Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2013 2:57:13 AM EDT
So I spent some time in BC during college and thought very hard about just immigrating. I am revisiting the idea of dual citizenship for a few reasons.
One) I want to be able to move freely across borders and maybe even buy property
Two) Canada has an education system that is far superior from the states, I was meeting kids out of high school who could not only read and write but had read things like Beowulf AND understood it. When I have kids I want them to have that opportunity, our schools are more like indoctrination centers...and yes I would be happy to pay Canadian taxes for my kids to get a Canadian education.

Three) There are Canadian companies I would like to work for over seas and a CA passport would help

Four) There are places in this world were it is safer to pass through customs with a CA passport, I am ginger and most third worlders think I am either a Brit or German for some reason

I loved BC but do not want to live in Vancouver... Victoria would be a good place, even Nanaimo or further north.

How are Americans recieved in CA with dual citizenship? I was there as a student last time and people were cool to me, but that was in 2000 and the world has changed. Any idea on how difficult this would be? are Americans allowed in the CA Army reserves? or am I looking at a nightmare of paper work and back ground checks? As for work, I can do many things, including Maritime, fishing and private security, are non Canadians allowed to work in LE?  My French is basic and a bit rusty but nothing that cannot be improved with exposure.

What are the draw backs to having a dual Canadian citizenship? apart from the gun laws and taxes?
Socialized health care is what it is, I think we are going to have a far worse situation in the states.
For the record, I am adamant about being a contributing member of society, my country is being eaten alive by parasites and I wouldnt wish that on anyone

And no you wont hear me complaining about how it was better back home, except for gun laws and that may be changing as well
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm dual, living in WA currently, and ya education in Canada is awesome
No drawbacks that ive encountered

My dad was dual so it was easy, get married dude it's the easiest way.
Google immigration canada and look up criteria, email them too....don't expect it to be easy.
First thing they'll say is..."u live in a free wealthy country you have no reason to come here"
good luck
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
good to know thank you

BTW my Ex GF was a medical assistant and the clinic she works at saw a spike in immigration physicals headed north, ironically they were mostly medical minded people

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a dually, nothing but win.

Even as a baby milk came in bags
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking of doing the same thing. My girl friend is a dual citizen so I'm pretty much set if I wanted to get married and then get my citizenship. I'm thinking of going to school up there and maybe working for the provincial parks. I'm getting pretty sick of the states and Canada is looking better every day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen. Born in Canada, moved to the US for employment (PhD scientist), married an American, and naturalized. No downsides that I can see. I'm free to live and work in either the US or Canada.

Some things to keep in mind - it will be a years-long process. First you will have to find a way to get into Canada, possibly by employment.  Next you need to become a permanent resident (the old name for this was "landed immigrant", you may see references to this term when you search). After a certain period as a permanent resident, you can apply for citizenship. Also, as an American, you will need to file a US tax return even if you are living outside the US. Canada taxes its citizens only if they live in Canada.  The US taxes citizens wherever they live.  There are foreign income exclusions, so you may not actually owe any tax, but you must file a return.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
you want to come to canada then get a red seal trade done... our employment advisors tell the goverment there is going to be a shortage of qualified workers in trades by 2015.

Pipefitting, Electrical, so on and so on is the easiest route into the country.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Born in Edmonton to American Parents. Wife too.
One kid was born in Edmonton, one in the US.
We're all dual. Kinda nice to have.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
or am I looking at a nightmare of paper work and back ground checks?

Well I wouldn't call it a nightmare but you have to go through the immigration procedure like anyone else from any other country, www.cic.gc.ca

The typical way of doing it is to get a temporary work permit, which is valid for four years (employer sponsors you for this, you have to get a positive labour market opinion, i.e. they need you and can't find anyone in Canada to do it).  Once you're in Canada the employer sponsors you for permanent residence if they want to keep you, once you are an LPR you have to meet the residency requirements to get Canadian citizenship.

It's similar to the US immigration procedure but there is no quota on work permits and they are somewhat easier to get.

Americans I meet here who have TWPs tell me the main downside to living in Canada is the cost of living, property is much more expensive here than in the US generally, especially in lower mainland BC.

