Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
I have a two year old Bouvier who weighs 115 lb ,  I am researching a raw diet for him and thought this would be a good place to ask.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have dogs. We breed and show rottweilers. Have been exclusive rottweilers for the past 20-25 years. I've fed everything under the sun including RAW at one time or another. The only reason I've fed RAW is because I have a picky eater that I'm showing. Typically intact males will go off their food for a time when bitches are in heat. That can cause quite a bit of weight loss which is not great when you are showing the dog. Sometimes RAW food or tripe will help. Even though I do know a lot of people that do, I do not feed RAW exclusively for several reasons.

First, I do a lot of traveling with the dogs. Keeping raw food on the road and especially in summer months if a severe pain. Secondly, you really have to be careful and train a dog to eat raw, especially the bones. Bones can be dangerous if not administered correctly. But most important is probably the reason that I'm not a nutritionist. I know what good ingredients are, but I do not know and 100% believe that I cannot give my dog the correctly balanced diet that they require. The big food companies, even though they are in it to make a buck (who's not?) have a lot more science and experience to back their formulas than I do.  

If you really want to try RAW, look into foods like BRAVO RAW Diet. Good stuff.

Read what you can find. There isn't a lack of information and opinion on the subject. If you are really interested I can probably find some people for you to chat with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top