Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 9:37:15 AM EDT
The reason I ask is that in reading over the requirements it seems like a NJ FPID should technically satisfy their requirement to have a "LICENSE, PERMIT, OR SIMILAR DOCUMENT TO CARRY A FIREARM" from your home state. Your FPID allows you to carry certain firearms (long guns) in public under certain circumstances. This argument would be especially good for people who have an old FPID that clearly states on it that it's valid for "purchase and carry" of long guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The reason I ask is that in reading over the requirements it seems like a NJ FPID should technically satisfy their requirement to have a "LICENSE, PERMIT, OR SIMILAR DOCUMENT TO CARRY A FIREARM" from your home state. Your FPID allows you to carry certain firearms (long guns) in public under certain circumstances. This argument would be especially good for people who have an old FPID that clearly states on it that it's valid for "purchase and carry" of long guns.
View Quote

You're stretching it there Matt. Maybe some old timer can test the waters. NJJG or LD?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The reason I ask is that in reading over the requirements it seems like a NJ FPID should technically satisfy their requirement to have a "LICENSE, PERMIT, OR SIMILAR DOCUMENT TO CARRY A FIREARM" from your home state.
View Quote

Remember that in the PA UFA, the section involving licensing excludes rifles and shotguns from the definition of "firearm".  Your home state license, permit, or similar document would need to grant the ability to carry a "firearm" as it is defined within the PA UFA.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remember that in the PA UFA, the section involving licensing excludes rifles and shotguns from the definition of "firearm".  Your home state license, permit, or similar document would need to grant the ability to carry a "firearm" as it is defined within the PA UFA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason I ask is that in reading over the requirements it seems like a NJ FPID should technically satisfy their requirement to have a "LICENSE, PERMIT, OR SIMILAR DOCUMENT TO CARRY A FIREARM" from your home state.

True, although certain subsections of UFA also include any weapon designed to "expel any projectile by the action of an explosive" in the definition of a firearm.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(e) Definitions.—
(1) For purposes of subsection (b)(3), (4), (5), (7) and (8), the term "firearm" shall include any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of the weapon.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm far from an SME on this but:
From what I understand....Sheriff Denny Nau was the only sherriff in Pa that was considering NJFID as sufficient proof for an PA CCW.

THEN.... the NJ attorney general (Holder IIRC) stepped in and said NO to this interpretation.

Has anything changed/challenged this to challenge the interpretation/law? Or is it just that there's a different NJAG?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From what I understand....Sheriff Denny Nau was the only sherriff in Pa that was considering NJFID as sufficient proof for an PA CCW.

THEN.... the NJ attorney general (Holder IIRC) stepped in and said NO to this interpretation.

Has anything changed/challenged this to challenge the interpretation/law? Or is it just that there's a different NJAG?
View Quote

Question- does it matter what a NJAG says about a PA law? If PA sees the NJFID as sufficient, then what power does someone from NJ have to change it?

I used to have a PA CCW but it expired last fall. I had used my MA LTC to get it before I switched to a NJ resident. I was going to renew it but I don't think you can apply by mail anymore. It all has to be done in person and I haven't been able to get over to that part of PA yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Question- does it matter what a NJAG says about a PA law? If PA sees the NJFID as sufficient, then what power does someone from NJ have to change it?

I used to have a PA CCW but it expired last fall. I had used my MA LTC to get it before I switched to a NJ resident. I was going to renew it but I don't think you can apply by mail anymore. It all has to be done in person and I haven't been able to get over to that part of PA yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO none, but you know how politics works. The power of persuasion & all that shit.
IDK if this was fact, I'm looking for confirmation...and why it appears to have apparently changed.....:D

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I was able to do it as a NJ resident ONLY many moons ago because at that time I had a NJ carry permit for Armored car work only.
I went through York PA.

Once it expired, I no longer had a NJ permit to carry due to a career change so I did not try to renew it.

Just an fyi...

RW3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top