Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 10:14:59 AM EDT
Y'all,

By my reading of this Massachusetts State Legislature webpage and this information from GOAL, a non-resident who is not there to attend an organized event and who is not there to go hunting cannot have any firearms in their possession, even if the firearms are locked up.  Is that correct?

Section 131G: Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.
View Quote
If my reading is incorrect, are there any resources (i.e. official government or firearms-rights organization) stating that non-residents can have firearms in their possession if the firearms are locked up?

Thanks,
Scrappy
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That is correct.  You cannot legally possess a firearm or ammo - to include ammo components.  It's a felony for you to possess a post 9/94 hi-cap magazine in MA.

MA is profoundly hostile to legal firearms.  Watch out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang, that's serious stuff.  Thanks for confirming and expanding on it for me, bendersgame.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You would be covered under federal law if you are driving through Mass or fly into Mass then promptly leave to a free state.
Federal transport laws apply
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would be covered under federal law if you are driving through Mass or fly into Mass then promptly leave to a free state.
Federal transport laws apply
View Quote
Yes, thank you for reinforcing that.   In my case, though, I will be visiting (and staying at) a couple of locations or more in Massachusetts, so unfortunately I will not be covered by Federal law with regards to transporting items.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Flying through may be covered, but local law enforcement could make your life hell while you go through the legal system.  There is no precedent either way so I would be careful with doing that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Flying through may be covered, but local law enforcement could make your life hell while you go through the legal system.  There is no precedent either way so I would be careful with doing that.
View Quote
I see I didn't give a complete picture in my last post.  I've edited it to explain that my destinations are in Massachusetts and that I'm not just transiting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a brother in MA and if I should do the drive from Texas I have considered bypassing MA and then stopping in VT or NH and dropping my firearm off at a gun dealer for "cleaning", but would have to arrange beforehand.  Flying no gun like I do to other states.  Kinda sux!  Would love to see national reciprocity, but no idea how MA would treat this if it ever happened.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Mass does allow CCW and depending on what town you live in it can be pretty easy to impossible

If a national CCW became law they would have to allow it or do away with CCW in the state
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
National reciprocity will not change MA laws, they would just be required to honor CCW licenses from all states, not a national license.  Impact would be for states that have Constitutional Carry, like Vermont, there is no license.  If Texas ever passes Constitutional Carry, they would still have a licensing system for those needing one to travel to reciprocal states.  34 states now honor the Texas CCW.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the response I received from the state when I emailed regarding bring a pump action shotgun to cape cod.

Exemptions in MA law allow for the possession of shotguns in the Commonwealth without obtaining a Massachusetts firearms license.  However, if you wish to bring your handguns, you would need to get a non-resident license to carry, which is issued through this office.

Regards,
Michaela
FRB

I am planning a visit to cape cod this summer and want to make sure I would not be breaking any laws if I where to bring an unloaded pump action shotgun and ammunition in your state. Both the shotgun and ammunition would be in separate locked areas.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is the response I received from the state when I emailed regarding bring a pump action shotgun to cape cod.

Exemptions in MA law allow for the possession of shotguns in the Commonwealth without obtaining a Massachusetts firearms license.  However, if you wish to bring your handguns, you would need to get a non-resident license to carry, which is issued through this office.

Regards,
Michaela
FRB

I am planning a visit to cape cod this summer and want to make sure I would not be breaking any laws if I where to bring an unloaded pump action shotgun and ammunition in your state. Both the shotgun and ammunition would be in separate locked areas.
View Quote
Michaela needs to be a bit more careful with her words.

Any non-PP legal in their home state can bring in ONLY non-large capacity long guns (rifle/shotgun) with ammo for same WITHOUT a MA NR LTC. Large capacity for shotguns is if it holds >5 rds in the tube/mag per MGL (EOPS ignores tube-fed shotguns, but the wording of the law doesn't exempt them).
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any non-PP legal in their home state can bring in ONLY non-large capacity long guns (rifle/shotgun) with ammo for same WITHOUT a MA NR LTC. Large capacity for shotguns is if it holds >5 rds in the tube/mag per MGL (EOPS ignores tube-fed shotguns, but the wording of the law doesn't exempt them).
View Quote
Good to know the capacity restriction. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Non-PP  ?

