Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 10:22:48 AM EDT
I'm moving back to Alaska from the lower 48 in June. This time I'm bringing a sizable scotch collection with me.

What I can find says I can only import basically 2 bottles duty free.

I can't seem to find what it'll cost to bring the rest with me so I don't have to ship them with the movers. Anyone have a lead on where I could get that info?

ETA: 22 bottles all open and at least half full.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will this be in a trailer or your vehicle?
I'll have to do some digging but out east it is illegal to have open liquor in your vehicle (passenger compartment).
As for what it cost..if you declair it at the border I would be surprised if it cost you anything. Of all the CBSA officers I've talked to..they are not fond of collecting taxes. they would much rather be going after dope, weapons, illegals,etc..
You can start here..http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm moving back to Alaska from the lower 48 in June. This time I'm bringing a sizable scotch collection with me.

What I can find says I can only import basically 2 bottles duty free.

I can't seem to find what it'll cost to bring the rest with me so I don't have to ship them with the movers. Anyone have a lead on where I could get that info?

ETA: 22 bottles all open and at least half full.
Will this be in a trailer or your vehicle?
I'll have to do some digging but out east it is illegal to have open liquor in your vehicle (passenger compartment).
As for what it cost..if you declair it at the border I would be surprised if it cost you anything. Of all the CBSA officers I've talked to..they are not fond of collecting taxes. they would much rather be going after dope, weapons, illegals,etc..
You can start here..http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more searching this weekend.

They'll either be in the bed of the truck or in the trailer. No need to have them in the seat next to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll check with some CBSA folks I know..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more searching this weekend.

They'll either be in the bed of the truck or in the trailer. No need to have them in the seat next to me.
I'll check with some CBSA folks I know..

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From a CBSA officer. I'd have a good idea how much you have, declare it all and go from there. Best case scenario..you will get a "have a nice day". worst case..it will cost you some duty,etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Technically he's only entitled to bring 1.14 litres of hard liquor before paying duties and taxes.

From a CBSA officer. I'd have a good idea how much you have, declare it all and go from there. Best case scenario..you will get a "have a nice day". worst case..it will cost you some duty,etc.

Any idea what the duty rate is?  I have no problem paying $100-$200 to bring it through.  What I don't want to run into is $50/bottle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No I don't..maybe give them a call..I think where you cross has an effect on it too..provincial taxes...
View Quote

Thanks. Time to get on the phone when everything opens back up on Monday.

So what's the NY of Canada? was planning on entering in Alberta.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Alberta is the Texas of Canada..Ontario is the NY,NJ,California of Canada..with Quebec a close second.
The latest suggestion from a CBSA officer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No I don't..maybe give them a call..I think where you cross has an effect on it too..provincial taxes...

Thanks. Time to get on the phone when everything opens back up on Monday.

So what's the NY of Canada? was planning on entering in Alberta.
Alberta is the Texas of Canada..Ontario is the NY,NJ,California of Canada..with Quebec a close second.
The latest suggestion from a CBSA officer.

Buy some styrofoam lines boxes like used for wine and ship using a trusted courier with insurance.

Still cheaper than getting hit up with the taxes at the POE.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top