Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 10:41:34 AM EDT

Heading out today to start the slaughter
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cruel.  Love animals, don't blow them up!! 

I went out a few weeks ago, just to pop a couple.  I'll be heading out this week to start getting more.  My 22 Nosler build should be done by the end of the week, so Rock Chuck are next on my list!

Attachment Attached File

What areas are you hitting?

Eric 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Jealous!

Are there public places for this or do you have to know someone?  I have a Stag Varmint that is sitting home, bored.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There's tons of places, I got about 5 yesterday (no pics sorry).  They are not out in full numbers yet, but soon they Will be.  I've got over a hundred in a day last year.

We should all get together and wipe some out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's cruel.  Love animals, don't blow them up!! 

I went out a few weeks ago, just to pop a couple.  I'll be heading out this week to start getting more.  My 22 Nosler build should be done by the end of the week, so Rock Chuck are next on my list!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52158/WP-2017-163994.JPG

What areas are you hitting?

Eric 
View Quote

Out by the airport there are a few places to set up and wipe them out.  Usually spend an afternoon relaxing out there and shooting them.
I wanna get some rock chuck time in too, thinking about a trip to Twin falls for that.

Nice rifle, I'm usually using silenced 22 or 556.  308 every once in a while
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Never gone hunting for them, what are you guys doing, selling the fur?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never gone hunting for them, what are you guys doing, selling the fur?
View Quote

Nah, I wouldn't touch them. Possible plague vectors. Just fun to see them pop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
We are feeding the other whistle pigs.  Shoot one, and within a few minutes another hungry bastard comes over and starts eating the guts!  After that, other winged and furred critters will clean up the rest.

I'm going about 10 minutes from my house.  I am not shooting a lot now, just waiting for the young ones to start coming out.

Eric 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the politically correct term is reactive target.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free reactive targets
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Free reactive targets
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free reactive targets
  Free range reactive targets. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I start gettng all giddy the first time I see one every year.  Then my father in law and I go out a few times until the brush gets too thick or it gets too hot out.  In those trips I usually get 50 to 100 if I'm really looking.  My FIL is retired and he just slaughters them for a few weeks.  

I usually go out around the Orchard Training Area or off Swan Falls road by Coyote Butte.  Anyone know any other areas that are good if you're willing to share?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We are feeding the other whistle pigs.  Shoot one, and within a few minutes another hungry bastard comes over and starts eating the guts!  After that, other winged and furred critters will clean up the rest.

I'm going about 10 minutes from my house.  I am not shooting a lot now, just waiting for the young ones to start coming out.

Eric 
View Quote

That was my favorite, shooting one and letting the others eat it then picking them off.

I have shot quite a few just stomping through the brush, with a shot gun as well. I would occasionally kick up a badger that way as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone is interested, the Idaho Varmint Hunters meeting is tonight at The Sunrise Cafe in Middleton at 7:00PM.   It's a casual meeting, where everyone orders a meal and enjoys the conversation.

We will probably be talking a lot about WP hunting tonight!

Eric 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested, the Idaho Varmint Hunters meeting is tonight at The Sunrise Cafe in Middleton at 7:00PM.   It's a casual meeting, where everyone orders a meal and enjoys the conversation.

We will probably be talking a lot about WP hunting tonight!

Eric 
View Quote

I have my youngun tonight

Maybe a different night I'd hang out for that
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
So I'm new to hunting and I had two guys tell me where to go get some whistle pigs near Boise. Both told me the same place, past the airport on Pleasant Valley Rd, across the train tracks where it turns into a dirt road. Drive for a couple of miles and pull off anywhere. Well I did that and there were signs all over the place about it being the Snake River Birds of Prey conservatory and no shooting is allowed. I took a picture of one of the signs and sent it to my buddy and he said he's never seen them before.

This something new?

/edit

I just went onto the Idaho Fish and game website and it clearly state that hunting is permitted in this area. WTH.
https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/ibt/site.aspx?id=65
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
You have to keep going.  Once you are past the big power lines you are out of the safe area
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You have to keep going.  Once you are past the big power lines you are out of the safe area
View Quote
That's embarrassing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top