Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2016 5:37:55 PM EDT
Last year and years before if you were archery hunting deer, you could take any deer, whitetail or Mule, antlered or antler less.

This year they've changed it to match the same regs as rifle season, so now my many areas around here it's any white tail or antlered mule deer only.

What the hell are we saving all the Muleys for? They're all over the fucking place. I can't imagine you'll save more than a few hundred doing this.

A couple months ago I stopped into game and fish and asked how to tell a white tail from mule deer and she couldn't seem to answer.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Folks behind the desk at the Jackson office wouldn't know much about that.

aside from size:

Muleys: big ears, carried at a distinct angle. tend to appear floppy.

antlers fork

faces white between nose and eyes. both muleys and whitetails have a white path under chin

They tend to stot when alarmed- bouncy gait with all four feet

Whitetails: smaller ears, carried more erect, especially does

antlers are main beam with points rising

faces brown between nose and eyes

tend to gallop when alarmed. Tails flag when alarmed. big white flag when they move away from you, that's a whitetail

All in all, whitetails are more brown, muleys get quite grey by October around here.

I've seen plenty of whitetails in recent years around Jackson, but my feeling is that they tend to be lower, in heavier, wetter cover. Muley's like drier, steeper, more open ground. I can't recall seeing a single whitetail around this valley above 8000'.

Muley's like to go up. If you can get above them you can make them hesitate. Whitetails will run circles in the same patch of cover.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top