Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2016 3:09:47 PM EDT
My local PD makes you surrender your FID card when applying for a change of address. In the meantime, how am I supposed to transport my firearms to and from the range comfortably.

Yes yes, cased and locked in the trunk yada yada.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My local PD makes you surrender your FID card when applying for a change of address. In the meantime, how am I supposed to transport my firearms to and from the range comfortably.

View Quote

"I lost it in the move"
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"I lost it in the move"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I lost it in the move"
Lol really?!

Then instead of applying for a change of address, wouldnt it be lost or stolen instead?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lol really?!  

Then instead of applying for a change of address, wouldnt it be lost or stolen instead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I lost it in the move"
Lol really?!  

It's actually easier to get a replacement card vs a change of address, no references are required for a replacement. Other than that it's the same process, of course there's no standardized procedure for what to do when someone loses a FPID during a move (I'm sure it's ha to have happened before) and technically needs both a change of address and replacement. If they are giving you a hard time about it you can always "go home and look for it again".

ETA: actually I think you just check both "replacement" and "change of address" on STS-003 form in that scenario, I don't really remember off the top of my head

ETA 2: Actually on second thought I'm not sure if STS-003 is even an accepted form anymore, they very well may make you use STS-033 for all replacements and address changes now. In which case you would still need references.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My local PD does the same thing. Pissed me off when I moved because I had a gun at the LGS I wanted to pickup.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have told them I do not have it with me when I drop off my application and they generally do not care.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have told them I do not have it with me when I drop off my application and they generally do not care.
View Quote
The PD in the AO I moved into explicitly stated that I have to surrender it. Not sure if that is required.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PD in the AO I moved into explicitly stated that I have to surrender it. Not sure if that is required.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My PD also said that it must be surrendered.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's actually easier to get a replacement card vs a change of address, no references are required for a replacement. Other than that it's the same process, of course there's no standardized procedure for what to do when someone loses a FPID during a move (I'm sure it's ha to have happened before) and technically needs both a change of address and replacement. If they are giving you a hard time about it you can always "go home and look for it again".

ETA: actually I think you just check both "replacement" and "change of address" on STS-003 form in that scenario, I don't really remember off the top of my head

ETA 2: Actually on second thought I'm not sure if STS-003 is even an accepted form anymore, they very well may make you use STS-033 for all replacements and address changes now. In which case you would still need references.
View Quote

References for a FPID? Since when?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to list two references when you apply for a FPID or a pistol permit. Box 29 on the form.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess it's been a while. I thought references were only for PPPs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Dropped off the paperwork this morning. The clock starts now...

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you guys carry the FID just to cover your ass if stopped?

I have never asked for the FID card on stops. I have never had any inform me it is needed just to transport.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry it with me at all times, for a few reasons.  First, and foremost - if I'm out, and feel like buying a rifle or buying ammo, it's there.  Secondly, if I'm only taking rifles to the range, I can go do other things...  stop at a store, stop for lunch, etc.  I've never been asked about weapons in the vehicle, let alone asked to produce an FID.  Then again, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been stopped, so it's not the best sample size to go by.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I carry it with me at all times, for a few reasons.  First, and foremost - if I'm out, and feel like buying a rifle or buying ammo, it's there.  Secondly, if I'm only taking rifles to the range, I can go do other things...  stop at a store, stop for lunch, etc.  I've never been asked about weapons in the vehicle, let alone asked to produce an FID.  Then again, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been stopped, so it's not the best sample size to go by.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry mine at all times too for these exact reasons.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I typically only carry my FID when Im transporting firearms (handguns, rifles, or shotguns). I dont see a need to carry it when Im at work or doing unrelated activities.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I typically only carry my FID when Im transporting firearms (handguns, rifles, or shotguns). I dont see a need to carry it when Im at work or doing unrelated activities.
View Quote

But what if on the way home from work you on a whim stop off at a LGS and find a pew pew you want?

It's happened to me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have never asked for the FID card on stops. I have never had any inform me it is needed just to transport.
View Quote

I keep it on me on the off chance that I get pulled over with long guns I have that extra chance to get out of trouble. Based upon conversations i have had with a handful of LEOs I'm not terribly confident that most cops know the law. So I doubt it would do any good in the long run.

Why don't you ask for it on stops? Do you usually inquire about guns on stops?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I keep it on me on the off chance that I get pulled over with long guns I have that extra chance to get out of trouble. Based upon conversations i have had with a handful of LEOs I'm not terribly confident that most cops know the law. So I doubt it would do any good in the long run.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everyone keeps their ammo / targets under a blanket.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty paranoid about it myself. Everything is buttoned up on my range days.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm pretty paranoid about it myself. Everything is buttoned up on my range days.

View Quote
This. I try and look and act like Joe Schmo when I go to pop off.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Targets and ammo are locked up in a separate bag and if it'll fit behind the rear seat in the F-150 that's where it goes. Same with handguns I take to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top