I honestly can't figure out what that stands for ... 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Non-PP  ?

I honestly can't figure out what that stands for ... 
View Quote
PP = Prohibited Person (by law, e.g. felons, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
PP = Prohibited Person (by law, e.g. felons, etc.)
View Quote
Ahh ok I see now ..
Thank you man. 
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd keep your guns home, and in the future seek legal advice from a lawyer.... and never rely on a state employee to understand/or know the laws.

..... and yes, standard capacity mags will get you arrested..... and FOPA does not cover the transpiration of mags.

If you plan on visiting often, you might want to get a non-resident LTC.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd keep your guns home, and in the future seek legal advice from a lawyer.... and never rely on a state employee to understand/or know the laws.

..... and yes, standard capacity mags will get you arrested..... and FOPA does not cover the transpiration of mags.

If you plan on visiting often, you might want to get a non-resident LTC.
View Quote
I did keep my guns at home.

I probably won't be up there too often, but thanks for the suggestion to get a non-resident LTC.  How hard are they to get?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did keep my guns at home.

I probably won't be up there too often, but thanks for the suggestion to get a non-resident LTC.  How hard are they to get?
View Quote
$100 per YEAR, takes 3-5 months to renew annually. Requires a Mass State Police certified instructor to give you a course for first application and requires a trip to Chelsea once every 6 years.

If you aren't nearby it is a royal PITA and not worth all the trips/expense.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
^this
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$100 per YEAR, takes 3-5 months to renew annually. Requires a Mass State Police certified instructor to give you a course for first application and requires a trip to Chelsea once every 6 years.

View Quote
Yeah, definitely not worth it! Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll add that in my case, it took just about 3 months.

Had a date for interview within a few weeks of submitting my application, received my LTC two months later.... about 3 months from the date I sent in my application.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]
double tap
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I live just over the border in southern NH and even for me it wasn't worth it.  The deal killer is that my understanding is that the average person gets a restriction that it is only good for possession, not carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I live just over the border in southern NH and even for me it wasn't worth it.  The deal killer is that my understanding is that the average person gets a restriction that it is only good for possession, not carry.
View Quote
Lovely.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you can't articulate a reason specific to you to justify unrestricted, this seems to indeed be true.

The other way people get unrestricted is if they were previously a MA subject and held an unrestricted LTC for many years without incident. That info was direct from the FRB Director.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
That wasn't the case for me, I applied for an LTC.... included a cover letter explaining my firearm experience as well as the reasons I felt I needed to carry a firearm.  Got my LTC in the mail a couple of weeks ago.  There is a thread in the CTHT forum about this, including a brief explanation of what I included in my letter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you can't articulate a reason specific to you to justify unrestricted, this seems to indeed be true.
View Quote
I think this is an accurate statement, also feel the entire process simply intimidates most people..... which I'm sure was the logic behind these crazy requirements.

Glad I did my homework and was able to get an LTC.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would you please clarify what you mean by "a trip to Chelsea once every 6 years"?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Would you please clarify what you mean by "a trip to Chelsea once every 6 years"?
View Quote
You send in your application and check. Some time later (1-2 months) you get an invitation to lovely Downtown Chelsea to meet with an employee of the Firearms Record Bureau to explain why you need such LTC and why it should be unrestricted. 2-4 months later you will receive your MA NR LTC in the Mail, only good for 1 year from date of issue. You only have to do this once every 6 years however, the other 5 renewals can be done by US Mail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You send in your application and check. Some time later (1-2 months) you get an invitation to lovely Downtown Chelsea to meet with an employee of the Firearms Record Bureau to explain why you need such LTC and why it should be unrestricted. 2-4 months later you will receive your MA NR LTC in the Mail, only good for 1 year from date of issue. You only have to do this once every 6 years however, the other 5 renewals can be done by US Mail.
View Quote
I called the FRB in 2014 when I was leaving MA and was told you have to do the interview every time you renew.

Did something change?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I called the FRB in 2014 when I was leaving MA and was told you have to do the interview every time you renew.

Did something change?
View Quote
Yes, they changed that policy ~1 year ago.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, they changed that policy ~1 year ago.
View Quote
Well that is good to know but hopefully the senate will pass the national reciprocity bill and it will not be needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top