Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 5:53:05 PM EDT
My adult (26) daughter will be moving to Idaho late in June.

I bought her a .22 Bearcat for her 16th birthday ten years ago.  I never transferred it to her here in CA (I've always maintained possession).

In moving to Idaho are there any requirements for her to now "own" the gun?  Here in CA there's some hoops to jump through to transfer a handgun and I know nothing of Idaho laws in this regard.

I'll be driving up to Idaho for the 4th of July.  I was thinking the simplest thing would be for me to just bring it to her at that time, hand it off, and then be done with it. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any input.

-ppknut
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Idaho is a free state.  If she says it's her gun, then it's her gun.  Guns aren't titled, registered, or put on paper with anyone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I was pretty sure that was the case.

Just doing my due diligence on the subject.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have her pick up your wishlist while she's here and prices are cheap (they'd be hers of course, but you'd get to use them anytime you came up to visit heh). There's no wait time or limit to how many you can buy a month, hell I don't think there's a limit to how many you can buy in a day. When she has her CWP she just fills out the 4473, pays, and walks out the door purchase in hand. No CWP then they'll have to call in, but still walks out the door purchase in hand. She should really get her CWP even though we're constitutional carry now, handy for gun shops and travels out of state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
and a trust with both of you on it for the NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My adult (26) daughter will be moving to Idaho late in June.

I bought her a .22 Bearcat for her 16th birthday ten years ago.  I never transferred it to her here in CA (I've always maintained possession).

In moving to Idaho are there any requirements for her to now "own" the gun?  Here in CA there's some hoops to jump through to transfer a handgun and I know nothing of Idaho laws in this regard.

I'll be driving up to Idaho for the 4th of July.  I was thinking the simplest thing would be for me to just bring it to her at that time, hand it off, and then be done with it. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any input.

-ppknut
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure:

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You should come up and visit her, you'd be surprised how much freer it feels here. No one thinks you're a criminal for owning a 12 gauge. 
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ten years ago in CA there was no paperwork requirement for parent to child transfers. You gave it to her on her birthday, yes? If so, even if it sat in your safe, you can return her property to her. Had she not owned it prior, it would be illegal (Federally) for you to give the gun without going thru a 01 FFL because of interstate commerce.

So just return her property to her when you see her next.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
That's the plan.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Still waiting on pics...
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still waiting on pics...
View Quote
Pic already provided.  No others available nor required.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Just kidding
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
While I'm at it........

Since I'll be there the week of the 4th of July, I thought I might bring a few other toys (rifles and pistols) and play.

Are there open space (BLM or USFS) places to shoot within a 1/2hr to 1hr away from the Boise area?  I generally do not like organized ranges, especially when I'm trying to monitor new shooters.

Here in CA nobody likes to give up their secret shooting spots, so I understand any hesitancy in divulging such info.  So please feel free to IM me any info you can or are willing to give.

Thanks
-ppknut

ETA:  I am usually the one that cleans up everyone else's trash, so no mess from me!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I'm at it........

Since I'll be there the week of the 4th of July, I thought I might bring a few other toys (rifles and pistols) and play.

Are there open space (BLM or USFS) places to shoot within a 1/2hr to 1hr away from the Boise area?  I generally do not like organized ranges, especially when I'm trying to monitor new shooters.

Here in CA nobody likes to give up their secret shooting spots, so I understand any hesitancy in divulging such info.  So please feel free to IM me any info you can or are willing to give.

Thanks
-ppknut

ETA:  I am usually the one that cleans up everyone else's trash, so no mess from me!!
View Quote
Yeah theres a few places to go that you would like. Out past the airport and ng armory is a good place or ghe george nourse range. Its an actual range but its outdoors and free with no range officers. Thats where I go and its always fun!

Just use your google fu and tou will find the george nourse range. I prob spelled it wrong though. I live like 4 miles from down town boise and it takes me 35-45 minutes to get to that range....
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top