Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2016 8:45:15 AM EDT
It's that time of year again when bills concerning our Second Amendment rights are written and introduced at the state house.

This year I'm going to try and separate the good bills from the bad bills and there will probably be some neutral bills also.

I'll update this post when new bills are introduced as well as when they are being heard (given we have enough notice) and their status as they move through the state house.

I'll add updates in this thread of any progress, happenings and/or anything else that is related to our battle. If anyone else has any information, rumors, synopsis of talking with their politician(s) or anything else that is related please add it here.

RI General Assembly home page
House Judiciary Committee members w/ email addresses
Senate Judiciary Committee members w/ email addresses
Place holder for other 2016 relevant committee members w/ email addresses

Updated: March 23rd

Good Bills
H5205
- tax free gun safes

H7093 - held for further study 3/22
- Automatic renewal of CCW permits

H7103
- Gun safes exempt from sales tax (last line in the bill)

h7244 - held for further study 3/22
- forces the state's AG to report on firearms crimes and the judicial outcomes

h7247
- keeping criminals in jail longer (I guess )

h7390 - held for further study 3/22
- pro ccw language
- deserves our full support and we need to write our reps in support of this bill

H7460
- makes changes allowing for crossbows while hunting

H7541 - held for further study 3/22
- recognition of out of state CCW permits

H7680 - held for further study 3/22
- it's sad that we need this one, but fuck yeah!

H7798
- not firearm related, but anti Real ID Act so it deserves our support

S2416
- Senate version of out of state CCW permit recognition

S2421
- destruction of ALL records of false/wrongful arrest

S2647
- initial review is favorable for CCW permit applications

Bad Bills
H7199 - held for further study 3/22
- outright ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds
- NO grandfather clause

H7243 - held for further study 3/22
- bans firearms or other weapons on school grounds

H7283 - held for further study 3/22
- loss of firearms for misdemeanor offenses under 12-29-2

H7419 - held for further study Feb 23rd
- loss of firearms for disorderly conduct convictions under the broad 12-29 definitions

H5647 - withdrawn
- the infamous MacBeth knife bill

H7535 - held for further study 3/22
- changes language for minors and firearms

H7575 - held for further study 3/22
- loss of 2A rights if any protective order is filed against you

H7683 - held for further study March 16th
- added fees to marriage licenses for anti-gun organizations

H7799 - held for further study 3/22
- Dealing with identification marks and thereby outlawing some C&R firearms

H7850 - held for further study 3/22
- no long guns in vehicles & changes minor possession

H7853 - held for further study 3/22
- adds a new section for straw purchases which are already illegal

S2490
- wrong on so many levels

S2491
- firearm possession vs. restraining orders

S2492
- this bill initially looks good, but there is a whole lot of wtf in it

S2517
- loss of firearms for misdemeanor offenses under 12-29-2

S2519
- Dealing with identification marks and thereby outlawing some C&R firearms

S2564
- adds a new section for straw purchases which are already illegal

S2565
- language restricting keeping long guns in vehicles

S2645
- Changes the language for firearm possession by minors

S2730
- changes definitions under which a person can lose their right to own firearms

S2761
- no more ccw on school grounds

S2767
- loss of 2A rights if any protective order is filed against you

Neutral or Not Sure Bills
H7443
- adds juvenile program workers under peace officer definitions

H7332 - held for further study 3/22
- very minor language change on private sale's records

H7609
- adds inspectors of the public utilities commission and division of motor carriers to the definitions of peace officers

S2419
- adds juvenile program workers under peace officer definitions

S2563
- includes language that CCW applicants shall send fingerprints to FBI
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
H7199 hi cap ban.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Automatic CCW renewal would be great! I hate having to go through the entire application process every 4 years. I doubt it'll be written in but am going to stay hopeful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
H7199 hi cap ban.
View Quote

OP updated. Thank you for posting it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
What mags?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What mags?
View Quote

Could you clarify?

Got it
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard capacity mag ban, with no grandfather clause?    So they are going to make something illegal to possess that was purchased legally?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Standard capacity mag ban, with no grandfather clause?    So they are going to make something illegal to possess that was purchased legally?
View Quote

If it saves one child

I forget the company's name, but there is a company on Jefferson Blvd that makes magazines or magazine components.

They testified last year basically saying they don't care what last year's mag ban bill did to the masses, but they needed their income. I wish I could remember the company's name because F*ck them!

Anyway, there is no provision in H7199 for this company so they should be testifying again that this bill would be taking jobs and revenue away from the state.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Who would we need to talk too about submitting a bill to legalize suppressors.

With the amount of leftists bitching about sound from gun clubs, and wanting us all on some form of registration...wouldn't supressor use fix that for both?
Quieter gun clubs, and on the federal gov't list as we would own a can.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who would we need to talk to about submitting a bill to legalize suppressors.

