Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2016 2:30:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't rifle  hunt until the second day, I have a gift fair in Dillon to sell jewelry at on opening day
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Went coyote hunting, didn't call any in. Found a prairie dog town, shot one, saw blood through the scope and saw him flop. Went to take a look and he had run back down his hole, leaving a bud trail. 55gr HPs
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Took my 13 year old out for the youth hunt, great time stalking within 20 yards of a muley doe. Heavy winds allowed me to coach him through the process of setting up and aiming (we were on rocks above the herd), he got into position and I was whispering "slowly squeeeeeeze the trigger" and BOOM.......deer running everywhere. I saw the bullet impact the rocks behind and didn't have a second shot. Put my hand on my kids back and his heartbeat was stupid fast.... Seems he got a case of the deer fever.

Stalked the same group about 500 yards away and this time had a 153 yard shot, he missed again. Poor kid was defeated. Needs more dry fire and trigger time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems he got a case of the deer fever.
View Quote
No one is immune to it. I thought I was until a few years ago. Biggest GD bull elk I've ever seen in my life came strolling along, and I swear that bastard had an aura like the dark side of the force.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Never too old to get the fever!!  I remember one time running into a big Bull at 15yds (archery season).  Not a clue I was there. I just stood in awe... until he was gone. Then stalked him, but never did get a shot. LOL!!

First year hunting for Joshua, my oldest.  Pretty good at 3Gun at the time (12). Missed the same deer at 80yds 3 times while it just stood there. Oh was he shaking!!  Finally got him calmed down and the 4th time did it. I then missed a buck with my BP rifle (the whole bunch stood there). Grabbed his and used the last round to get mine. Next year, 200yd shot and down. They make for great memories. :D

Should  have fun this year as it is the girlfriend's first time out hunting.  Will see how this goes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are some  good towns around Billings. Just  have to do some back road driving with a land status GPS. Lots over by pompeys pillar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went coyote hunting, didn't call any in. Found a prairie dog town, shot one, saw blood through the scope and saw him flop. Went to take a look and he had run back down his hole, leaving a bud trail. 55gr HPs

There are some  good towns around Billings. Just  have to do some back road driving with a land status GPS. Lots over by pompeys pillar.

North  of the river?
I've never  found any "shootable"  places around here.
Gonna  go to Melstone  next spring  &  head south.

The Ol' Crew Chief

good luck, everyone that  hunts!!!
(I'm too old & crippled-up)
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No joy the first 3 days that I spent in Unit 329. Nice area, but thick with dog hair lodgepole, wolf tracks and guys that hunt from their rigs plus a couple special idiots.  Only heard one shot and some kid shot a respectable mule deer buck. I drew a mule deer tag for that area but the better units are further to the south but they have a single digit draw rate. But things were pretty dead so I headed home yesterday

The weather was going downhill, and being over 7,000 ft.+ elevation so the chances for more snow was possible since there was snow when I got there. I drove out via the Bighole which is always a nice area. Saw some nice areas to hike into next year for high lake fishing.

I still can hunt deer and elk in my local area so there's plenty of time over the next 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Planned on going out on Saturday to sit and see if the multitude of hunters could bird dog something my direaction.  However, I woke up feeling like crap so I skipped out. This morning I woke up to the sound of rain. So, I decided to take the gun for a walk. Beautiful morning but zero critters in the area.

I'm afraid this season may be pretty lame for our household. We had to miss our annual family reunion/pheasant opener in SD.  The Mrs. starts chemo next Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Was sighting in a new rifle (TOTHEMAX helped me put together) this morning at 17 mile and this little guy jumped out about 10 yards left of my target.

That's hunting, right?

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd say the sighting in went well.
Unless it took four shots to get peter cottontail....
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd say the sighting in went well.
Unless it took four shots to get peter cottontail....
View Quote

One shot, one kill.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I decided to blow work off and go look at some new ground today. We had a little bit of rain overnight and during the early hours so sneaking through the deep dark was nice and quiet this morning. Didn't bump into any big game but managed to find a nice little set of 3x4 mule deer sheds and a friendly little snowshoe hare.  

After that I decided to go look around some block management land and ran into a family that had packed out a cow for a few miles. Their son had harvested her the evening before. They were stoked to be back to the main road and grabbed a ride back to their truck.  After that I took another spin around some really nice ground. The only thing moving was three muely does.

No opportunities but it was another great day to be out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I am the first.

One down and I still have a whitetail doe tag and an elk tag. Got up at at 4am and we were on the road by 5 and arrived at the hunting spot at 7 We were in the field at 7:30 legal shooting light. I shot this guy at approximately noon,it took three of us till 5pm to get him back to the truck. Just got home and uploaded the pic and it's time to hit a hot tub with a cold beer to sooth my back and the rest of my body....Rifle is a 18" 6.5 Grendel and I used the 123gr SST's, Shot placement on the first shot was about 130yrds and a little off as he was not going to stand still for me,but it slowed him down enough that I was able to put a second shot in his neck that dropped him in his tracks.

