Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 10:22:43 AM EDT
All,

Any tips on areas or zones for over-the-counter spring turkey hunting?

I've never gone in NM before and was hoping to find something close by to ABQ. Looks like unit 14 (east of town, south of I-40) is available for OTC hunting but is archery only.

I've heard that around Mt. Taylor is a decent place within driving distance.

Anyone else going hunting this spring or just want to offer up some advice?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Turkey hunting around Mt. Taylor isn't too bad.  The best I have found is in unit 10.  I have always bagged a bird on the first day there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a lot of turkeys here in NM.  Assuming you are talking Merriam's turkeys, unit 6 and 51 both have good numbers.  Have you hunted Merriam's before?  They are talkative.  Find an area and go out after dark.  Rip a set of yelps out on your loudest call.  If something doesn't gobble back, they aren't there.  But just because they gobble at you in the morning after fly down doesn't mean they are coming your way.  They will still yell at you, even as they are walking off.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advice, all. Sounds like I have to drive if I want to find any decent areas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
There are some Rio Grande Turkeys along the river south of Albuquerque.  Not far to go.  But accessing the areas that won't be swarmed with other hunters take a little more effort.  I prefer to head up into the mountains for Merriam's.  I have an opportunity to access private property for Rio Grande Turkeys later this season, but will spend most of my time in the mountains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top