With the amount of leftists bitching about sound from gun clubs, and wanting us all on some form of registration...wouldn't supressor use fix that for both?
View Quote

It's already being worked on and we should see the bill(s) within a couple months if it goes as planned.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's already being worked on and we should see the bill(s) within a couple months if it goes as planned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who would we need to talk to about submitting a bill to legalize suppressors.

Finally something good!

It's actually something I think that could go through. Maybe.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
RI 2nd Amendment meeting tonight to review what is happening at the state house tonight at Highland Rod and Gun Club 66 Plainfield Pike, Foster, RI 02825 at 6:30pm.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got word this morning of a "new" bill being heard today.

The bill is H7419 and is being heard this morning at 9:25 in the Legislative Data Systems Room 1.

This bill is bad because it deals with disorderly conduct convictions, but adds definitions under 12-29. The short of it is you can lose your right to own firearms if convicted of:

(1) Engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;

(2) In  a  public  place  or  near  a  private  residence  that  he  or  she  has  no  right  to  occupy, disturbs  another  person  by  making  loud  and  unreasonable  noise  which  under  the  circumstances would disturb a person of a
average sensibilities;

(3)  Directs  at  another  person  in  a  public  place  offensive  words  which  are  likely  to provoke a violent reaction on the part of the average person so addressed;

(4)  Alone  or  with  others,  obstructs  a  highway,  street,  sidewalk,  railway, waterway, building entrance, elevator, aisle, stairway, or hallway to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access or any other place ordinarily used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances;

(5)  Engages  in  conduct  which  obstructs  or  interferes  physically  with  a  lawful  meeting, procession, or gathering;

(6)  Enters  upon  the  property  of  another  and  for  a  lascivious  purpose  looks  into  an occupied dwelling or other building on the property through a window or other opening; or

(7)  Who  without  the  knowledge  or  consent  of  the  individual,  looks  for  a  lascivious of purpose  through  a  window,  or  any  other  opening  into  an  area  in  which  another  would  have  a reasonable expectation of privacy, including, but not limited to, a restroom, locker room, shower, changing  room,  dressing  room,  bedroom,  or  any  other  such  private  area, notwithstanding any property rights the individual may have in the location in which the private area is located

I updated the original post and will report back here as soon as something is learned.

Needless to say I won't be making this hearing
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got word this morning of a "new" bill being heard today.

The bill is H7419 and is being heard this morning at 9:25 in the Legislative Data Systems Room 1.

This bill is bad because it deals with disorderly conduct convictions, but adds definitions under 12-29. The short of it is you can lose your right to own firearms if convicted of:

(1) Engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;

(2) In  a  public  place  or  near  a  private  residence  that  he  or  she  has  no  right  to  occupy, disturbs  another  person  by  making  loud  and  unreasonable  noise  which  under  the  circumstances would disturb a person of a
average sensibilities;

(3)  Directs  at  another  person  in  a  public  place  offensive  words  which  are  likely  to provoke a violent reaction on the part of the average person so addressed;

(4)  Alone  or  with  others,  obstructs  a  highway,  street,  sidewalk,  railway, waterway, building entrance, elevator, aisle, stairway, or hallway to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access or any other place ordinarily used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances;

(5)  Engages  in  conduct  which  obstructs  or  interferes  physically  with  a  lawful  meeting, procession, or gathering;

(6)  Enters  upon  the  property  of  another  and  for  a  lascivious  purpose  looks  into  an occupied dwelling or other building on the property through a window or other opening; or

(7)  Who  without  the  knowledge  or  consent  of  the  individual,  looks  for  a  lascivious of purpose  through  a  window,  or  any  other  opening  into  an  area  in  which  another  would  have  a reasonable expectation of privacy, including, but not limited to, a restroom, locker room, shower, changing  room,  dressing  room,  bedroom,  or  any  other  such  private  area, notwithstanding any property rights the individual may have in the location in which the private area is located

I updated the original post and will report back here as soon as something is learned.

Needless to say I won't be making this hearing
View Quote

What fucked up bill! A fucking argument with your neighbor over a 4th of July PArty can wind you committing domestic violence...bullshit.

I don't think any working person is going to be making a 9:25 in the morning meeting!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
H7419 was held for further study.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
bump for large OP edit
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Reading through some of the 'bills' and cant stop thinking to myself "fuck these people .... we pay them to come up with this shit ?"

Not to mention that it is so confusing I can't believe for a second that these idiots even know what the fuck it is they are talking about ...

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Reading through some of the 'bills' and cant stop thinking to myself "fuck these people .... we pay them to come up with this shit ?"

Not to mention that it is so confusing I can't believe for a second that these idiots even know what the fuck it is they are talking about ...