Contrary to popular belief though the taxes aren't always higher, payroll taxes are much lower than in the US and the income tax rate in BC for example is quite low up to around $100,000 of income.

Even if the taxes are higher in some places, you have to bear in mind that healthcare is a lot cheaper.

Really it's the cost of rent or a mortgage that is the major difference.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not dual yet... I am planning on it.  I was born in the US so I talked to my representative at the embassy about it and since my dad was American and my mom Canadian it doesn't matter where I was born since I'm "automatically" qualified should I choose to.  I really need to get it done just because I always think about moving back (lived there for awhile as a child).  If it wasn't for all the gun restrictions I would probably have already gone back, I love it and have always considered it as much my home country as the US.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not dual yet... I am planning on it.  I was born in the US so I talked to my representative at the embassy about it and since my dad was American and my mom Canadian it doesn't matter where I was born since I'm "automatically" qualified should I choose to.  I really need to get it done just because I always think about moving back (lived there for awhile as a child).  If it wasn't for all the gun restrictions I would probably have already gone back, I love it and have always considered it as much my home country as the US.
View Quote

I'm a dually too. Same situation as you. Born in the US, dad was a US citizen, mom is a Canadian. Applied just for fun. Took about three months and now I'm a citizen of both countries. Next, I'll work on getting a passport. My Canadian relatives tell me Cuba is really cheap to visit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm a dually too. Same situation as you. Born in the US, dad was a US citizen, mom is a Canadian. Applied just for fun. Took about three months and now I'm a citizen of both countries. Next, I'll work on getting a passport. My Canadian relatives tell me Cuba is really cheap to visit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was required? I was told it's not difficult, just time consuming.  I really need to get it done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If one of your parents is Canadian, it's very simple, you just need a copy of their birth certificate and your birth certificate (listing them as one of the parents) and apply for a passport.  That simple.

They changed the Citizenship Act a few years ago to reduce the ability to get citizenship by inheritance.  Your parent needs to have been born in Canada to pass it on.  It's caused a lot of stink here because there are people for example born in Vermont because that's where the nearest hospital is and then they move abroad, have a kid with a foreigner, want to come back and find out their child isn't a Canadian citizen because of this law.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
For those who live in the USA never intend to live in Canada, what would be the benefit of having dual citizenship?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For those who live in the USA never intend to live in Canada, what would be the benefit of having dual citizenship?
View Quote

The ability to go back and force whenever.
The ability to work in either country without extra paperwork.
Having property, businesses, guns, etc. in either country.

There are hundreds of reasons.

Basically goes with the saying "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

For me, I have a close female friend that I wouldn't mind being closer to, so it'd do me well on being able to live here or there without visas and all that. I'm still trying to figure out how to persuade her on coming to Montana where I'm thinking about moving.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I plan to do it because I'm equally proud of my heritage and I've always considered myself both an American and a Canadian plus I may move back someday, I do miss it.  The main thing that has kept me away is having to give up my gun rights.  Shooting is one of the few things I can still do with my disability issues and thought of giving up most of my guns and being heavily regulated on the rest doesn't sit well.  Who knows what the future holds though, there may come a day where I can't use them like I want to and give it all up and cash in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm thinking of the same thing.  I work in Canada, wife is Canadian.  I have more in common with Yukon/northern BC folks than those fellows in the lower 48.

I was told the best way to go for permanent resident status is to go for Canadian Experience instead of a spousal visa as the Spousal route queue is pretty crowded.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My mother was Canadian. She discovered my sister and I could claim Canadian citizenship and encouraged us to do so. We spent half our lives in Canada, primarily at Christina Lake, which is about 2.5 hours north of Spokane. We have many friends and family in Canada, so it just made sense to do. The process was quite simple. In fact, getting my Canadian passport was substantially more complicated than getting my Canadian citizenship.

Canada is a part of my life, it made sense to become dual citizen. I'm so pleased my mother got to see my Canadian citizenship certificate and ID card before cancer took her. She was pretty thrilled and so was I. I don't even have an American passport, I plan to just use my Canadian one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top