Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 12:45:25 PM EDT
Montana friends,

My husband and I are looking at buying some acreage and a cabin in the Bull mountains in central MT - anyone on here live near there or know anything about the area? Thank you!!

~Jenzilla
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has a small place in the Bulls.   What info are you looking for?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask away. I am somewhat familiar with the bulls. Patrolled a lot of the roads, fought a lot of fire up there too. Some areas are nice, others are crap.
View Quote

similar to the neighbors.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all!
Was wondering if most of the Bulls are truly "year round accessible". I have 4x4, that's not a problem, just wondering if it's an "ok, you can get there in a truck" situation or if there are actually decent, cared-for gravel roads back up to US 12?

Also wondering if it gets enough rain to have a homestead farm in addition to growing grass for horses? Or if the wells in the area get good enough water flow to do small amounts of irrigation?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks all!
Was wondering if most of the Bulls are truly "year round accessible". I have 4x4, that's not a problem, just wondering if it's an "ok, you can get there in a truck" situation or if there are actually decent, cared-for gravel roads back up to US 12?

Also wondering if it gets enough rain to have a homestead farm in addition to growing grass for horses? Or if the wells in the area get good enough water flow to do small amounts of irrigation?
View Quote

Honestly, it really depends on the place. " Musselshell gumbo" is famos for being nasty slimy mud .  My friends place has a good well and they graze cattle on the place.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Well.  We closed on the ranch...all 320 acres of it.  Jenzilla is up there now, with no cellphone service, no internet, and the solar system on the cabin isn't working so no electricity.  But the stove and fridge are propane so we have that going for us.  She called me from the copper wire landline phone (awesome...haven't talked to someone on one of those for a while) and says she absolutely loves it.  

I'll be flying out 0500 tomorrow morning from the east coast to join her for a bit, get a feel for the place and what not.  Pick a place to put a house and a well.  Anyone want to meet in Roundup for dinner one night?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
If you make it over to the Flathead, let me know and I'll buy you guys a drink.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well.  We closed on the ranch...all 320 acres of it.  Jenzilla is up there now, with no cellphone service, no internet, and the solar system on the cabin isn't working so no electricity.  But the stove and fridge are propane so we have that going for us.  She called me from the copper wire landline phone (awesome...haven't talked to someone on one of those for a while) and says she absolutely loves it.  

I'll be flying out 0500 tomorrow morning from the east coast to join her for a bit, get a feel for the place and what not.  Pick a place to put a house and a well.  Anyone want to meet in Roundup for dinner one night?
View Quote
Busy Bee or The Keg?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Busy Bee or The Keg?  
View Quote
Your call, we haven't experienced either.  

On a whole separate note, anyone want free firewood?  Like, all that you can fit on a truck and then some?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
So...well got put in today. Looks like 4 gallons a minute.  Less than pretty much all the wells around us unfortunately, but at least it wasn't a dry hole.  Anyone have experience with cisterns?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Cistern in that area should be under ground due to winter freeze.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So...well got put in today. Looks like 4 gallons a minute.  Less than pretty much all the wells around us unfortunately, but at least it wasn't a dry hole.  Anyone have experience with cisterns?
View Quote
Im curious who drilled your well?  My wife and I just moved into Lavina.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gordan.  First name Jim iirc.  I wasn't there when it was done, @Jenzilla can chime in if I am incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jim Gordon out of Roundup, he and his son (Jay, I think) run the business "Gordon Drilling" - I was really impressed with them. Wells in our area are hit or miss, we'd have liked more water, but it is what it is. But they were amazing working around my schedule, and being comfortable with mailing me a bill after finishing the work when I had to leave town. They also came out next-day to fix a problem with the 4.5gpm choke they put in, and at no cost.

I highly recommend them, solid hand-shake kind of business and a good job done.

On another note, any of you gents know anyone who grows potatoes in central MT? Any recommended methods/areas? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you go with a cistern?

With your well output that would be the way to go, and as mentioned before putting it underground in the way to go.

Montana is a major seed potato area due to the winter conditions that minimize pests/diseases. Many if not all catalogs won't ship to MT to protect the state from crap from out-of-state but you can get seed potatoes from several sources. Here's some info.

IMP Centers

MSU Potato directory

Seedsavers in Manhattan, MT

Recipes

BTW if you have the clay gumbo problem in your area plan/prep accordingly since that stuff is nasty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweet, thanks!

We do get the gumbo, so that's going to be fun... but while traveling we talked to a lady from Switzerland who said that they grew potatoes in tires stacked up: lay down a tire, throw in some seed potatoes, fill with dirt, stack another tire on top, etc. Then just knock the stack down to harvest them.

She said it worked great, I think that or some sort of raised bed may be the way to go for us. Or just plant the tatoes on a hill. We'll figure it out, haha.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea I think that's a form of raised bed, which I really like. If you go the raised bed route consider putting some hardware cloth underneath to deter those east-side gophers/ground squirrels.