6pt's on one side and seven on the other.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Strong work m1awolf!
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice job! I guess it is time to start wandering up the mountain to see what is up there. Not nearly as many people up here as past years. Might be safe enough by now from all the tresspassers :D
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice one Rob good thing you had help. I gotta get out soon the rut should be peaking soon
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Meat for the freezer,  still trying to find the elk....
BTW, anyone wandering around unit 442 beware there's a angry Grizzly near Tunnel Lake that charged a hunter last week.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Way to go JS!!  Now everybody else is getting meat!  :D
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#22]
No joy for me, I spent all Sunday hunting and did not see anything but one white jackrabbit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Saturdays outing  (The weim is still learning upland birds.  The yeomans work on birds was done by my friends English Pointer)

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Saturday above the house here I got mine and the girlfriend got her deer(first deer for her). For those wondering, yes the dog comes hunting. Not a lot anymore, but since she was a puppy she has. Probably her last time too. Still have my Elk tag to fill, and maybe get some on those extra tags for deer.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Bonus points for using a scoped Mauser. You're not the only one who uses milsurps to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#26]
For an old 1938 Mauser, it does right at 1" groups at 100 with my loads. Bought it 20 years ago as a project for the receiver.  Put a cheap 6x Bushnell scope, one piece mount on it, and a Timney; just never went further. Found this year I cannot use irons worth a dang anymore, so out it came. Can't see it, but the stock is built up using foam and adhesive ankle wrap  Perhaps some day I will actually finish that project.

Currently building my new hunting rifle, a 6.5 Grendel.  Girlfriend wants me to find her a Rem 700 BDL in .30-06 for next year.  She has gone bug nuts for hunting now!

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Saturday above the house here I got mine and the girlfriend got her deer(first deer for her). For those wondering, yes the dog comes hunting. Not a lot anymore, but since she was a puppy she has. Probably her last time too. Still have my Elk tag to fill, and maybe get some on those extra tags for deer.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/mcronenwett/20161112_165052_zps2ervh2yh.jpg

View Quote

Nice work,congrats to the girlfriend as well. Elk tags you say,need any company
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah188/mcronenwett/20161112_165052_zps2ervh2yh.jpg

Sadly, they are not here on the mountain yet.  Too warm and no snow.  Did see some several weeks old track up top, maybe two Cows. My neighbors who usually are tagged out by now have only downed a single Spike.  I did catch wind of a special hunt to take place out by Bowmans Corner; thick with Elk. About all I know currently.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Yesterday - Model 70 Winchester Supergrade (mid 1990's mfg), .270 win.  Leupy vx2 3-9, Nosler 150 gr partition.  50 yds, drt.  3 mile pack out (Thank God for son-in-laws with a strong work ethic!)

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]
got one small whitetail doe today that's it for this season 300 yards 30-06 150 gr win PP
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Filled my tag opening morning at 8:30 am. Shot a white tail 4 point at 40 yds with my Henry .44 mag with handloads. 225gr Amax iron sights, if anybody cares... Ha.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, can't wait for the deer jerky to arrive in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Trying to make room in the freezer.  Made 30 lbs of salami tonight.  Will work on a few lbs of breakfast sausage tomorrow.   Still have more meat to deal with after that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#34]
The season isn't over yet. Forest grouse and Turkey is still open till Jan 1.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#35]
This was October on the clark fork. Our hunting boat is top notch! No worries about hitting rocks tho.

My ugly Mug, yes thats a bandolier of shells. No fun to run out of shells in the boat I prefer the 3.5" BB it hits hard.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Good haul there Rubicon.  Perhaps I need to try some waterfowl one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Cornsweat. I also shot this little guy opening morning with my .44mag Henry.

Sister came over and helped process Him out. How many sisters would do that!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#38]
How much meat did you have to give up to get that "help"?  LOL  That is great!!

We did not manage to connect any deer for the other 2 tags we bought.  Weird weather sure did not help.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How much meat did you have to give up to get that "help"?  LOL  That is great!!

We did not manage to connect any deer for the other 2 tags we bought.  Weird weather sure did not help.
View Quote

I gave her about 10lbs worth. But I always help her and her husband with their home improvements. So, she was happy to help. The weather has not been helpful at all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Well maybe this should be the start of a 2017 Hunting thread.  

Due to life completely grabbing me by the balls this year, my hunting has been fairly limited. That's right, fuck you cancer!

I have been enjoying some late season waterfowl hunting. I'm horrible about shooting photos. I did manage to grab one of my friend (probably wants to remain anonymous and his son. It was super fun to go with a 12 yo kid that is just getting into the sport!

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#41]
This is all I could have asked for on my last hunt of the season.

Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Second to last weekend of waterfowl. Extremely cold -8F most of the day while hiking the river at a friends house.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top