Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 10:54:33 PM EDT
Man I am slowly deciding I really dont like living in Idaho....

Boise anyway, the whole high desert, dry flat and all brown...

Feels wierd here. Plus people here are kind of strange.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then move to N. Idaho, it is green and much less depressing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

You moved to a desert and you're surprised it's brown, hot, and dry?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The high desert is some of the most beautiful land you will ever experience.

I'm not saying this is you, but most people I know who don't like the desert never spend any time out there exploring and experiencing what it holds.  I would spend a morning hunting, early afternoon exploring old ghost towns, mines and other abandoned places.  The afternoon would find me checking out areas with rock formations, petroglyphs and other history.  Evening, when the sun is starting to go down, roll down your windows and let the waves of cool air blow into your car while you cruise home.

I love the high desert.

Eric 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm originally from Ohio.  When I joined the Air Force I put western bases on my dream sheet.  I got Nellis AFB, NV as my first base and I loved the desert and the west.  My wife was from Idaho and when she brought me up here on vacation I liked it.  We decided when we got out of the Air Force we would come here.  I was so excited and down for living in Idaho.  Then within a year I thought I regretted my decision to move here.  That was until I went back to Ohio to visit family.  Within a few days I realized I liked Idaho far more.  I've been here nine years now and I can't picture myself living anywhere else.  

Sure Idaho seems a bit dull and drab at first, but take a drive up north past Horseshoe Bend or north of Arco on 93, go see the Snake River Canyon, go drive out into the Owhyees and your attitude will change.  I always look forward to going out in the back country and I hate coming back to town.  I've seen cattle drives, ghost towns, ruins of old farms, Indian petroglyphs, old C-rat cans left over from GI's on exercise from WW2, watefalls and even lava flows look cool.

The people around here may seem a bit odd here at first, but once people get used to seeing you around they will warm up to you and you'll have friends for life.  Give Idaho a chance, this place will get in your blood, once you pull the curtain back on Idaho, you'll always want to see what comes next.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I get it, I love the Nampa, Boise area but I can understand why others wouldn't. Honestly I'm surprised how many Californians want to move here. My brother lives in California and he thinks we're nuts. In his mind California is the pinnacle of culture and politics. Personally if I never set foot in California again I'd be okay with it. Different strokes for different folks.

As for people, that I don't get what you're saying. We've made a ton of friends, I'm on first name basis with most my neighbors and people are just a whole lot nicer. I love being able to strike up a conversation with a total stranger at the store. People say excuse me, they thank you for holding the door open for them, they get out of the way when you're merging on the freeway. During this winter we would take turns shoveling the driveway of the elderly couple next door. I left town for a couple of days and came back to a shoveled driveway. Idahoans are great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's easy, if you don't like it then find a place you do.
This place is awesome, its hard for me not to tell you to go back where u came from if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did you move from?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where did you move from?
View Quote
If you scan the first two pages of the Idaho Hometown forum you can track all of his posts here and his Idaho progress.  Looks like he moved here for Portland.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you scan the first two pages of the Idaho Hometown forum you can track all of his posts here and his Idaho progress.  Looks like he moved here for Portland.
View Quote
Oops.

I really like Idaho, Iv hunted, hiked and wandered all over the Owyhees. Iv spent time in the sawtooth range  (I'll actually be there in 2 weeks )  and plenty of other places. If you like the outdoors I don't see how you couldn't like it. If I could get my wife to move, id be in Idaho.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny, personal opinions and all that.

I grew up in south Florida, Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood area.  Sandy beaches and all that.  Absolutely zero desire to ever go back.  I can't understand why anyone would live in such a place. 

Desert is a neat area when you spend time looking.  I spent a good bit of time around the west Texas desert, my favorite part of the state.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
So you don't like Boise........

There's always Portland, Or.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting north of the Lucky Peak, to Horseshoe Bend, to Emmett, to Weiser line is a real eye opener if you have only been in the 'Treasure Valley' area. 

I don't mind the Boise - Nampa - Caldwell area in limited doses, but I'll take the mountains every time. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was a teen we drove from Medford to Yellowstone, and it was my first time going through eastern Oregon and Idaho.  Learned then that it was a desert, swore I would never go back to either place.  Now I'm out there every chance I get

Driving from Lakeview to Ontario then: How can anybody live like this, there's nothing out here ?
Now: I know, it's beautiful
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I enjoy this thread.
Gives a little insight into Idaho folks.
I was just there for a few days in late June to look at some places near Meridian/Kuna/etc. And to get a feel for the different areas.
Everyone was friendly, only complaints I heard was Cali folks coming in and driving up home prices.
Flip side is it's good for folks wanting to sell.

But for me....

Gun ranges nearby...check.
Houses in my price range....check
Ability to move the business to Idaho...check
Breweries...check
Offroad stuff nearby...check
Fish/hunt nearby....check
Water/power less than socal...check

Climate similar to socal during summer.
Climate similar to WA during winter.

FWIW....I plan on selling my part-time house in so-cal, to finance the move up there.
So the risk is minimal.

Sorry it didn't work out for the OP.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I moved here (near Lewiston) 2 years ago next month from the mountains of CO.  So many locals ask me, "Why did you move here from CO?"  My answer...  Have you ever lived in CO and dealt with the CA East liberalism, the high taxes, the crowds, the congested/falling apart roads, high cost of living, etc?  We love it here.  Been hard to meet people, though.  Granted, I don't get to a lot of social events.  But most people in this area have lived here their whole lives and everyone knows everyone.  They're friendly, just kind of close knit bunch.  But that's OK.  Not wrong, just different.  I wish I'd moved here 30 years ago when I got out of the AF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top