Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 2:22:03 PM EDT

Going to be in Belfast in a few weeks, Wednesday to Saturday - looking for stuff to do with wife, daughter (13) and son (10). They are not too outdoorsy, but wouldn't mind a short hike.

Would love to see a moose!

Will spend a little time in Acadia - maybe a day or two of the 4-5 we will be there. Any suggestions for inside the park of cool places, or off the beaten path places?

Good places to eat, either in Belfast or near Acadia? Fresh lobster steamed off the boat?

Any local gun shops that would be worth visiting?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a pretty big gun shop between Belfast and Camden.  I can't remember the name.

Belfast places to eat...  YOUNG'S LOBSTER POUND.     It is what you seek, fresh off the boat for sure.  It's a little rough, it's picnic tables and open water tanks - but you won't find fresher food.

If THE MILL is still open - they have awesome homemade ice cream and awesome prices.  They serve up a killer steamed cheeseburger.

There's a Thai place right near there as well - kick as Pad Thai Noodles.  Really nice people.

On the way to Acadia, just at the Trenton/Bar Harbor line is Pirates Cove Mini Golf.  I love that place.  

Make sure you see Cadillac Mountain and Thunder Hole while in Acadia.  There's tons of places to hike, bike, or drive around.  

When will you be there?  My family and I will be in the area as well in mid August.  We're staying at Colonial Gables.  We love that place.  Nice cabins.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Will be there sometime between the 24th-27th. Wife found us a place on Air BnB, not sure exactly where in Belfast.

Those tips are just what I am looking for- especially lobster - need to each the kids how to eat them - thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
About 15 miles from Belfast on your way to Bar Harbor is the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Ft. Knox.   Your entry fee gets you into the  fort and the observation tower in the bridge.   Bring a flashlight for the fort.   Well worth the $10 or so for admission.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

About 15 miles from Belfast on your way to Bar Harbor is the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Ft. Knox.   Your entry fee gets you into the  fort and the observation tower in the bridge.   Bring a flashlight for the fort.   Well worth the $10 or so for admission.
View Quote
Looks pretty neat- and directly related to some of the forts around here we have visited recently so the connections will be neat. Not sure about the tower - afraid of heights! Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Kids will love Fort Knox I bet. Bring a flashlight.

Since you mentioned off the beaten path places, I highly, highly recommend you take an afternoon or something to schoodic point. It's part of Acadia NP, but not on MDI.
Miles of beautiful pink granite beach, far less crowded than Bar Harbor and MDI. The waves typically crash very high in the air. Very scenic, often quiet place. Bring sammiches or something to picnic there.

At Camden state park, Maiden Cliff Trail is a short but very rewarding hike. And on the rte 1 side of the park, I would definitely recommend driving up mount battie for a quick look around. Nice view of Camden harbor and you can see out to MDI and Isle au Haut on a decent day. You could probably find a couple wild blueberries to eat up there.

The breakwater and lighthouse in rockland is very nice.

The lighthouse and park at Owls Head is a favorite of mine.

Maine Military Supply is in Holden.(thanks, jlr99) Might be worth a visit. Largest mil-surp store in New England (I think) and I believe they have a range and full auto rental now. I haven't been there in a few years so I can't say for sure. Check their website maybe.  

There's a giant beer wine liquor store in Ellsworth. Oh, that reminds me, there's an Irish pub/ restaurant right on the main drag in Ellsworth called Finns. I love the food there.

Unlikely to see a moose in the areas you listed, but certainly possible.

Are you driving up or flying in?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Driving.
Milsurp place sounds great - my son would be in heaven!

Thanks for the other ideas as well.

I know its unlikely to see a moose, but its even less likely here in NY!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Maine Military Supply is in Holden.   It is about 25 mins West of Ellsworth on 1a and a few minutes East of Brewer.  They also have an indoor range where you can rent firearms and a paintball range.  If you go to Maine Military go to Bangor and  give the Cole Transportation Museum a look.   It has a lot of train and firetruck stuff but also military memorabilia.  

http://www.colemuseum.org
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Belfast for two nights if anyone wants a beer or a shot of Bulleit whiskey.  

Edit - we just went to a Fountain shop downtown and had a cherry coke float and picked up a Greek pizza at Alexia's.  It's a good night.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Belfast for two nights if anyone wants a beer or a shot of Bulleit whiskey.  

Edit - we just went to a Fountain shop downtown and had a cherry coke float and picked up a Greek pizza at Alexia's.  It's a good night.
View Quote

Missed you by a couple days. I rode through Belfast Sunday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
In brattleboro vt tonight. On to kittery and rhen belfast tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top