Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 1:52:17 PM EDT
Hey folks.  I'll be coming to Wyoming later in the year for an Antelope hunt.  I've never shot one before and I'm wondering what would be a sufficient caliber?  I'd like to use one of my AR's as they are all sighted and ready to go.  I can bring a larger caliber if needed.  Any input would be appreciated.  Will probably be using 64 grain + soft point.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey folks.  I'll be coming to Wyoming later in the year for an Antelope hunt.  I've never shot one before and I'm wondering what would be a sufficient caliber?  I'd like to use one of my AR's as they are all sighted and ready to go.  I can bring a larger caliber if needed.  Any input would be appreciated.  Will probably be using 64 grain + soft point.  

Thanks
View Quote

Three things you need to make sure of, shot placement, shot placement and again, shot placement, do not try running shots, keep them under 200 yards and put it in the bread basket, make sure you are shooting an expanding bullet, I have taken speed goats with a .223, but I prefer my bolt action .270 for hunting, a little longer reach and I custom load my rounds for the particular animal I am hunting, but it can be done with a .223, now I might suggest picking up some actual 5.56 rounds if you can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Three things you need to make sure of, shot placement, shot placement and again, shot placement, do not try running shots, keep them under 200 yards and put it in the bread basket, make sure you are shooting an expanding bullet, I have taken speed goats with a .223, but I prefer my bolt action .270 for hunting, a little longer reach and I custom load my rounds for the particular animal I am hunting, but it can be done with a .223, now I might suggest picking up some actual 5.56 rounds if you can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yeah, I have an old Mauser bolt action .270 that I was considering but, the AR is so much lighter and has way better glass.  I'd be using something like a 64 grain soft point or a Hornady hunting bullet.  Haven't really looked at ammo yet and my reloading press isn't set up at the moment so, I'm stuck with store bought ammo for this hunt.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have an old Mauser bolt action .270 that I was considering but, the AR is so much lighter and has way better glass.  I'd be using something like a 64 grain soft point or a Hornady hunting bullet.  Haven't really looked at ammo yet and my reloading press isn't set up at the moment so, I'm stuck with store bought ammo for this hunt.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Well just make sure your ammo is of the expanding variety and make sure of your shot, and as I said, no running shots, I don't care who you are, those sucker can run over 60 mph and you can't lead them enough to hit them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, have you hunted Texas deer with a .223? Are you happy with it? If you haven't, why experiment on an expensive out-of-state hunting trip? Bring something you have confidence in.

To answer your question:

I know a few people who have used .223/5,56 from blinds at close range, like at stock ponds. At 300 yards, a 55-grain .223 Remington round has as much energy as a 22 Magnum rimfire at the muzzle. A 64 grain bullet will have a bit more energy, but is your hunting style compatible with a limited effective range?  It's tempting to "go long" out on the open prairie. In addition, Pronghorn are basically cardiovascular systems on legs. They can be surprisingly hardy.

I'd suggest using the Federal Fusion or Fusion MSR loads. Generic JSP ammo may shed the jacket too early and leave you with a long walk.  For handloading, I'd look at a Barnes hunting bullet or the Nosler bonded solid base bullet.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you load a 75gr Scirocco?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The Deer Hunting Forum in the Outdoors section has a long running thread about using .223 for deer amd antelope.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, have you hunted Texas deer with a .223? Are you happy with it? If you haven't, why experiment on an expensive out-of-state hunting trip? Bring something you have confidence in.

To answer your question:

I know a few people who have used .223/5,56 from blinds at close range, like at stock ponds. At 300 yards, a 55-grain .223 Remington round has as much energy as a 22 Magnum rimfire at the muzzle. A 64 grain bullet will have a bit more energy, but is your hunting style compatible with a limited effective range?  It's tempting to "go long" out on the open prairie. In addition, Pronghorn are basically cardiovascular systems on legs. They can be surprisingly hardy.

I'd suggest using the Federal Fusion or Fusion MSR loads. Generic JSP ammo may shed the jacket too early and leave you with a long walk.  For handloading, I'd look at a Barnes hunting bullet or the Nosler bonded solid base bullet.

Have fun!
View Quote

Yes, the deer in my part of Texas aren't that large and .223 is sufficient to cleanly kill one.  Most shots are taken at fairly close range as well.  That being said, I've done quite a bit of research the last few days and I'll probably end up using the .270 or .308.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
.223 is plenty, the wife has killed 3 antelope with her AR. They were 50 yards, 175 yards, and 200 yards, two of the three dropped where they stood and the third went 20 yards. I hand load a 65 grain Amax bullet.  As stated above it is all about bullet placement.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have successfully used 64gr Speer Gold Dot to take a couple of antelope at roughly 150-175 yards. Both ran a very short distance, under 20 yards, before expiring. Both were broadside shots through the boiler room. Both were complete penetrations... no bullets recovered.

I've also shot a mule deer with a 70gr TSX, with good results and crazy end to end (reverse Texas heart shot) penetration.

That said... at longer ranges (250+) a bigger caliber might give you more leeway in wind calls and help with bad angles (though antelope are pretty small and fragile).
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:13:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Their small, but they can go a long frickin ways on a sub par shot.  Most people get tempted to shoot farther than they should because you can see antelope so far away.  I would go with a larger caliber.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the same boat with using an AR-15. I also have a 7mm Rem Mag, but that seems to be way too much gun. So I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor to take.

Pulled unit 73.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top