Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 8:54:50 PM EDT
Been stationed in CA for a few years and im ready to get out of the military. Only reason I'm going back to Nj is my gi bill will pay me over 4k a month to go to school in NYC (im from hudson county and will be bumming with my mom just pocketing that money). I checked on the NJSP website and it said if i LEGALLY purchased a rifle out of state and it jives with all the "evil features law" I can bring it into the state and voluntarily register it. Seeing as CA gun laws are equally as retarded as NJ except they have veteran exemptions (all i needed was my orders and mil ID and the 10 day waiting period so i got to skip a large part of the process) My 3 ar15 all have pinned and welded brakes etc etc and are free of all things that make them evil baby shooter ghost guns, just to double check i called the Bayonne PD and told them I bought them legally in CA and wanted to bring them into the state and would i have to get a FOID or w.e its called to be in possession of them and he said no and told me i had to register them with the NJSP and Id be good. Any one else have a similar experience? Just to re-iterate I'm a vet who wants to bring legally purchased rifles and a handgun from out of state into NJ, i don't have a FID and the NJSP website as far as i saw said as long as they were legally purchased and abide by "evil features" im kosher. Bayonne PD said its cool but i have to register them with NJSP......seeing as (no offense to any nj law enforcement) NJ law enforcement is pants on head retarded and especially urban PD are even worse when it comes to firearms laws, i just want to make sure i don't up in jail cause nobody knows whats legal and whats not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you need to register long guns?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If the guns are legal you can bring them with you and possess them at your home and use them at the range. You do not need to register them or even get a FPID. The police are generally clueless as to the gun laws, they are the last place you should ask for advice.

It's a good idea to get an FPID though, aside from being able to buy guns it allows you to transport unloaded long guns more freely. Most gun shops won't sell you ammo without one either, even though it's not really required by law. Like I said above most cops are clueless and think a FPID is a requirement to own a gun, which is completely false.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
called the Bayonne PD and told them I bought them legally in CA and wanted to bring them into the state and would i have to get a FOID or w.e its called to be in possession of them and he said no and told me i had to register them with the NJSP and Id be good.
View Quote

Why am I not surprised that a cop shop would be ignorant of NJ firearms laws?

No, you do not need to register them.  NJ has voluntary registration...  which does absolutely nothing.  There's no point in it.  NJ statute 2C:39-6e allows you to transport your firearms from one residence to another while moving.  It also allows you to possess firearms in your home.  No FID required.  No registration required.

ETA:  Not sure about CA, but here in NJ, the Colt AR-15 and Colt CAR-15 are specifically banned by name - regardless of features, or lack thereof.  As long as your AR's are not either of those specific models, they're fine, in traditional "post-ban" configuration.  We don't acknowledge bullet-buttons here, so AR's require fixed buttstocks, shaved or non-existent bayonet lugs, and either a crowned muzzle or a permanently-attached muzzle brake (no flash suppressors), and of course, any and all magazines must be 15-round capacity or lower (same applies for any handguns).  I know you have all of this covered - just stating it here for completeness, should someone else stumble upon this post long after we're all gone  
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
so nothing colt? not even a le6920? i dont have one i was just considering grabbing another lower before i get to nj and it was gonna be a colt lower. So the state police are right if they are withing nj laws and purchased legally i can bring all 3 of my ar15 and my handgun EVEN IF I DON'T have a FID, I won't be able to buy ammo or buy another gun unless I get a FID card but I can still lets say take it to PA and shoot out there or at any local range. I'm just paranoid about god forbid i get stopped for w.e reason and cop who doesn't know shit in lets say Jersey City or another shithole like Newark and they see I have no FID and take my guns. Thats kinda why I want to register them so I can have proof that they are not illegal (I have kept all my CA paperwork and DROS for all my lowers and keep them with the guns just in case). Since I'm only gonna be back home for school and then leaving afterwards to free america I'm reluctant to get an FID since I heard Bayonne does the whole "asks your neighbors thing" and the lady in the downstairs apartment from my mom greatly dislikes her and i think has some mental issues and the people next door I'm pretty sure are borderline felons who I don't want knowing I have firearms in my house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so nothing colt? not even a le6920? i dont have one i was just considering grabbing another lower before i get to nj and it was gonna be a colt lower. So the state police are right if they are withing nj laws and purchased legally i can bring all 3 of my ar15 and my handgun EVEN IF I DON'T have a FID, I won't be able to buy ammo or buy another gun unless I get a FID card but I can still lets say take it to PA and shoot out there or at any local range. I'm just paranoid about god forbid i get stopped for w.e reason and cop who doesn't know shit in lets say Jersey City or another shithole like Newark and they see I have no FID and take my guns. Thats kinda why I want to register them so I can have proof that they are not illegal (I have kept all my CA paperwork and DROS for all my lowers and keep them with the guns just in case). Since I'm only gonna be back home for school and then leaving afterwards to free america I'm reluctant to get an FID since I heard Bayonne does the whole "asks your neighbors thing" and the lady in the downstairs apartment from my mom greatly dislikes her and i think has some mental issues and the people next door I'm pretty sure are borderline felons who I don't want knowing I have firearms in my house.
View Quote

The model is "LE6920", not "AR-15" or "CAR-15", so yes it is legal in the proper configuration.

I would HIGHLY recommend against registering anything, nothing good can come from it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm myself am against registration I'm just a little paranoid since all three of my AR have hard to find out of production parts (Two block ii M4A1 FSP and Non FSP and a MK12 Mod 1) so I would be insanely screwed if some asshole cop decides to confiscate them I doubt he will let me just give him the lower and let me keep my uppers. I'm most likely going to just buy a safe let them chill in there and sadly neglect them till I get my degree and leave the peoples republic of NJ and escape to free america.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm myself am against registration I'm just a little paranoid since all three of my AR have hard to find out of production parts (Two block ii M4A1 FSP and Non FSP and a MK12 Mod 1) so I would be insanely screwed if some asshole cop decides to confiscate them I doubt he will let me just give him the lower and let me keep my uppers
View Quote

I can GUARANTEE you that registering your rifles will do NOTHING to prevent your guns from being confiscated. Don't register. There is NO benefit WHATSOEVER.

