Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 11:09:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
14 years of draws, only drew once, and that was a hot year that threw off normal migrations

really wish they did a system like Wyoming's
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I got 3 out of 4, but I go for the easy ones.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I drew Muzzleloader Antelope (hunt 4040) in 30A.  it is east and south of Leadore to the Montana border.  I don't know the area.  Anyone got any hints on where to hunt. Its about 90 minutes from my house so I'll be scouting several weeks before.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't help you on the Antelope hunt.  I got drawn for the Muzzleloader Cow Elk hunt in 39.

I am debating going for a general season Whitetail tag so I can hunt either sex north of McCall by about an hour.

Eric 
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't help you on the Antelope hunt.  I got drawn for the Muzzleloader Cow Elk hunt in 39.

I am debating going for a general season Whitetail tag so I can hunt either sex north of McCall by about an hour.

Eric 
View Quote
I've only seen Mule Deer in the Elk City zone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've drawn cow elk 2 times muzzy on both. Very fun hunts. Got a muzzy buck tag this year. I've had good luck but I play the odds. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've drawn cow elk 2 times muzzy on both. Very fun hunts. Got a muzzy buck tag this year. I've had good luck but I play the odds. 
View Quote
I kilt a bull elk with a .58 cal Hawken replica over in the Bitterroot a bunch of years ago. It was a challenge to say the least. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
My old muzzle loader keeps giving me problems. I didn't filled either of those elk tags. Had a hang fire on the first hunt, and shot right over the top of her, of course couldn't get close again. Last year discovered that the cold affected it. Wouldn't fire on the first trigger pull. This year I'm going to practice a lot more with it. I have a feeling that the spring may need to be replaced. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My old muzzle loader keeps giving me problems. I didn't filled either of those elk tags. Had a hang fire on the first hunt, and shot right over the top of her, of course couldn't get close again. Last year discovered that the cold affected it. Wouldn't fire on the first trigger pull. This year I'm going to practice a lot more with it. I have a feeling that the spring may need to be replaced. 
View Quote
I figured out early on that at the end of every day a guy needs to fire the load you hunted with that day and reload first thing in the morning. 
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I figured out early on that at the end of every day a guy needs to fire the load you hunted with that day and reload first thing in the morning. 
View Quote
Indeed. After I came back out of the woods my buddies had a good laugh at me. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine wouldn't fire the first time either.  I changed nipples and problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mine wouldn't fire the first time either.  I changed nipples and problem solved.
View Quote
Getting a rebuild kit I'm going to try first, which has a new spring in it. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What muzzleloaders are you guys using?  I'm looking at the Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralight.  It is a light rifle, which I really like.  If anyone has any experience with this one, let me know.

Eric  
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a very old Knight mk85 in 54. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
My black powder days were before these new in-line guns. I hunted with a .58 cal Hawken replica. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top