Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2013 6:28:20 PM EDT
I know there are lots of folks that have to occasionally travel to/from D.C. that happen to be armed.  I am planning to come up this summer from Florida, but don't know what to do with my firearm(s) before I enter the city.  Is there a gun shop in Virginia that will store it/them for a fee?  What does everyone else do in this situation?  Thanks in advance.

Bryan
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 10:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CBR900] [#1]
Great question!  

First re gunshop:  NO.  Gunshops in VA and MD are required to have an FFL (license).  That license requires the owner to "log in" any firearm on the presense for more than 24 hours.  The rule is:  more than 24 hours = "transfer."  Shops do not offer a "storage option" and even if they did, they would have to price it as high as their transfer fee (about $30 around here).  But, as is, they just do not want to mess with it.  What if you do not return for the gun?  Just too much of a risk for the shops.  A shop where I once helped out used to offer a "gun cleaning service" through the gunsmith we had - but I just called Sharpshooters for you & they do not offer such a service.  I doubt others would.

Second:  You CANNOT visit D.C. with a gun. Or ammunition.  Or even a fired shell casing.  Having any of these with you  - even accidentally - is a crime in D.C. ("unregistered ammunition").

In theory, a federal law called FOPA might protect you but ONLY IF you just drive straight through the ONE interstate in D.C. (route 295) with a gun unloaded in the trunk, but only if you did not stop and were only passing through.  My shooting buddies who work as police in D.C. have consistently told me that if they catch you on ANY road other than the interstate in D.C. with any gun, you will go to jail - even if you are just passing through (ie FOPA does not apply anywhere in D.C. but 295.   That interpretation of FOPA may be wrong, but that is the view of the police in D.C.  and the courts have backed them up on it (as far as I can tell).

However, you specified "visit."  No way to do that with the gun in D.C.

So what do people do?  I have read here and on other gunforums that people sometimes leave the guns at friends homes in VA or MD (no, I will not do that for anyone).  If the gun is locked in a case that the other person does not have access to, it might be OK; I am sure the issue is debatable.  

I also know hunters will sometimes mail a rifle or shotgun to themselves at a hotel where they plan to stay - and the hotel staff is not in violation of law for receiving an unopened package for a guest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks much for the response.  I am aware that any gun/ammo in D.C. is a no no...hence my inquiry.  There are not too many good options as I see it...Reckon I'll stay the hell out of the city!

Bryan
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to wear mine under a nice loose shirt; now I simply don't go into the city.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
There are indeed some stores and smiths that will store guns.  I just don't know of any around that place we call DC.

Originally Posted By CBR900:
Great question!  

First re gunshop:  NO.  Gunshops in VA and MD are required to have an FFL (license).  That license requires the owner to "log in" any firearm on the presense for more than 24 hours.  The rule is:  more than 24 hours = "transfer."  Shops do not offer a "storage option" and even if they did, they would have to price it as high as their transfer fee (about $30 around here).  But, as is, they just do not want to mess with it.  What if you do not return for the gun?  Just too much of a risk for the shops.  A shop where I once helped out used to offer a "gun cleaning service" through the gunsmith we had - but I just called Sharpshooters for you & they do not offer such a service.  I doubt others would.

Second:  You CANNOT visit D.C. with a gun. Or ammunition.  Or even a fired shell casing.  Having any of these with you  - even accidentally - is a crime in D.C. ("unregistered ammunition").

In theory, a federal law called FOPA might protect you but ONLY IF you just drive straight through the ONE interstate in D.C. (route 295) with a gun unloaded in the trunk, but only if you did not stop and were only passing through.  My shooting buddies who work as police in D.C. have consistently told me that if they catch you on ANY road other than the interstate in D.C. with any gun, you will go to jail - even if you are just passing through (ie FOPA does not apply anywhere in D.C. but 295.   That interpretation of FOPA may be wrong, but that is the view of the police in D.C.  and the courts have backed them up on it (as far as I can tell).

So what do people do?  I have read here and on other gunforums that people sometimes leave the guns at friends homes in VA or MD (no, I will not do that for anyone).  If the gun is locked in a case that the other person does not have access to, it might be OK; I am sure the issue is debatable.  

I also know hunters will sometimes mail a rifle or shotgun to themselves at a hotel where they plan to stay - and the hotel staff is not in violation of law for receiving an unopened package for a guest.

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Lock box at a bank.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay in a hotel in the va side of the river, many if them have small safes in the room or bring your own lock box leave gun in hotel room.

Or take metro into the city park your car at a metro garage and lock gun in car.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:16:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cytic] [#7]
There are quite a few ARFCOMers in NOVA, right outside DC. Someone may be willing to store a gun for you.

(I live in Arlington but don't know the legal aspects of storing a gun for someone I don't know)

When is your trip?

ETA: I see that you posted this in May, you may have already come and gone.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
is digging a hole in the sand and inserting your head an acceptable answer?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CBR900:
Great question!  

View Quote

Your cop buddies are true scumbags.  Nice to know they go out of their way to collar the law abiding, passing through gun owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top