Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
Accidentally got this guy in our driveway the other day.

Anybody able to ID? It was a little over 2' long. I've only ever seen Garter's and Ringnecks up here (Sussex).

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a Brown Snake to me.Here

EDIT : Seems to big to be a Brown though.... Have any lakes or streams around ? Might be a Water Snake
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The poster on my wall says water snake.

ETA: there was a flattened one in front of my job yesterday too.  Damn shame.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Right next to a pond. Makes sense I guess. I looked at the brown snake too, but it looked too small. The water snake looks about right.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't there a NJ mud river, lives in the swamp snake? We have them here and they are aggressive
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Which assembly district was it elected in?
I'll have to send a condolence card!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which assembly district was it elected in?
I'll have to send a condolence card!
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a water snake don't feel bad OP... Yesterday someone ran over an adult yellow rat snake. Didn't kill it only the back half. I finished it off. It ruined my night..;
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't there a NJ mud river, lives in the swamp snake? We have them here and they are aggressive
View Quote

That's a water snake.  Fast and aggressive.  Often mistaken for a venomous snake.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a small property in the Catskills and in the last few years I have been seeing this type of snake, they all are about 12 inches long. I have been looking for the parents before they find me or one of my dogs.  I have a snake trap ready to deploy with the intent of taking it FAR away.

I have done some research and this species is not found in the area, however five years ago I had 12 pallets of rocks brought in from neighboring Pa. and there must have been a pregnant  female in one of them.   The other possibility for this type of snake to have found its way to the area could be via the Parks Management Agency, they are known to re-introduce certain types of critters with no warning to the public.

I am pretty sure they are rattlers.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
yes, they re-introduced bears, rattlesnakes and wolf-coyotes.... next they are bring great whites to the beach
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone here confirm that this is indeed a rattle snake?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
nope no rattles, just a water snake
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
At 12 inches I'd guess juvenile glossy water snake.  I freed one from a glue trap last year.

I know you're not a herpatologist, but in general rattlesnakes have, you know, rattles

FYI no American pit vipers have round pupils, they all have slit pupils like a cat does.  Unless it's a coral snake you can rest assure that any snake in USA with round pupils is harmless.

ETA: I'm wrong

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top