Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2011 5:48:41 PM EDT
I hope I am not stepping on RW3 or totalabuse's toes on this as I know they were discussing wheeling in Wharton at the wings and beers get together the other night.  However, Wastegate and I were already planning on going wheeling in Wharton on August 21st, and I thought I would take this opportunity to invite anyone from the forum to join us if they want to.

Meet us at Atsion ranger station,  713-723 U.S. 206, Vincentown, NJ 08088, N 39° 44.515 W 074° 43.555, at 9:30am Sunday August 21st.  Bring lunch, and/or snacks and drinks (no alcohol per state forest rules).  Please either post in this thread or IM me if you are planning on coming so I have some idea of how many we will have.

I don't plan on anything extreme, but depending on the weather be prepared for water crossings/deep puddles (the worst have go arounds, but many don't), and possible scratches from foliage on narrow trails (we are going to try to avoid this as Wastegate's truck is brand new but no guarantees).  Plan on most or all of the day.  If people want to we can grab dinner afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Have to see how my Jeep is running, but a possible
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Soooo a camelback full of everclear is out of the question?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Soooo a camelback full of everclear is out of the question?

Well it would make good video if you drove into a tree or something funny, but it would suck if you hit someone else, so I guess it would be a bad idea

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
if i can make it, ill bring this

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if i can make it, ill bring this

That would be very cool.  Some of those narrow trails wouldn't be that narrow anymore after you went through
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If I can get the trans fixed and installed by then, I'm in. My self proclaimed AX15 expert buddy wont be back until 8/15. We found one issue before he left but considering the trans is already on the bench he would like to do a full take down.

That video looks like is the center lane on mount jemima, definitely the bunny trail of the big three. Still can get hairy especially going down.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Which one is considered the hardest on jemima?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't work that day, but family will be in town... I'll definitely try to make it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which one is considered the hardest on jemima?

Last time I was there, all of them It was raining hard and had been for a couple of days. I tried the center lane and didn't get to far, just rutted it out.
Jemima is ever changing but for the past few months I see it as this....Looking from the bottom the left lane seems the easiest until you get about thirty feet from the top. It's got some gnarly ruts, I wouldn't even attempt the left lane because of them. The center lane is a lot of fun, I've seen stock jeeps get up it. It's the confidence builder track. The right lane is a workout from beginning to end. I've made it up with the help of a spotter and I'm still working up the balls on taking it down. All this can change with one truck and some monster tires so...YMMV. Jemima is the biggest thing around here and Joel is quite correct when he states that it is much steeper than the video shows. There's a place in Lacey I believe they call it "the top of the world". It's pretty fucked up, the steepness reminds me of Lakewood pit twentysomething years ago. I think that I can find it if you wanna go

I base this on not knowing very much, I've been off the trail for five years and never considered myself "hardcore" when it comes to wheeling. I'm also running a carburated vehicle on 33's without lockers...for now

ETA. After looking at the FJ1 video it seems that I'm forgetting a trail. Joel, is that immediate left of center? The left side trail I'm talking about is further over, almost by it self
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Totalabuse, you are right in saying Jemima is ever changing depending on erosion and guys tearing it up with lots of wheelspin.

Right now I would say there are 4 trails up.  One way off to the left by itself, which used to be bad at the top but is now pretty easy, and 3 on the front face of the hill.  The ones on the right and left are moderate, and the one up the center (in the video) is the hardest and needs a locker/or electronic traction control (at least as of 3 or 4 weeks ago).  I was surprised how much the center hill had changed due to erosion.  I was on 3 wheels almost the whole way up.  

We just checked out top of the world Sunday.  It was interesting, but I am thinking of another similar area over by Buckeye for the end of the day as it has hills, gullys, a big water pit, and lots of space for everyone to hang out, bullshit, and play around.  I really don't want to make this too hard, as I would like anyone who wants to come out to feel welcome and have fun regardless of what they drive.  Wives/girlfriends are also welcome.  If mine is free she will come along and take pictures. HERE are some she took back in February.

I wouldn't consider myself "hardcore" by any means either.  I am running a 08 FJ with 33s, a factory rear locker, and it is my daily driver so I REALLY don't want to get the interior wet
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I will come out and play if I can get free...
My boys want to do some wheeling...

RW3
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd love to come out for something like this, but I doubt I'll get to make it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Put me down as a possible too.  Bone stock '98 Cherokee, hope I can hang.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Put me down as a possible too.  Bone stock '98 Cherokee, hope I can hang.

You should have no problems. The great thing about Wharton is that it is as aggressive as you wanna make it. There are trails that will fit three vehicale abreast and others that will give the smallest ride some piney pin striping.

One thing I'd like to make everyone aware of...From the top of Jemima to my front door is about a fifteen minute ride. So if anyone does have a melt down it ain't no thing towing it to my place. You will have a safe place to work on it or store until you make arrangements to get it home. You will not be stuck in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#15]
For a small storage fee donation of course.

What is it you like to drink again?

RW3
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#16]
OK...

What's the line up.

Who can make it to this "drive through the pines" Sunday August 21st.

Rain or shine I presume.  

I will be there.

RW3

JoelK, sent you a PM
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#17]
PM replied to.

I will be there rain or shine and with all of the recent rain  there will be plenty of water either way.

So far the only definites are you, Wastegate, a friend of mine who is not on the board, and myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Transmission is fixed, hope to install tomorrow night or first thing Sunday morning. In any event I wont make the meeting point but if one of you wants to pm me your cell number, I'm meet up with y'all later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
PM sent
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Catch all of you tomorrow. Hope some of the others that were on this thread can make it as well.

See ya all tomorrow...

RW3
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll be there in a blue, stock Jeep Wrangler.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 2:39:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll be there in a blue, stock Jeep Wrangler.

Just look for two Toyota FJs, one silver and one green.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for coming out guys.  I would say it was a pretty good day

Here are a couple of videos.  If anyone else has any pics or videos feel free to post.
A puddle early in the day.

Climbing some hills a little later.

We will have to do this again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Had great time, was a pleasure meeting all that were there. Many thanks to JoelK.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Good time guys.

Lets do it again some time.

RW3
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#26]
My new favorite pic taken by one of the attendees
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Top Top