Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 3:41:27 PM EDT
So Title 39 disallows tint on front passenger and driver windows.

I've notice a lot more LEA's tinting all of the windows in their patrol cars, including NJSP.

I asked a local LEA what the reason behind theirs was and they replied basically saying it's used to protect private/sensitive info on the CJIS (MDT's) in their vehicles.

So is there an official exemption for LE regarding tinted windows in NJ? I think the MDT excuse is BS, and it's just LEO's wanting privacy and/or another barrier between them and the public, but WTF do I know...

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So you can't see them on Facebook with their laptops, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
no it's not legal. You COULD sign a complaint....but probably not a bright idea
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]

I used to get pulled over for that all the time. I got tired of it and just pulled the tint.

Now I'm older, 47 and I run tint on both my convertables.... No issues.

What gives ? IDK.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had an issue in the past even when pulled over for moving violations, every LEO I have encountered did not give a shit, on the other hand,
I was never successful in getting through motor vehicle inspection. I don't even bother tinting my windows anymore.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never had an issue in the past even when pulled over for moving violations, every LEO I have encountered did not give a shit, on the other hand,
I was never successful in getting through motor vehicle inspection. I don't even bother tinting my windows anymore.
View Quote

Nowadays you shouldn't be flagged for tint and the DMV, they are only supposed to check emissions.

OP, not only do they not care if there is an exemption for a LEA, they also don't care as long as you know the right people. Almost every car I've seen with one of those "get out of jail" shields in the windshield also has full tint on the front windows. We're not in their class, get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
There really is not a law against TINT. The statute mostly written is either the non-DOT statute or the safety glass statute, which neither apply. When I was an LEO with tinted windows, DMV Inspection said that I had to have approval on departmental letterhead from the fleet officer saying it was needed. So I typed the letter, signed it, and gave it to DMV to get a sticker. I was the Fleet Officer. LOL
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a legal exemption for LE vehicles, and per the NJDMV Commissioner, it falls under NJAC 13:20-33.7(d).  The NJMVC has a written policy for LE agencies and any vehicle with a government plate is exempt.  Its all buried in admin and legalease with municipality and state lawyers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Comply Citizen.... Haha
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a legal exemption for LE vehicles, and per the NJDMV Commissioner, it falls under NJAC 13:20-33.7(d).  The NJMVC has a written policy for LE agencies and any vehicle with a government plate is exempt.  Its all buried in admin and legalease with municipality and state lawyers.
View Quote

So I guess that would be this part...

"(d) A motor vehicle, other than a police vehicle Or a motor vehicle for which a medical exemption certificate has been issued by the Division in accordance with N.J.S.A. 39:375.1 et seq., shall not be certified which has tinted spray or plastic material added to previously approved glazing in the front windsheld or windows, vents, wings, deflectors, or side shields to the immediate right or left of the driver, because such condition changes the vision and light transmission properties of the glazing in areas where driver visibility shall not be obscured or obstructed; provided, however, tinted spray or plastic material may be applied to previously approved glazing in the front windshield if such spray or material extends no lower than six inches from the top of the front windshield or such spray or material does not extend below the AS-1 marking on the front windshield. "

Goddamnit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"(d) A motor vehicle, other than a police vehicle Or a motor vehicle for which a medical exemption certificate has been issued by the Division in accordance with N.J.S.A. 39:375.1 et seq., shall not be certified which has tinted spray or plastic material added to previously approved glazing in the front windsheld or windows, vents, wings, deflectors, or side shields to the immediate right or left of the driver, because such condition changes the vision and light transmission properties of the glazing in areas where driver visibility shall not be obscured or obstructed; provided, however, tinted spray or plastic material may be applied to previously approved glazing in the front windshield if such spray or material extends no lower than six inches from the top of the front windshield or such spray or material does not extend below the AS-1 marking on the front windshield. "

Goddamnit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goddamnit.

For what it's worth, this simply states a vehicle with tint on the front door glass shall not be certified.......which is state speak for passing inspection and receiving a sticker.....and as they no longer perform safety inspections on vehicles, only emission testing, then i would simply roll the windows down and go on a nice sunny day and if they put the windows up and fail the vehicle, first they would have to document the cause of failure(for an emissions test) as being something completely not related to the inspection process. Second, I would take it up with whatever necessary path is needed to get the vehicle passed on the grounds they should never have even looked at the glass.
now if you get stopped by LEO, I'm sure they can find something in the code to cite you for, but it won't be safety or inspection related...and I am a former state licensed vehicle inspector so if you brought it to me for inspection, with tinted glass, and the windows up, I wouldn't give it a second thought as i could loose my inspector;s license and get fined upwards of $5000 if I failed it for that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, this simply states a vehicle with tint on the front door glass shall not be certified.......which is state speak for passing inspection and receiving a sticker.....and as they no longer perform safety inspections on vehicles, only emission testing, then i would simply roll the windows down and go on a nice sunny day and if they put the windows up and fail the vehicle, first they would have to document the cause of failure(for an emissions test) as being something completely not related to the inspection process. Second, I would take it up with whatever necessary path is needed to get the vehicle passed on the grounds they should never have even looked at the glass.
now if you get stopped by LEO, I'm sure they can find something in the code to cite you for, but it won't be safety or inspection related...and I am a former state licensed vehicle inspector so if you brought it to me for inspection, with tinted glass, and the windows up, I wouldn't give it a second thought as i could loose my inspector;s license and get fined upwards of $5000 if I failed it for that.
View Quote