View Quote

They don't, they have no idea what any of it means. They are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They don't, they have no idea what any of it means. They are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They dont, and they are getting there marching orders from the likes of Bloomberg and Moms Against Guns.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Received from RIGunRights text 6:13 pm tonight:

"The RI House Judiciary Committee will be holding hearings on ALL firearm related bills this Tuesday 3-22-16, State House room 101 4pm.

Proposals include magazine capacity restrictions, gun confiscations and complete CCW reform. We need MASSIVE turnout to preserve our gun rights in RI."

I was supposed to work Tuesday night, but I'm going to try and find coverage so I can be there.

If you don't want to testify, it will help if you show up and wear a yellow pro gun pin (should be available from RI 2nd).

There is usually some sort of sign in sheet (varies each year) outside room 101. If you want to sign in I would advise having a list of all bills in hand. There should be some way for you to put down what bills you're for and what bills you're against.

I'm not sure what I'll be wearing other than a yellow button and a NRA Endowment pin, but I'll be keeping an eye out for other arfcommers.

ETA: posted in CT hometown forum.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be there!
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
RI2nd has reserved the state house rotunda for a 3pm rally Tuesday.

Let's pack it!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#22]
How did it go tonight? I couldn't make it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How did it go tonight? I couldn't make it.
View Quote

We had a great showing at the rotunda rally and there were quite a few pro 2A legislators that either spoke or were recognized while in the crowd.

We definitely outnumbered the anti's as there was a sea of yellow buttons (Gun control doesn't work) wherever I looked. I don't know the hard numbers, but we must have had 30-40 pro firearm people to their one.

Testifying went as expected although I don't think the anti's brought out the big guns as they have in years past. Of course Moms Against Common Sense and Everytown Has Its Idiots was there, but I'm thinking their message(s) was lost in the tsunami of pro firearm testimony.

It was definitely a late night. I didn't testify until around 11:20 or so and there were about another 30 people after me. I have to give credit to the supporters in the crowd as well as the committee members for sticking it out.

I also have to give a huge shout out to Rep Costa who once again bought 30 pizzas for all of us who were waiting to testify.

I didn't stay for the end so I don't know where the bills stand. I'm going to keep an eye out for them on the GA's web site and will update the OP when I find something out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Warmed the heart to be with so many like minded people last night. We had an overwhelming turn out which was very nice to see. I too didn't stay till the end, so I'm waiting for an update.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I just heard from a friend that all of the bills were held for further study.

That is usually the kiss of death for a bill.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Woot!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just heard from a friend that all of the bills were held for further study.

That is usually the kiss of death for a bill.

View Quote

Just went on the GA web site and yep, all the bills (both bad and good) were held for further study.

It would have been nice to see at least one of the beneficial bills go further.

There were quite a few this year that would have benefited pretty much all firearm owners. Not just in RI, but in CT and MA as well.

Hopefully we can make more of a difference when the Senate bills come up for a hearing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Warmed the heart to be with so many like minded people last night. We had an overwhelming turn out which was very nice to see. I too didn't stay till the end, so I'm waiting for an update.
View Quote

I spent most of the wait in room 135. Were you there also?

Also, any idea who the Alex Jones wannabe is and if he has a site? I think I made the mistake of commenting on something while he was filming    

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also, any idea who the Alex Jones wannabe is and if he has a site? I think I made the mistake of commenting on something while he was filming    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Info wars dude. He was the same one that got Miller to tell him to go fuck himself. Biondoni.

I was there but scooted around 7:30 as I had to get back to work to cover a shift I wasn't planning on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
double
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#31]
BEWARE PEOPLE!

ANY AND ALL BILLS CAN MAKE A VERY FAST APPEARANCE FOR A VOTE AT THE END OF THE SESSION!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Figured I'd keep this all here ..
Received this yesterday :

" Members,

We are getting a lot of questions regarding the push in RI for Towns to support a resolution to ban concealed carry firearms on school grounds.

Here is the latest from the RI 2nd Amendment Coalition:

"The Anti Gun Groups are putting in a resolution in support of stopping CCW holders from carrying on school grounds. If the are successful it will put a large amount of pressure on the general assembly to do something with this bill.

Burriville School Committee , Tiverton School Committee, North Kingston Town Council, Warren Town Council will hear this resolution tonight !  Newport Town Council will be heard Wed night.

There are two things you can do:

1.  Show up at these meetings and voice your opinion!

2. http://www.rifol.org/local2016.php Rhode Island Firearms Owners League has set up robo emails that you can send from there website. Each town is listed please go to the website and email the Towns on this issue."

Regards,

TRGC "

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Senate is hearing their bills tomorrow Night Gents!! Don't. forget to at bare minimum email your senators.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#34]
any info on bills to allow suppressors? my folks live in RI and i do a fair bit of shooting there, but no cans makes it a real bummer
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Nothing as of last session.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#36]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#37]
wrong thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top