As long as the gun is legal in NJ, you can bring it with you when you move. No need to register anything. Handguns or long guns. Registration is voluntary and dumb. Much higher chance of your guns being "impounded" if your local police know they exist. If the cops don't know the guns exist, how can they ever take them?

Be very careful bringing ANY hollowpoints into NJ. This includes rifle rounds. Either go read up on NJ hollowpoint laws or just sell them off before you cross the border. Not worth the hassle/risk. Most people load their home defense handgun with Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty as they are not "hollow."

You should absolutely apply for your FID as soon as you have your residency established and your paperwork in order.  Most police are ignorant and treat the FPID as a de-facto "license to own" even though it is strictly for purchasing.  Life is easier with an FPID. You also need it to purchase any ammo that can be used in a handgun (9mm, .40, etc). Many dealers also insist on seeing your FPID for for buying .22LR, but small mom & pop shops sometimes will sell it to you if you casually drop something like (I'd like to buy some ammo for my Henry .22 lever rifle").

One last note on your pinned and welded brakes. If you can stick your pinky inside, NJ will consider it a flash hider. The muzzle device must have an opening the size of the projectile.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
what!!!! so what brakes are kosher?? i have a surefire brake and a griffen armament nt4 compensator and the ops inc brake and collar on my mk12
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what!!!! so what brakes are kosher?? i have a surefire brake and a griffen armament nt4 compensator and the ops inc brake and collar on my mk12
View Quote

All of those should be fine. One caveat with the ops inc brake is that the collar needs to be permanently attached as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
even if its an 18" barrel? i don't really mind it since I plan on keeping it mk12 all day errrday but isnt that pin and weld going to ruin the threads? I plan on getting the aem5 supressor for it when i move back to the states and that would really put a damper on that plan.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
even if its an 18" barrel? i don't really mind it since I plan on keeping it mk12 all day errrday but isnt that pin and weld going to ruin the threads? I plan on getting the aem5 supressor for it when i move back to the states and that would really put a damper on that plan.
View Quote

AG opinion is that the barrel cannot have any threads to attach a flash hider. Since a suppressor is a flash hider that would include the collar threads on the ops inc brake.

ETA: the AG letter specifically says "threaded" so thread-less suppressor mounts like a HK three lug for example are actually OK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck that noise I'm shipping my mk12 upper to my dads in texas, aint no way I'm ruining it cause of this shithole states dumbass laws probably written by people who don't know anything about guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
aint no way I'm ruining it cause of this shithole states dumbass laws probably written by people who don't know anything about guns.
View Quote

well, that's the EXACT case here.

NJ thinks guns are satan, and owners of guns are worse than satan. fucking morons don't see that it's the criminals we harbor and encourage here, NOT the guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Confirmed. I live in Bayonne for the last several years and YES, they interviewed my neighbors about my FID application when I moved here.  That actually happened and the neighbor confirmed it.

Eta: the neighbor that confirmed was about 20 years old and wears a trench coat and mask like Bane from Batman.  not kidding.  the cops basically told that kid there was guns next door.  scary stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
What if your neighbors are super hardcore gun haters? They decide to say they will not stand for it? Can they deny me due to like "public interest".
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What if your neighbors are super hardcore gun haters? They decide to say they will not stand for it? Can they deny me due to like "public interest".
View Quote

that was always my concern as well, especially in this area.  thankfully, it didn't come to that.  not really sure how they'd handle it if that is how the neighbor conversation went.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
my guns are already NJ compliant and i have all the paperwork for em from when i bought em......i called the state police and they told me as long as their compliant i don't even need a FID just cant buy ammo or new gun. But since the cops in this state are morons I'm still paranoid god forbid they find it and decide to lock me up and take my shit anyways.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
my guns are already NJ compliant and i have all the paperwork for em from when i bought em......i called the state police and they told me as long as their compliant i don't even need a FID just cant buy ammo or new gun. But since the cops in this state are morons I'm still paranoid god forbid they find it and decide to lock me up and take my shit anyways.
View Quote

I'm kinda shocked you talked to someone from NJSP who actually gave you accurate info
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed with Mak0.  But you can usually buy long gun ammo without the FID.  Honestly I'm not sure what the law says but most shops only ask if it's handgun caliber.  Even then, sometimes not.  

Otherwise, road trip out to Cabela's in the more free state of PA like I did today!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Agreed with Mak0.  But you can usually buy long gun ammo without the FID.  Honestly I'm not sure what the law says but most shops only ask if it's handgun caliber.  Even then, sometimes not.  

Otherwise, road trip out to Cabela's in the more free state of PA like I did today!
View Quote

Yup, just cross the river or buy online. Both are cheaper than buying locally anyway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm kinda shocked you talked to someone from NJSP who actually gave you accurate info
View Quote

The dude was actually pretty helpful and assured me that I didn't have to register my long guns. He said the bayonne PD don't know what their talking about (BPD told me i could keep my guns but i needed to register them with the NJSP). My worry of course is the road tripping part to PA like I said god forbid I get pulled over....and as much as i hate to bring race into this but Im Non white so a fun trip to PA to shoot my block 2's or my mk12 could end up with me in jail or me loosing my shit cause of all the confusion with gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want to avoid trouble I'd suggest applying for your FPID card and not taking your guns out until you get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top