Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:42:43 PM EDT
Anyone know what type of shooting range Fort Dix has?  I'm assuming it's outdoor for rifle.  

What's the ground like?  Concrete, gravel, grassy, or dirt?  Covered or not?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 200 yard outdoor rifle range. Shooting area is covered with the roof, cement ground with shooting benches. The actual range itself is a mixture between dirt and sand. Pistol range is 25 yards uncovered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I pushed that berm up a couple times.
Like was said, it has a nice roof recently installed.
All sand.
Very touchy on the rules.
Nice remote skeet range on the premises as well.
It's known as Range 14 if you are looking for directions when on post.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Skeet and trap are the only things I go there for. The rifle and pistol range rules drive me nuts, I understand why they operate like they do but I don't care for it. Plus you have the old locals who have been around for 100 years and think that they own the place.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, but I was more interested in the range from the military side of things.  Looking to buy some brass from DRMO/GL.

Or does the military share the range with the public?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a PUBLIC range. Don't know the policy on brass.

As per your accessibility if you have .Mil creds? I think you might need to take that up with the base commander - otherwise I have no clue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, but I was more interested in the range from the military side of things.  Looking to buy some brass from DRMO/GL.

As per your accessibility if you have .Mil creds? I think you might need to take that up with the base commander - otherwise I have no clue.

I don't need to worry about that.  If I buy brass, or bid on it, it will be shipped.  Military creds are the shipping company's problem.

I'm more interested in the range the military uses, not the public stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The ranges here don't get nearly as much use anymore.  No more units are rotating through here for big train up periods for OIF/OEF.  The base is pretty empty nowadays
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't need to worry about that.  If I buy brass, or bid on it, it will be shipped.  Military creds are the shipping company's problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The firing points at most of the ranges are primarily sandy soil, there are some concrete positions.

Most of the early response were referring solely to Range 14, which is the MWR range, open for public use.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The ranges here don't get nearly as much use anymore.  No more units are rotating through here for big train up periods for OIF/OEF.  The base is pretty empty nowadays
View Quote

Actually local NG, Marine Reserves, and Army reserves use them quite frequently when they go to the field. Also Range 15 right next door is used a qualification range for the Marines. Im talking units from all over NJ, NY, PA etc.

As far as how these ranges look. Its mostly a combination of dirt and sand and some grassy areas occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I am curious as to who runs the show over there now,  I understand that contractors have to bid on operating Range 14, some were good, most were not.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am curious as to who runs the show over there now,  I understand that contractors have to bid on operating Range 14, some were good, most were not.
View Quote

A bunch of kids run it now with some guy in his 50's being the head honcho. Believe me, its alot better than it used to be. None of those older guys who ran it are around anymore, especially the ones that were there when Fishpaw brought his 1919.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess I'm confused as to what information you're looking for. There are a shitload of ranges (like 50+) in R-5001, the one you were referencing in your OP was Range 14, the public range ran by the 87 FSS. There are plenty of .mil dudes who shoot on the range, but not as part of unit training - just on their own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A bunch of kids run it now with some guy in his 50's being the head honcho. Believe me, its alot better than it used to be. None of those older guys who ran it are around anymore, especially the ones that were there when Fishpaw brought his 1919.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's good to know, Range 14 has always been a good meet/shooting place for many here, perhaps we ( old timers ) could
end our boycott if , only if the operators would have us for a group shoot for once a year to start, re-build ties so to speak.

I understand it is futile to re-live what we had before as many that used to go there are now out of state, but new Friendships can be forged.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I'm confused as to what information you're looking for. There are a shitload of ranges (like 50+) in R-5001, the one you were referencing in your OP was Range 14, the public range ran by the 87 FSS. There are plenty of .mil dudes who shoot on the range, but not as part of unit training - just on their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm specifically interested in knowing range conditions only the military has access to for qualifying/practice.  I don't know what R-5001 is.  My OP did not specify any range.  I asked about the range at Fort Dix.  Being from IL, I had no idea there was any public range available, and as such, I was only interested in knowing conditions of what the military uses.  I do believe that answer has been given.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm specifically interested in knowing range conditions only the military has access to for qualifying/practice.  I don't know what R-5001 is.  My OP did not specify any range.  I asked about the range at Fort Dix.  Being from IL, I had no idea there was any public range available, and as such, I was only interested in knowing conditions of what the military uses.  I do believe that answer has been given.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point, you didn't specify a range and there are 50+ ranges here, hence my confusion. They are pretty much all sand though. If you pull up Google Earth and look at the spot between the McGuire airfield and Lakehurst airfield you can see all the yellow patches, and those are the ranges.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know what type of shooting range Fort Dix has?  I'm assuming it's outdoor for rifle.  
View Quote

this is the 'public' site at Range 14, as of about 7 years ago when i was last there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

this is the 'public' site at Range 14, as of about 7 years ago when i was last there.

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ftdix/DSCN2413.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ftdix/DSCN2405.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ftdix/DSCN2413.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ftdix/DSCN2405.JPG

And it looks completely different now lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top