Before everyone runs out to get tint, it's probably also important to note that once Christie is out, two things you can be sure of happening are a 10 round cap and the return of full inspections. Unions gotta union.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Before everyone runs out to get tint, it's probably also important to note that once Christie is out, two things you can be sure of happening are a 10 round cap and the return of full inspections. Unions gotta union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to see what the statute was on my $54 citation next time I'm home. They don't give a damn at the MVC. They don't even care if you are missing a front license plate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
They don't give a damn now, but once those full inspections are back you won't be able to get a sticker with tint. I'm not sure if you remember the full inspections, but I saw a guy get flunked for a wiper blade being "old." The DMV loves that stuff. The first few years after they switched to the emissions only tests, those inspection guys were hysterical. They were still putting all the cars through all the tests even though they couldn't fail you for it. It was almost sad.

eta: I'm certainly curious about what statute they put on your ticket. Please post up when you check.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have tinted drivers and pas. side windows. Not limo tint, but pretty dark, on a white car. I have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
eta: I'm certainly curious about what statute they put on your ticket. Please post up when you check.
View Quote

39:3-75 Safety Glass

The term "safety glass" shall be construed as meaning glass so treated or combined with other materials as to reduce, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from exterior sources or by glass when the glass is cracked or broken. The term "safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning "safety glass" ; or other glazing materials, such as plastics, produced for the purpose of safety in glazing; or a combination of safety glass and other safety glazing material. The term "approved safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning safety glazing material of a type approved by the director. In the approving of safety glazing materials, the director is hereby given authority to make use of recognized standards to confine the use of certain types of safety glazing materials to a specific location in or on the vehicle, or to a certain purpose.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle manufactured on or after July first, nineteen hundred and thirty-five and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with approved safety glazing material wherever glazing is used in doors, windows and windshields. The term "windshield" shall be construed to include wings, deflectors and side shields; also front corner lights adjoining windshields.

Every section of safety glazing material shall be legibly and permanently marked with the manufacturers' distinctive designations, under which the safety glazing material was approved, so as to be visible when installed.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with safety glazing material which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility or equipped with unduly fractured, discolored or deteriorated safety glazing material, and the director may revoke the registration of any such vehicle.

Does tint film qualify as glazing material?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The term "safety glass" shall be construed as meaning glass so treated or combined with other materials as to reduce, in comparison with ordinary sheet glass or plate glass, the likelihood of injury to persons by objects from exterior sources or by glass when the glass is cracked or broken. The term "safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning "safety glass" ; or other glazing materials, such as plastics, produced for the purpose of safety in glazing; or a combination of safety glass and other safety glazing material. The term "approved safety glazing material" shall be construed as meaning safety glazing material of a type approved by the director. In the approving of safety glazing materials, the director is hereby given authority to make use of recognized standards to confine the use of certain types of safety glazing materials to a specific location in or on the vehicle, or to a certain purpose.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle manufactured on or after July first, nineteen hundred and thirty-five and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with approved safety glazing material wherever glazing is used in doors, windows and windshields. The term "windshield" shall be construed to include wings, deflectors and side shields; also front corner lights adjoining windshields.

Every section of safety glazing material shall be legibly and permanently marked with the manufacturers' distinctive designations, under which the safety glazing material was approved, so as to be visible when installed.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with safety glazing material which causes undue or unsafe distortion of visibility or equipped with unduly fractured, discolored or deteriorated safety glazing material, and the director may revoke the registration of any such vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. A reasonable person would not think this statute applies at all to tint. I guess the fine is just low enough so as to make it not worth your while to go fight it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow. A reasonable person would not think this statute applies at all to tint. I guess the fine is just low enough so as to make it not worth your while to go fight it?
View Quote

Yes, I think most people would read that and be left scratching their heads. Between $54 and the overall ambiguity of the statute, I don't think it's worth going to court over. It seems like the language is so open to interpretation that it would be pointless to try and make a case against.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top