Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 3:44:16 PM EDT
I have a neighbor across the street. They've always had cameras videoing everything.
I didnt care because I didnt feel I was being recorded.
Recently (24-48 hrs) the cameras have been aimed at MY house!
I have a young daughter and I'm not very comfortable with that. He's kind of creepy and eccentric.
What are the laws in regards to this?
I know we have some LEO's here, so maybe I can get some insight before going to the police station tomorrow.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately he is not breaking any law in New Jersey based on what you describe. He is free to point his cameras any angle or view he would have is he was standing right there where the camera is.  He has a right to be there, and a right to look.  Same as if he stood there and was just watching all day.  No laws about such.  You can set 100 cameras up on your lawn or porch or on your house or in your house pointed at every neighbor on your block.  Its all legal in NJ.    

Now depending who your police department is, you might be able to get a sympathetic officer will to talk to him about it, which may make him change his behavior, but there is no legal requirement they go or he change his cameras after.  

The closest law on the books is Criminal Trespass, N.J.S.A. 2C:18-3, that states: "A person commits a crime of the fourth degree if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he peers into a window or other opening of a dwelling or other structure adapted for overnight accommodation for the purpose of invading the privacy of another person and under circumstances in which a reasonable person in the dwelling or other structure would not expect to be observed."  Now before he can be charged, the police will need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the neighbor was knowing recording into a window- not just a overview of your exterior or a portion of your exterior, but his screen was zoomed in and focused into a window.  Now unless he volunteers to show such to the police, there is no law that allows them to look at his screen or what he recorded at this point.  Additionally, if the cameras don't have zoom lenses, there is no reason to believe he is looking in your actual windows.  

Sorry!  NJ only has laws prohibiting the use of hidden cameras only in certain circumstances, such as in locker rooms or restrooms, or for the purpose of viewing a person in a state of partial or full nudity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

The police dept  <sigh>.....
I've gone to them in the past about cars speeding down my block. 50+++ in a 25 zone. (F*kin ppl move here from the city and think it's the F*kin dukes of hazzard....) anyway....
They wouldn't do anything.
Cars were actually speeding by while I was talking with the cop. Nothing! Zip! Nada!
A woman blew a stop sign up the block a while back and KNOCKED A DUMP TRUCK OVER!!!
I wrote to the mayor and asked if they weren't going to enforce the law, could they at least put in a sign. They did......ON THE WRONG F*KIN STREET!

ok...mini rant over
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Get an attorney (I know a few, email me if you want). My brother in law (one of them) has helped me out in the past. Example:I had a landlord who refused to return my security deposit and withheld it for over a month after i moved out. My brother in law sent him a letter threatening further action, and lo and behold a week later I had the security deposit via certified mail.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I would talk to the camera wielding neighbor and politely tell him your concern. If he doesn't stop, I would get a camera train it on his house, zoom in and stream it live out on Ustream.

I have a camera covering my back door. Rather than put it on the eaves and have it record my neighbors living room, I specifically put it in a tree on the fence line pointing away from my neighbors house so it didn't look like I was recording their house.

Maybe an infrared laser hardwired to a power supply pointed at his camera?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
aim a laser at each camera. it'll blow the image out so bad he wont be able to see shit. red or green will do, green is preferred. he WILL know where its coming from though.

a high powered spotlight will do also. at least at night.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
At least you went to the cops about it.  I have the same situation, only worse.. The neighbor IS A COP.  Apparently a paranoid one, but still a cop. He has 16 exterior cameras.  He tells me when my wife goes to work - she works nights.  I can't do shit because he knows every time I come and go, including range time.  His cameras cover his house, the street and 3 neighbor's houses.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least you went to the cops about it.  I have the same situation, only worse.. The neighbor IS A COP.  Apparently a paranoid one, but still a cop. He has 16 exterior cameras.  He tells me when my wife goes to work - she works nights.  I can't do shit because he knows every time I come and go, including range time.  His cameras cover his house, the street and 3 neighbor's houses.
View Quote

I'd go over to his place & strike up a conversation about Jade Helm.
Because I'm that kind of a guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

16 exterior cameras - ??? Paranoid? I have no words - 16? WTF? Guy's got Fort Knox in his basement?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16 exterior cameras - ??? Paranoid? I have no words - 16? WTF? Guy's got Fort Knox in his basement?

Yes, I'm not kidding!!   He has all four sides of his house covered from multiple angles.  He has a desk job (computer geek for local PD) so he goes to work and looks at the recordings. A little red line shows up to indicate movement so he doesn't have to watch hours of video.  He can also look at it live on a smart phone, tablet, computer, ect.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes, I'm not kidding!!   He has all four sides of his house covered from multiple angles.  He has a desk job (computer geek for local PD) so he goes to work and looks at the recordings. A little red line shows up to indicate movement so he doesn't have to watch hours of video.  He can also look at it live on a smart phone, tablet, computer, ect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Start throwing sticks and rocks in the cameras path at an angle so it flags it as movement. Try this multiple times a day and make him watch hours and hours of video. Another option is to throw bird seed all over and that way the birds will do the work for you.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Start throwing sticks and rocks in the cameras path at an angle so it flags it as movement. Try this multiple times a day and make him watch hours and hours of video. Another option is to throw bird seed all over and that way the birds will do the work for you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I like that idea.  I'll tell him I had left over fertilizer.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I went to the local PD and SUPRISE! I got a real asshole to talk to.
"How do you KNOW he's recording?" Etc etc.

No problem. Plan B.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If it were me I would have my attorney send him a letter. Really ruffle the fuckers feathers.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Last time I spoke to a lawyer was in the 90's when I had some rental property that my tenant thought paying the rent was optional.
She was history in 2 weeks, but it still cost me plenty $$$.

I may -or- may not have actually HAD a pair of official MC Hammer pants. LOL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top