Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2016 5:41:20 PM EDT
Still undecided on who I am voting for for these two races. Two many damn choices.
Tell me who you are voting for and why. Or tell me who you are not voting for and why.
Don't bother if you are voting Democrat. Don't want to hear your opinions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Still undecided on who I am voting for for these two races. Two many damn choices.
Tell me who you are voting for and why. Or tell me who you are not voting for and why.
Don't bother if you are voting Democrat. Don't want to hear your opinions.
View Quote

I like your style.

My favorite is Dr C. Boustany for senate.   He's done quite a bit on the various trade agreements to make
sure ag and especially rice, doesn't get sold out for other industries.
He's also a real live constitutional conservative and we'll need as much of that as  possible to balance
Hillary, God forbid she wins, and to some extent Trump, if he wins, God willing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of Kennedy, but I don't know a whole lot about any of them. I need to download a ballot and do some research. Any important amendments we need to look out for this time?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking of Kennedy, but I don't know a whole lot about any of them. I need to download a ballot and do some research. Any important amendments we need to look out for this time?
View Quote

For the amendments, I was emailed this today.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4a55b70781fc3c9a5875657f6/files/ConservativesVotersGuide2016.01.pdf

If the link does work, I can put up screen shots.

For Distract 1

I was going to  vote Mike Johnson for congress.  
And John Flemming for Senate

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks. Got that printed out now.

SOS's sample ballot shows I only get to vote for D's in my congressional district

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you get banned for disagreeing with a mod?

I think you're wrong about Boustany, he's been one of the good guys in the House and
has been a strong advocate for La.

While I think Kennedy, Fleming, or even Manes would make a great Senator, they will all have a big learning
curve to go thru, Boustany has been there, and while that may be a negative to some voters this year, I believe
its critical to have solid, experienced, conservative politicians in the Legislative branch to help or counteract the
new president, depending on who wins.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Facts > Opinion.
View Quote

I clicked the link and what I got was an opinion on his voting record.
Your website is just another opinion.

My opinion>their opinion

ETA  I did notice Boustany has a 100% on 2A votes from the link, so maybe they're not all wrong
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#10]
He seems to have not shown up for many, many more
View Quote

Wrong again, from your website, "Missed votes    -   1"

But seriously, the subject I feel most qualifies on is ag and the way Boustany is scored on ag is just
not right.  Your supposed conservative website seems to want the Farm Bill to be a social program.
The Farm Bill is a lot more than subsidies to wealthy farmers, and why should being successful put a
business at an economic disadvantage?

I didn't look into how they scored Boustany on other issues(its late I'm going to bed) but my faith in that website is pretty low.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kennedy is a former Dem.  I don't trust him to not fuck us.

ETA: I think I'm voting Fleming FWIW, but if it goes to runoff, I will vote the best option at that time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/4a55b70781fc3c9a5875657f6/files/ConservativesVotersGuide2016.01.pdf

For Distract 1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Distract 1

Alternatively, when I was researching this several days ago, I ran across this article:  https://thehayride.com/2016/10/here-are-the-constitutional-amendments-louisiana-voters-have-to-decide-on-in-november-and-our-suggestions-on-them/

I mostly agree with their conclusions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Alternatively, when I was researching this several days ago, I ran across this article:  https://thehayride.com/2016/10/here-are-the-constitutional-amendments-louisiana-voters-have-to-decide-on-in-november-and-our-suggestions-on-them/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Distract 1

Thanks for the link, I like thehayride.com

Now I do not know what on the amendments..

Damn
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Distract 1

I agree with their conclusions.

2 and 6 will get a yes vote from me.

A further thought on 4, from a police officer:  Yeah, sure, it would be nice for the missus to have that if I die in the line of duty, like it would be for the spouse of a firefighter or a service---person, I guess I'm supposed to say.  But like the Hayride says, individual jurisdictions can make decisions to help out specific cases, particularly hard luck cases.  Carving out an exemption for a small class of people is never a good idea, and not just in and of itself.  

Let's say 4 passes.  Great, OK, it ain't gonna break the bank, so what.  No biggie, right?  Well, a few years down the road some Marine, firefighter, or LEO gets crippled in the line of duty, but without enough time in service for disability retirement, and it ends up being a high profile event.  What then?  Maybe we have another amendment to include those folks who are in *that* predicament.  Or, say, what if linemen point out the dangers of their job, and they want in as well, and a legislator gets yet another amendment on the ballot?  What about poultry workers, who have one of the most dangerous jobs in the country as far as work related illness and death?  Another amendment.  What about teachers, maybe not quite so dangerous, but generally low pay, and they educate our children!

That sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud---maybe this is hyperbole, and would never happen, but remember, prior to the austerity budget in '11 or '12, retirement age in Greece was 65 for regular retirement, and 50 for early retirement for certain "dangerous or stressful occupations."  (It's now 67/58.)  The "dangerous or stressful occupations" began with police, firefighters, and prison workers when early retirement ages were first started.  By the time of the '11 or '12 budget, the number of occupations so designated had swelled immensely as people lobbied to get their occupation added to the list---hairdressers, bakers, masseurs, trombonists, sax players, pianists, and a ton of others just as ridiculous were all eligible for early retirement.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Since I'm guessing this is now our defacto election thread, anyone with any ideas for the 2nd district?

My choices are as follows:

Kenneth Cutno

Melvin Holden

Cedric Richmond

A cursory glance at the set looks like welfare supports and anti-2a across the board :/

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since I'm guessing this is now our defacto election thread, anyone with any ideas for the 2nd district?

My choices are as follows:

Kenneth Cutno

Melvin Holden

Cedric Richmond

A cursory glance at the set looks like welfare supports and anti-2a across the board :/

View Quote

No suggestions (I'm weirdly gerrymandered into the 1st, despite being in New Orleans, and appearing to be in the footprint of the map of the 2nd,) beyond my usual dislike of re-electing incumbents.  (Even though Mr. Richmond is a nice enough guy in person, our political differences aside, I still would not vote to re-elect him simply because of the old adage about politicians, diapers, and the need for frequent changing of same.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A further thought on 4, from a police officer:  Yeah, sure, it would be nice for the missus to have that if I die in the line of duty, like it would be for the spouse of a firefighter or a service---person, I guess I'm supposed to say.  But like the Hayride says, individual jurisdictions can make decisions to help out specific cases, particularly hard luck cases.  Carving out an exemption for a small class of people is never a good idea, and not just in and of itself.  

Let's say 4 passes.  Great, OK, it ain't gonna break the bank, so what.  No biggie, right?  Well, a few years down the road some Marine, firefighter, or LEO gets crippled in the line of duty, but without enough time in service for disability retirement, and it ends up being a high profile event.  What then?  Maybe we have another amendment to include those folks who are in *that* predicament.  Or, say, what if linemen point out the dangers of their job, and they want in as well, and a legislator gets yet another amendment on the ballot?  What about poultry workers, who have one of the most dangerous jobs in the country as far as work related illness and death?  Another amendment.  What about teachers, maybe not quite so dangerous, but generally low pay, and they educate our children!

That sort of thing needs to be nipped in the bud---maybe this is hyperbole, and would never happen, but remember, prior to the austerity budget in '11 or '12, retirement age in Greece was 65 for regular retirement, and 50 for early retirement for certain "dangerous or stressful occupations."  (It's now 67/58.)  The "dangerous or stressful occupations" began with police, firefighters, and prison workers when early retirement ages were first started.  By the time of the '11 or '12 budget, the number of occupations so designated had swelled immensely as people lobbied to get their occupation added to the list---hairdressers, bakers, masseurs, trombonists, sax players, pianists, and a ton of others just as ridiculous were all eligible for early retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Distract 1

My I ask why
YES on 2

I was thinking that would be a no for me.

As it would the governor the power to put people on the board for every college in the state.
Kind of sounds like a kick back job to.
And giving to much power to the governor.

And like you said that might come back to bite us later down the road.

But please tell me what you think?
Because I am not sure which way to go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My I ask why
YES on 2

As it would the governor the power to put people on the board for every college in the state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Distract 1

My I ask why
YES on 2

Well, like I said, I basically agree with the Hayride, and find it ludicrous that tuition and fees are set by the legislature.  They should be set by the folks who oversee the schools.  As it stands, the legislature (which, like it or not, is an LSU fan club,) does this, and having it removed so much from people much more direct and better knowledge is not a good idea in my book.

YMMV, of course, and I'm pretty sure that what's going to happen is 2 and 6 are gonna get shot down, and the ones I don't like will be passed.

My prediction of the general thought process:

1:  "Yeah!  We need to change this, 'cause there may be voter fraud or something otherwise!"

2:  "No way!  The way it's always been is fine!"

3:  "Heck yeah!  Them rich businesses don't need no tax breaks!"

4:  "Yeah, we gotta look out for our servicemen, firefighters and cops!"

5:  "Yeah, an extra pot of sacred money sounds great!"

