Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 12:00:06 AM EDT
So I have been contemplating building a SBR and also getting a suppressor. So my question is would I be better off with a trust or pay the two tax stamps? I'm new to the NFA world. any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You still have to pay the two tax stamps regardless.  The idea of the trust was that you don't have to get CLEO approval.  Louisiana law was recently changed (within past three years, I think) so that you no longer need approval from the state, only that you have to notify them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You still have to pay the two tax stamps regardless.  The idea of the trust was that you don't have to get CLEO approval.  Louisiana law was recently changed (within past three years, I think) so that you no longer need approval from the state, only that you have to notify them.
View Quote

Well that answers that thank you
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, federal law changed last year, so you no longer need CLEO approval in any state. You just have to notify them. (They get one page when you fill out your Form 1 or 4).

Using a trust (or not) is just a matter of whether you'll ever want any others to be able to possess the NFA item(s) without you being present. If the answer is yes, then take the extra step and form a trust. You can then designate anyone you want, and also add/remove people at any time. You must name at least one beneficiary when you create it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top