area now. I'd ask about schools and housing in a new thread given the NFA title of this one and you'll probably get more info.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest 17N, outer Mt. Pleasant, such as Park West. Nice area with good schools.

Palmetto State Armory has a store there and Twin Ponds outdoor range is relatively close by too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would suggest 17N, outer Mt. Pleasant, such as Park West. Nice area with good schools.

Palmetto State Armory has a store there and Twin Ponds outdoor range is relatively close by too.
View Quote

We are really liking this area.  We'd be on the lower end of getting into the area ~$350k but for the schools and the neighborhoods it would be worth it.

Is that twin ponds range fa/NFA friendly?  I know a lot of public ranges don't particularly like MG's.  I'm really interested in Palmetto gun club, but that looks like it's about 45 mins from mount pleasant.  Not horrible, but I won't be able to dump a mag or two every few days like I can now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Twin Ponds and it's sister range Boggy Head both allow NFA / full auto weapons. However Twin Ponds has been closed for months while undergoing a renovation and when reopened will be staffed by a range master. Rumor is no rapid fire and probably no longer open 7 days a week.

For now Boggy Head is the only public non-staffed range in the area and full auto is still permitted. I will add that a couple weeks ago while shooting at Boggy a local guy who likes to play "range wizard" spouted some gibberish about the USFS closing Boggy and it was slated to undergo the same treatment as Twin Ponds. I call BS but time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote

I made another thread, any input over there?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top