Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
Do any of you shoot CMP matches out there in Montana?  I just got back a few days ago from visiting the ranch with Jenzilla- it is about 2 hours from everywhere it seems, right in the middle of the state.  I believe next spring/summer I will try and make it out for a CMP leg match out there...because a) why not, and b) I get paid time off work for it.  I've been looking at CMPs results list, it it appears most the matches only get 8 to 12 people in Montana.  

What gives?  You guys know just about any AR15/sight with at least a 4.5lbs trigger works for CMP these days, right?

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They just had one in Missoula on June 23.  For more information go to the Montana Rifle and Pistol Association website.  It has all the NRA matches listed.  The next leg match should be in August in Butte.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
There are not many in MT, and with the distances involved chasing the few matches around the state is problematic.  

While matches are held at the Deep Creek range in the Missoula area I haven't found a CMP-affiliated club here. I keep a membership to a club in Lewiston, ID just to be able to order/buy stuff from the CMP which requires membership in a CMP affiliated club.  Considering the availability of the Deer Creek and Deep Creek ranges its surprising that no clubs here are CMP affiliated.

So if one is serious about service rifle shooting one has to handle things on their own and chase the few organized matches around the state on road trips. Plus there's CMP matches in adjacent states like Idaho (Idaho Falls, Boise, Lewiston).  

With your ranches location you'll be driving long-distances a lot. That's normal out here in the west compared to things back east.  Then there's driving long-distances in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are not many in MT, and with the distances involved chasing the few matches around the state is problematic.  

While matches are held at the Deep Creek range in the Missoula area I haven't found a CMP-affiliated club here. I keep a membership to a club in Lewiston, ID just to be able to order/buy stuff from the CMP which requires membership in a CMP affiliated club.  Considering the availability of the Deer Creek and Deep Creek ranges its surprising that no clubs here are CMP affiliated.

So if one is serious about service rifle shooting one has to handle things on their own and chase the few organized matches around the state on road trips. Plus there's CMP matches in adjacent states like Idaho (Idaho Falls, Boise, Lewiston).  

With your ranches location you'll be driving long-distances a lot. That's normal out here in the west compared to things back east.  Then there's driving long-distances in the winter.
View Quote
I'm actually from just outside Pocatello, work unfortunately brought me east. Driving long distances is not a problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Service rifle is dead in my opinion.  Come shoot 3gun instead, lots more fun, lots more action, and hey - 3 GUNS!!

Seriously, 3GUN in Missoula, Helena, or Billings gets 40 plus people per match on a monthly basis.  Go to montanashootingsports.com for more info on action shooing (USPSA, PRS, 3GUN, etc.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Service rifle is dead in my opinion.  Come shoot 3gun instead, lots more fun, lots more action, and hey - 3 GUNS!!

Seriously, 3GUN in Missoula, Helena, or Billings gets 40 plus people per match on a monthly basis.  Go to montanashootingsports.com for more info on action shooing (USPSA, PRS, 3GUN, etc.)
View Quote
Unfortunately, I will remain stuck on the east coast for work for a while. My job will give me paid time off without counting it against my usual paid leave for service rifle or service pistol matches (and provide match grade ammunition), but not 3 gun. So travel specifically to a service rifle match is easy, but to 3 gun is a nigh impossible sell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I will remain stuck on the east coast for work for a while. My job will give me paid time off without counting it against my usual paid leave for service rifle or service pistol matches (and provide match grade ammunition), but not 3 gun. So travel specifically to a service rifle match is easy, but to 3 gun is a nigh impossible sell.
View Quote
Are you mil?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you mil?
View Quote
I'm a reservist now, but my civilian employer will provide me with ammo and paid time off to attend Marine Corps approved service rifle/pistol matches.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a reservist now, but my civilian employer will provide me with ammo and paid time off to attend Marine Corps approved service rifle/pistol matches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you mil?
Very good deal from your employer.

Thanks for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top