Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
I was down at the Outer Banks this week..but left early because of the rain...and the charters weren't going out.    

I've heard you can go for Tuna from some of the NJ areas out to the 'canyons' (as opposed to getting to the gulfstream from the Outer Banks).  

Was going to try for a 'make up' charter (not charter the whole boat myself).

Any NJ residents have experience or recommendations?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can get a charter to go out for tuna but expect to pay big bucks since its a long haul to the canyons.

Usually weather permitting I spend every weekend out in the canyons. The only 2 that are a pain in the ass to get to from me is the Hudson and Baltimore Canyon. The Lindenkohl, Willmington, Carterett are pretty much the same distance from Little Egg Inlet where I am out of.

Below are some of the local prices for a charter:
48' Viking Overnighter- $825 / person or $4,695
60' Custom Overnighter - $5,995

On average, the distance is 68-78nm and for our boat we run 21-22 knots fully loaded and 24 knots coming back (3-4 hour boat ride depending on conditions). So far this year the Tuna has been up North at the Hudson canyon, but due to the distance I would be pushing my fuel limits (~110-120nm). As of right now a normal trip to the Lindenkohl with all day trolling and generator running, we consume ~150-180 gallons of diesel (twin Cats 3126). Last time I went to the Hudson we came back with only ~30 gallons and no fish .

So far this year we have yet to catch a single tuna, however the Swordfish, Tile Fish, Mahi Mahi, and Wahoo have been plentiful.

I have a feeling though the later October chunk is going to turn on with fury.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, you can get a charter to go out for tuna but expect to pay big bucks since its a long haul to the canyons.

Usually weather permitting I spend every weekend out in the canyons. The only 2 that are a pain in the ass to get to from me is the Hudson and Baltimore Canyon. The Lindenkohl, Willmington, Carterett are pretty much the same distance from Little Egg Inlet where I am out of.

On average, the distance is 68-78nm and for our boat we run 21-22 knots fully loaded and 24 knots coming back (3-4 hour boat ride depending on conditions). So far this year the Tuna has been up North at the Hudson canyon, but due to the distance I would be pushing my fuel limits (~110-120nm). As of right now a normal trip to the Lindenkohl with all day trolling and generator running, we consume ~150-180 gallons of diesel (twin Cats 3126). Last time I went to the Hudson we came back with only ~30 gallons and no fish .

So far this year we have yet to catch a single tuna, however the Swordfish, Tile Fish, Mahi Mahi, and Wahoo have been plentiful.

View Quote

Thanks!

What's the possession limit on the Tuna?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I did a tuna charter out of NJ about ten years ago.

Then I did some research and discovered it was less expensive to drive down to the outer banks, rent a house for four days, and do a tuna charter, than it was to charter a boat out of NJ.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[

Thanks!

What's the possession limit on the Tuna?

View Quote

3 per person for yellowfin
No limit for BigEye or Skipjack
1 per boat for Bluefin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did a tuna charter out of NJ about ten years ago.

Then I did some research and discovered it was less expensive to drive down to the outer banks, rent a house for four days, and do a tuna charter, than it was to charter a boat out of NJ.  

View Quote

My cousin goes to the Outter Banks for tuna too..... and for the same reasons. It's cheaper there and he makes a vacation out of it.  The best part - he hates fish and gives it all away.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to go to the Outter Banks. However, there is a certain thrill I guess with going for Tuna out of NJ. It's not for the faint of heart. Quite honestly I love those calm clear nights on the ocean where it looks like a planetarium. However, the ocean is an unforgiving beast.

Earlier this year NOAA was calling for light and variable winds seas 1-2ft at the canyons and >1ft inshore for 2 days. Decided to do an overnighter that day. Early in the morning the wind picked up quite a bit and we decided to call it and head in. After 10nm of running in the wind started as variable, increased to 5-10 knots then to 15-20 knots out of the SW. Seas started off at 2-3ft on the way in with the occasional 4ft mixed in. They just kept building to 3-6ft, 6-8ft. Felt like we were in a washing machine. That was the only time I was scared shitless on the water. Had a pucker factor of at least 10.

At one point we came over a 6ft wave and were greeted with what we thought to be a 12ft wave. That thing looked like a monster from a 30' boat (32 with pulpit). Also appeared out of no where. As we were going up it the bow started to drift to port going up the wave. We thought that was the end there. We endured 4 hours of that slop before the seas let up. Lucky as we got more and more inshore the seas started to ease up a bit and 3-5ft was a welcome sight. Total trip was 6 hours.

Whenever I feel a SW wind pick up, I always remember that day and watch the seas extremely close. There was no other explanation other than NOAA blew the forecast and by the time we figured it out it was too late.

Red Sky at Night, Sailor's Delight,
Red Sky in Morning, Sailor's Warning

That morning was a red sky.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of boat are you running?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#9]
2001 Albemarle 305 Express. Best 30' boat I have ever owned. Bought it at the end of 2001 and still running strong until today.

Thinking about selling her and getting a 36' but been thorough so much (memories and fish) and got us home safely every time she will be hard to part with.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
No but I have about 200 pounds of vertical jigs if you run out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top