6:  "Aw heck no!  No way do any sacred pots of money in my state get tapped for other reasons!  We voted those things in for some very good reasons I can't remember!"
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Agree on amendment 4. Don't get me wrong, I won't be upset if it passed, but the way that the ease to which our state constitution is continuously amended to add specific exemptions and special privledges just bloats it. The state legislature tends to kick things out to the public as an amendment when they feel it has a better chance to pass there.  

Legislators that are opposed don't want to go on record as being "anti veteran/police/special interest" so they'll vote to allow it on the ballot as a means to wash their hands of it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ETA: I think I'm voting Fleming FWIW, but if it goes to runoff, I will vote the best option at that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why Kennedy is running as "conservative"?  I see the ads, and it seemed weird he wasn't coming out and saying Republican or Democrat.  3rd party?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
He shows up as "Republican" on the LA Secretary of State's sample ballot.  But yes, I'm sure he's doing his best to shy away from that.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He shows up as "Republican" on the LA Secretary of State's sample ballot.  But yes, I'm sure he's doing his best to shy away from that.

http://i.imgur.com/5D8C8Ph.png
View Quote

Good God, that's a lot of choices!  

Maybe I'll just vote for a guy named "Crawdaddy".  Senator Crawdaddy sounds very regal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I did my part.  

holdontoyourbutts.jpg
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I did my part.  

holdontoyourbutts.jpg
View Quote
Same here. Anxious to see the results tonight.

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Trump pulled it off.

I'm concerned that our senatorial race looks to have a runoff between Kennedy and Campbell. Gross
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Good deal on the Trump victory.

As for the senate, I did switch my vote to flemming, but I guess that didn't work out.

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Trump pulled it off.

I'm concerned that our senatorial race looks to have a runoff between Kennedy and Campbell. Gross
View Quote

I'm not too happy about the Angelle/Higgins runoff either.  Angelle's been a Republican for what, six years?  He is prime to become yet another RINO, and I am tired of RINOs.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Does La always do this where their seats arent filled without runoffs/?
?
how are the us senate and house races going to end up
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
The winner has to get 50% of the votes to win outright.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And this practically never happens
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The winner has to get 50% of the votes to win outright.

And this practically never happens

Sometimes it does though.  Back an election or two ago, the sheriff's race in Jeff Davis parish had a ton of guys running.  Everybody figured there would be a run off.  Nope, Sheriff Ivy Woods won it outright.  I thought that was pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
It depends. Garret Graves easily won reelection for my district with six people on the ballot, but he is generally well liked around here.

However, a senate race with 24 names and about 4 or 5 legit contenders will always result in a runoff here.

The reason for the runoff is because we can have so many names on the initial ballots here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It depends. Garret Graves easily won reelection for my district with six people on the ballot, but he is generally well liked around here.

However, a senate race with 24 names and about 4 or 5 legit contenders will always result in a runoff here.

The reason for the runoff is because we can have so many names on the initial ballots here.
View Quote

Plus it takes too damn long to search through that list to find my candidate since the order of the candidates seems to have no rhyme or reason to it.  Well, except for the presidential election...  For some reason, the Democrat always seems to get listed first...
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Am seeing where Clay Higgins is getting sued by one of his ex-wives for $100K in child support.
Any info on this guy?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Getting back to the senate run off,  Kennedy makes me take Pepto and Campbell is holding a shotgun in the TV ad, but that does not make me comfortable, Biden told us to get a shotgun, he was gong after the ARs...

I think Kennedy is a joke, flipper, once a democrap rat, his cliches are comical....trust him as much as I do Hildabeast

So who do we vote for?  Who do you trust?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Getting back to the senate run off,  Kennedy makes me take Pepto and Campbell is holding a shotgun in the TV ad, but that does not make me comfortable, Biden told us to get a shotgun, he was gong after the ARs...

I think Kennedy is a joke, flipper, once a democrap rat, his cliches are comical....trust him as much as I do Hildabeast

View Quote

Both Angelle and Kennedy are party flippers.  We managed to put RINOS in the damn runoff.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Sure did.

I'm still voting Kennedy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If this is the criteria you look for, you've got a lot of learning to do.

None of them can be trusted. Not one single politician. Every single one of them will fuck you over if they see a profit in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this is the criteria you look for, you've got a lot of learning to do.

None of them can be trusted. Not one single politician. Every single one of them will fuck you over if they see a profit in it.

Zack,  Please do not patronize me, you don't know who I am, what I have learned over the many, many years....by definition you walk into that booth you pull a lever, by doing that you are trusting one over the other.  Simple as that....or dont vote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top