Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2015 10:10:58 AM EDT
Hello, I haven't purchased a handgun in 3 years but am heading to my local PD to file for 3 permits. Sayreville is the town. Are there any new rules in effect I need to know about before I go? Just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello, I haven't purchased a handgun in 3 years but am heading to my local PD to file for 3 permits. Sayreville is the town. Are there any new rules in effect I need to know about before I go? Just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Just that the 212A background check is done online.  You no longer supply a money order.  The local PD gives you their ORI code, and points you to the NJSP web portal, where you fill out your information, request the background check, pay 'em $20 via CC, and give them that ORI number so they return the results of the check back to your  local PD.

Note that the mental health form has changed this year (nothing of substance, but just make sure you have the current revision).  You're best off downloading both the STS-33 and SP-066 forms from the NJSP web site.  Fill them out, print them out, take them to the PD, sign them, turn them in, get the ORI code, and apply for your background check.

Should be pretty simple, relatively-speaking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just that the 212A background check is done online.  You no longer supply a money order.  The local PD gives you their ORI code, and points you to the NJSP web portal, where you fill out your information, request the background check, pay 'em $20 via CC, and give them that ORI number so they return the results of the check back to your  local PD.

Note that the mental health form has changed this year (nothing of substance, but just make sure you have the current revision).  You're best off downloading both the STS-33 and SP-066 forms from the NJSP web site.  Fill them out, print them out, take them to the PD, sign them, turn them in, get the ORI code, and apply for your background check.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, sounds easy. Download forms, fill out, print out, go to PD, submit forms, get ORI code, return home, get back to SP website, request background check, pay 20 bucks, and wait for local PD to produce...
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
QUICK QUESTION, Do I still pay 2 bucks per each permit at the PD?  I'm going to stop by on my way home today. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
No the simple part would be, being like the 44 other states of this union and only need a drivers license. No permits required.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok , so no money required at the PD. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok , so no money required at the PD. Thanks.
View Quote

Yes, you pay two bucks per permit.  I pay for mine in cash when I pick them up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Tom. I went the other day with cash just in case.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I know the $2 per permit is the norm statewide but my town has actually never charged me for pistol permits.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
A few years ago I applied for my 5th hand gun permit, the charge was $18.00. For some reason if you acquired a hand gun and FID card in the same Municipality it was $18.00. Anyone have a link that they could locate for me. My Municipality wants to charge me $85.00.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A few years ago I applied for my 5th hand gun permit, the charge was $18.00. For some reason if you acquired a hand gun and FID card in the same Municipality it was $18.00. Anyone have a link that they could locate for me. My Municipality wants to charge me $85.00.

Thanks.
View Quote
You don't need a link, you need a lawyer.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A few years ago I applied for my 5th hand gun permit, the charge was $18.00.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was actually for the SBI background check.  You also would have been charged $2 when you received the permit.
My Municipality wants to charge me $85.00.

That's a fingerprinting fee, for a first-time FID application.  Specifically, 2C:58-3e states, in part:
The chief police officer or the superintendent shall obtain the fingerprints of the applicant and shall have them compared with any and all records of fingerprints in the municipality and county in which the applicant resides and also the records of the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, provided that an applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonably satisfactory proof of his identity, need not be fingerprinted again; however, the chief police officer or the superintendent shall proceed to investigate the application to determine whether or not the applicant has become subject to  any of the disabilities set forth in this chapter.

It sounds like you're now in another municipality from the one where you initially obtained your FID card/purchase permits.  Regardless, the statute says that if you possess a valid FID, and you provide satisfactory proof of your identity, you need not be fingerprinted again.

Then again, "need not" does not mean "shall not".  It's really at the discretion of the police chief.  I would question their $85 fee, and explain that your understanding of the statute says that since you already have an FID, and therefore an SBI number, that you don't need to be fingerprinted again.

If they resist, I'd recommend joining the NJ2AS, and contacting them regarding their 'Operation Establish Compliance' program - http://www.nj2as.com
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]
These PD's are all fucked up. I wanted 5 permits.. I was told the 5 is a problem and that you can only use 3 because of the 1 a month law and permits are only valid for 90 days... I said I am aware of that but I am also allowed an extension for another 90 days. Lady says... We dont issue extensions anymore, prosecutor says no more and Only way they will is if proof is provided that I am waiting for something. I said thats bullshit and gimme my 3 permits!!

They all got us by the nutsack and do what they want anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These PD's are all fucked up.
View Quote

What municipality?

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What municipality?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These PD's are all fucked up.

What municipality?

Sayreville. I wasnt about to make a big stink because I have a couple items waiting at my FFL. Im not happy and Im not happy about this 30 day bullshit. I could go into a really huge rant right now but I am restraining...