Too bad you have to deal with the gumbo.  Once I awhile back I was in my F250 4WD and got into a patch of it on perfectly level ground. I ended up with all four wheels turning and building up on each tire. Fortunately I had a front winch and enough cable to reach out to a large rock and I dragged my rig off that gumbo patch to get going again. Of course I had to listen to god knows how much clay flinging off the tires. When I got into town I immediately went to the car wash to blast the rest of that clay crap off.  So I hate the gumbo unless its from Louisiana and in a big pot if you know what I mean.

If you have an alternative route to bypass a patch or two of the clay on your property it may be worth it when conditions make that crap a pain.

Lastly consider a cistern since the east-side can get a bit droughty at times.

Are you folks bouncing back & forth between VA and MT or have you moved to MT now?

BTW you can get internet via satellite service.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jim Gordon out of Roundup, he and his son (Jay, I think) run the business "Gordon Drilling" - I was really impressed with them. Wells in our area are hit or miss, we'd have liked more water, but it is what it is. But they were amazing working around my schedule, and being comfortable with mailing me a bill after finishing the work when I had to leave town. They also came out next-day to fix a problem with the 4.5gpm choke they put in, and at no cost.

On another note, any of you gents know anyone who grows potatoes in central MT? Any recommended methods/areas? Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My GGrandparents,grandparents,aunts and uncles had no trouble growing potatoes.
Even on flood plains of the musselshell.
Used raised beds and regular beds.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yea I think that's a form of raised bed, which I really like. If you go the raised bed route consider putting some hardware cloth underneath to deter those east-side gophers/ground squirrels.

Too bad you have to deal with the gumbo.  Once I awhile back I was in my F250 4WD and got into a patch of it on perfectly level ground. I ended up with all four wheels turning and building up on each tire. Fortunately I had a front winch and enough cable to reach out to a large rock and I dragged my rig off that gumbo patch to get going again. Of course I had to listen to god knows how much clay flinging off the tires. When I got into town I immediately went to the car wash to blast the rest of that clay crap off.  So I hate the gumbo unless its from Louisiana and in a big pot if you know what I mean.

If you have an alternative route to bypass a patch or two of the clay on your property it may be worth it when conditions make that crap a pain.

Lastly consider a cistern since the east-side can get a bit droughty at times.

Are you folks bouncing back & forth between VA and MT or have you moved to MT now?

BTW you can get internet via satellite service.
View Quote
Yeah, a cistern is in the plans, definitely.

We're part-timing right now until we're done working in VA. hoping to get out once every couple of months as we build up for moving in full time. I figure that potatoes are the easiest crop that can be pretty much fully neglected and still do ok.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Since you've started your journey as a Montanan with your new property if you like reading I'd recommend a good book that is quintessentially Montana...."This House of Sky - Landscapes of a Western Mind" by Ivan Doig,....

and his Montana trilogy consisting of "English Creek", "Dancing at Rascal Fair" and "Ride with Me, Mariah Montana" books.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Depending on how many taters you plan to grow, I've seen all kinds of variations on that tire method. From smaller single plants in 5 gallon buckets, to bigger crops in 55gal drums, large wash tubs, old livestock watering troughs, kiddie pools, etc. Also various tire sizes from regular passenger car size up to large tractor tires. If you can turn the tires inside out, they stand taller and look a tad more appealing - at least to my eyes. They're also easier to get everything out of that way.

I saw one method that was a large kiddie pool with a 5 gallon bucket in the middle. The pool was the actual garden, and the bucket was the watering system. He drilled a couple of small holes in the bucket before putting it into the soil. Then he could fill it with water and let it slowly trickle from those holes throughout the day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Since you've started your journey as a Montanan with your new property if you like reading I'd recommend a good book that is quintessentially Montana...."This House of Sky - Landscapes of a Western Mind" by Ivan Doig,....

and his Montana trilogy consisting of "English Creek", "Dancing at Rascal Fair" and "Ride with Me, Mariah Montana" books.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, just got it this morning, it'll be the plane-ride read!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Depending on how many taters you plan to grow, I've seen all kinds of variations on that tire method. From smaller single plants in 5 gallon buckets, to bigger crops in 55gal drums, large wash tubs, old livestock watering troughs, kiddie pools, etc. Also various tire sizes from regular passenger car size up to large tractor tires. If you can turn the tires inside out, they stand taller and look a tad more appealing - at least to my eyes. They're also easier to get everything out of that way.

I saw one method that was a large kiddie pool with a 5 gallon bucket in the middle. The pool was the actual garden, and the bucket was the watering system. He drilled a couple of small holes in the bucket before putting it into the soil. Then he could fill it with water and let it slowly trickle from those holes throughout the day.
View Quote
Nice redneck variation on the bulb-waterer, I like it, haha!

I've seen inside-out tractor tires for hay-corrals for cows/horses, only thing is they're hard to stack. We'll do some experimenting, we have a little scrap wood laying around and lots of burned trees, so I think a raised bed inside those may be the first attempt, then moving on to stacked tires if we don't get the desired results. We're headed out there next week, but I think we'll be a bit preoccupied with firewood over making anything outside for a while, haha!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top