Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 11:03:44 PM EDT
There's a chance I'll transfer to NJ for work.   Can I bring a bunch of stripped AR15 lowers with me?  Anything I would need to do paperwork-wise when I get there?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can.  However, you should treat them as a firearm.  Meaning:

- Transport them directly to your new place of residence.  That means, do not stop on the way to your new place to pick up curtain rods and a bath mat.  Go directly to your place of residence.  You are operating under the exemption set forth in 2C:39-6e - possessing a firearm while moving from one residence to another.

- Have them in a securely fastened case, or (preferred) locked in the trunk - as specified in 2C:39-6g.

- Once in your residence, leave them there - do not transport them anywhere else, until and unless you apply for and receive a NJ Firearms ID card.  Without an FID, you are somewhat limited in where you can transport them.  Since they're just lowers, I doubt you'd be taking them to a range (which is a legal destination for a firearm, even without an FID card).  You can transport them to a place of repair, for the purpose of repair - but that doesn't mean driving over to your buddy's because his dad was a TV repairman and has an awesome set of tools  

ETA:  forgot about the paperwork question.  No, there is nothing you need to do.  NJ does have a VOLUNTARY firearms registration....  keyword being VOLUNTARY.  It's not required, and is just about pointless.  Again, I would suggest that if you're planning on staying any length of time, you first establish residency, then go to your local PD and submit an application for a Firearms ID card.  It will be a major pain in the nether regions, compared to what you're used to - but it is what it is.  Again, it is not REQUIRED to simply possess firearms (assembled or not) in your home.  We can get in to that more if/when you actually move into this state.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a thought, are they marked specifically  AR15? If so aren't they falling under the named assault weapon ban?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everybody!  Especially Tom488 for such detailed guidance.

And to clarify, I was using "AR15" in general.  They are NOT Colt lowers specifically marked AR15 which I believe are specifically prohibited as named assault rifles.

However I think I'll need to swap out the lower on one of my Colt AR's that's labeled "Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine".  (as well as be sure it has a fixed stock, bayo lug cut off and a comp pinned).   Yes?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
However I think I'll need to swap out the lower on one of my Colt AR's that's labeled "Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine".  (as well as be sure it has a fixed stock, bayo lug cut off and a comp pinned).   Yes?
View Quote

Correct. Anything with " Colt AR-15" on the lower is contraband.

Newer colt models marked "Law Enforcement Carbine", "Match Target", or "M4 Carbine" however are legal. As well as the myriad of other companies making lowers.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, another question........

The Assault Rifle list says "Bushmaster Assault Rifle".   Does that mean my Bushmaster AR lowers marked Mod. XM15-E2S are automatically classified as Assault Weapons and prohibited?

Thanks again everybody!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Assault Rifle list says "Bushmaster Assault Rifle".   Does that mean my Bushmaster AR lowers marked Mod. XM15-E2S are automatically classified as Assault Weapons and prohibited?
View Quote

Nope - your XM15-E2S's are just fine.  They're sold in just about every gun shop here in the state.  The "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" was an older, AK-looking rifle - similar to an AR-180.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Once again, thank you for the solid answers.  Pleasantly surprised for a change.

Now, this next question will show I've been staring at all the laws waaaayyy to long.  In fact I'm hoping I even make sense in how I ask it....

How do the laws fit an AR based weapon that has no butt stock (so not a rifle), a forward grip mounted to hand guard, and has an overall length > 26in?   Such as an AR based firearm with a pistol buffer tube and an 11'ish inch barrel (which I believe puts total overall length a bit over 26in).   Per ATF letters to Franklin Armory in 2011 it's not considered a pistol by the ATF because it wouldn't have been designed for one hand use, and its not an AOW needing NFA registration because it's > 26in in length.   They asked these questions from the standpoint of ascertaining it was OK to attach a vertical fore grip to a couple of models of AR type firearms they make.

I'm wondering how those rulings do (or don't) factor into the NJ Assault Firearm 'substantially identical' concept since that only addresses rifles and pistols...which the class of AR variants I described wouldn't be either of per the ATF......if I'm interpreting things right.  So if they aren't on the specific list, and aren't rifles nor pistols to where the 'substantially identical' explanation applies, are they OK and free to have lots of evil features?   Or is this 'loophole' closed by something else in the laws, or closed because of some more common interpretation of 'substantially identical'?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
That's really splitting hairs - as you're relying on the fact that the firearm in question would not be considered a rifle because, having no buttstock, it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

While you're most likely technically correct - I would strongly recommend against such a configuration here in NJ.  It's along the same lines of the California-style "bullet button".  The argument there is that the bullet button makes the magazine non-detachable, and therefore nullifies all other "evil feature" requirements.  No one's ever tried to implement one here in NJ, and my argument against them has always been, "do you think a jury, after watching a prosecution witness demonstrate a magazine dropping free of the receiver after actuating the bullet button with the tip of his pen, would consider said magazine 'detachable'?  If so, you're going to prison.".

The same applies here...  the prosecutor holds up the scary-looking rifle, minus a buttstock.  In the eyes of every single member of that jury (that's made it through voir dire , that is), it's an assault rifle, and you're guilty.

I know the above can be applied to just about any aspect of firearms ownership here in NJ...  I know.  It's just that, to me, that's far too fine a line to try and hang your freedom on - even if, by the strict letter of the law, it may not even be illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top