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These PD's are all fucked up. I wanted 5 permits.. I was told the 5 is a problem and that you can only use 3 because of the 1 a month law and permits are only valid for 90 days... I said I am aware of that but I am also allowed an extension for another 90 days. Lady says... We dont issue extensions anymore, prosecutor says no more and Only way they will is if proof is provided that I am waiting for something. I said thats bullshit and gimme my 3 permits!!

They all got us by the nutsack and do what they want anyway.
View Quote

Many people don't know this but you can actually return a handgun to a FFL and use a second permit within the 30 day period for a replacement. So it is possible to use more than 3 permits legally within 90 days without an exemption or extension.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a data point, requested 3 pistol permits from Robbinsville Friday.  We shall see how long...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just a data point, requested 3 pistol permits from Robbinsville Friday.  We shall see how long...
View Quote

I have three in with Readington Twp. since the 12th.  This is my first time with the electronic background check.  I'm also curious to see how long it takes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
My first time also with new system. Sayreville told me 6 to 8 weeks , 5 if Im lucky and to call them in 4 just to check if I dont hear from them first. My references got the form and sent back within first week.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was actually for the SBI background check.  You also would have been charged $2 when you received the permit.

That's a fingerprinting fee, for a first-time FID application.  Specifically, 2C:58-3e states, in part:

It sounds like you're now in another municipality from the one where you initially obtained your FID card/purchase permits.  Regardless, the statute says that if you possess a valid FID, and you provide satisfactory proof of your identity, you need not be fingerprinted again.

Then again, "need not" does not mean "shall not".  It's really at the discretion of the police chief.  I would question their $85 fee, and explain that your understanding of the statute says that since you already have an FID, and therefore an SBI number, that you don't need to be fingerprinted again.

If they resist, I'd recommend joining the NJ2AS, and contacting them regarding their 'Operation Establish Compliance' program - http://www.nj2as.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Municipality wants to charge me $85.00.

The chief police officer or the superintendent shall obtain the fingerprints of the applicant and shall have them compared with any and all records of fingerprints in the municipality and county in which the applicant resides and also the records of the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, provided that an applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonably satisfactory proof of his identity, need not be fingerprinted again; however, the chief police officer or the superintendent shall proceed to investigate the application to determine whether or not the applicant has become subject to  any of the disabilities set forth in this chapter.

I'm in the same municipality, they are just being a pain in the ass!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My first time also with new system. Sayreville told me 6 to 8 weeks , 5 if Im lucky and to call them in 4 just to check if I dont hear from them first. My references got the form and sent back within first week.
View Quote

Are they doing reference letters for Permits or just FIDs?  I forget.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sayreville sent out the reference letters for my handgun permits. I wasn't sure if they would send them out but they did. Atleast they were out and back within the 1st week. Thats a good sign I suppose..lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's what I wonder about the 3 permits/90 days deal. working this out in my head:

Often times that department will sit on a bunch of permits. It might be 5 days before you get to see that permit or use it.
You now, from the moment you get them, have 85 days to use them

You use 1, and you have to wait 30 days, from that day, to use the next ones right?
85 - 31= 54 days for the remaining permits.

You use Permit 2 that day.
54 - 31 = 23 days.

You now have 23 days from the original 90 days, for a 31 day waiting period.
23 - 31 = -8 days

Even if you don't get screwed for a few days, instead of ending up at day 98, you might end up at day 93.
Don't you need an extension by default for that last final permit?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#24]
You need to redo your math again.
Buy Gun #1 on Day #5
Buy Gun #2 on Day #36
Buy Gun #3 on Day #67
Look at that. You have 23 days to spare.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need to redo your math again.
Buy Gun #1 on Day #5
Buy Gun #2 on Day #36
Buy Gun #3 on Day #67
Look at that. You have 23 days to spare.
View Quote

This is what I get for being on 4 hours of sleep, thank you kind sir

Is it time for me to meet the ambien walrus?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Either way... You are forced to move quick once you have the permits in hand. And Yes, Permits might be dated a week before they get to your hands. This is why friendly phone calls are necessary. And this is why I already have 2 pieces at my FFL waiting for me. And I know what the 3rd permit is going to be for. When I lived in Bloomfield, I would just get 5 at a time and keep them. If I decided to shop, I was always ready. If I came across something I wanted, I was ready... Permits that didnt get used got ripped up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have three in with Readington Twp. since the 12th.  This is my first time with the electronic background check.  I'm also curious to see how long it takes.
View Quote

Got the call on Friday.  Assuming nothing happened when I dropped it off until the following Monday, that was 33 days to turn it around.

Not bad...  still against statute, but not bad  

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my call on the 15th. Picked up that day and went right to my dealer and got my USP to start the clock for number 2! Overall 28 days, Im happy!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#30]

I'll be at 30 days Monday in Robbinsville.  I'll call then and see what the status is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Permits ready.  31 days in Robbinsville.  Nice job Robbinsville PD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top