Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 6:31:51 AM EDT
I am moving when my daughter gets out of HS. June 2019. Less than 2 years.

I want to live in a conservative part of the state and a conservative town

on more than 10 acres for tax and shooting and big ham radio tower reasons .

I want to shoot on my own land.

I want neighbors that shoot. No mass holes or NYers

I want to be left alone

I would like an unincorporated town with no police force, just county sheriff.

low property taxes is a must

I don't care about schools

Away from summer and winter tourist areas

I don't want millionaire neighbors or meth head neighbors

I hunt and fish

If I can't shoot on my land ( not big enough ) than at least a good ole boy shooting club nearby that I can join that does not have a lawyer on retainer because of hassle they get from shitheads

Neighbors that prep is a plus.

I will have to drive to boston 3 times a month to go to work ( for 5 years ) so less than 3 hr drive if possible.

I will not under any circumstances live in an HOA.

I was going to move to rural maine next to my brother, but maine income taxes would kill my retirement fund.

I know this is a tall order and will not get all this, but which area should I be looking.

Help a brother out.

@surf
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Your criteria constitute a tall order.  As far as I know, there are very few towns without police, and those are very far north.  Dummer may be one of the few towns without police, but that is in the middle of nowhere.  Also, if you want to do a lot of shooting on your own property you're best off north of the lakes region, although you may also make it work in the southwest part of the state.  The problem isn't finding the land, the problem will be noise complaints from neighbors.  Luckily, there are some great gun clubs all over the state, but especially in southern New Hampshire.  I'm thinking of Pelham F&G, Nashua F&G, Londonderry F&G, and many others.  I live in Manchester and I belong to several clubs - convenient shooting is not a problem.

Politically New Hampshire has gone 'purple' over the past 15 years or so.  Do a search for "Red Blue Map New Hampshire 2016" to get a sense of where the more conservative towns are.  If you're more interested in solitude and elbow room, go north.  If you want to stay under the 3 hour mark for your Boston commute, then stay south of Laconia.  I haven't done a lot of exploring in the southwest part of the state (Fitzwilliam, Winchester, Troy, Swanzey) but I get the feeling that this might be the state's best kept secret for quiet living not too far from Boston.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Stoddard, NH fits most of your criteria. One part-time officer, lowest taxes in the Monadnock region, 2-hour drive to Boston.  I owned a home there for 13 years and only sold it because Of my work.  Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Randolph, Dummer, Milan, Errol.........my neck of the woods and I fucking love it up here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I want to be left alone

I hunt and fish

If I can't shoot on my land ( not big enough ) than at least a good ole boy shooting club nearby that I can join that does not have a lawyer on retainer because of hassle they get from shitheads

I will have to drive to boston 3 times a month to go to work ( for 5 years ) so less than 3 hr drive if possible.

I was going to move to rural maine next to my brother, but maine income taxes would kill my retirement fund.

I know this is a tall order and will not get all this, but which area should I be looking.

Help a brother out.

@surf
View Quote

MACH is "one of our people" and I have been trying to get him out of Massland for quite sometime now.  

I got two location suggestions right of the top of my head.  If any of you guys have any suggestions please add them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MACH is "one of our people" and I have been trying to get him out of Massland for quite sometime now.  

I got two location suggestions right of the top of my head.  If any of you guys have any suggestions please add them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to be left alone

I hunt and fish

Help a brother out.

@surf

So what are those 2 location suggestions?

I have spent a fair amount of time up in the north part of the state. Just got back from fishing the upper magaloway just 2 weeks ago. It is a long drive to boston especially in the snow, but it looks like I should concentrate looking up there around Errol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
To everybody, I appreciate the ideas. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Benton meets almost every single one of your criteria.  It is in Grafton County between a Easton and Haverhill.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Groveton? Gorham?

Charlestown/Alstead/Walpole/Acworth?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Groveton? Gorham?

Charlestown/Alstead/Walpole/Acworth?
View Quote
As I mentioned earlier, Stoddard has the lowest tax rate of all the mentioned towns. Only places lower that I am aware of are Rye and Newington.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As I mentioned earlier, Stoddard has the lowest tax rate of all the mentioned towns. Only places lower that I am aware of are Rye and Newington.
View Quote
I don't think Gorham fit's what the op wants, it is an awesome small town in the Mountains but maybe a touch to close to it all.  Milan on the other hand would be perfect.  North of Berlin/Gorham, inexpensive land.  Ton's of great fishing, hiking, places to shoot are everywhere.  You can go down all the logging roads(public is welcome).  ATV and Snowmobile trails are everywhere and you can ride your ATV on the road....really is an outdoorsmen's paradise up here.  But   If you must get to a town Berlin, is there for essentials.  The only LE that you really would run into would be fish and game running between Berlin and Errol...property tax rate i would venture would be a tick higher then southern NH, but assessed value will be lower so i would gander it is a wash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Benton meets almost every single one of your criteria.  It is in Grafton County between a Easton and Haverhill.
View Quote
I was actually going to post Benton, or Easton.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
you guys are great

I am looking hard given the recommendations

I can't wait to leave this shit hole
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was actually going to post Benton, or Easton.
View Quote
I grew up in Easton.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I grew up in Easton.
View Quote
Nice.  If we decide to move from where we are at now, we will be looking pretty heavily at Easton.  It's just far enough away from people for us not to be bothered.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a ride up to the Southwest corner of the state and poke around.  Stoddard sounds like a great suggestion.

I live near Peterborough for the past 16 years and love it.  I shoot at a free range in town all the time, only 100 yards but the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I'm about 100 yards from the Benton border and pay almost twice the tax, however...they have a few special needs kids now and that's going to raise their taxes considerably due to their higher education costs.  In the little towns it's the school expense that dominates the budget.

The Easton / south Landaff / Benton area is great - off the beaten path, lots of national forest land, everyone shoots, there's a good gun club just down the road, etc.

Feel free to visit us if you're inclined.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
salisbury doesn't have a police force and could meet your requirements i think.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
salisbury doesn't have a police force and could meet your requirements i think.
View Quote
And, the Barn Store is an excellent feed store/hardware store/gun shop (including reloading components!)/breakfast/lunch counter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top