Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2016 9:53:50 PM EDT
I may be moving out there sometime early next year, and I'd like to know a bit about what it's like. What are some good areas around the city, average home prices, crime rate, good spots to go shoot etc...

Me: No kids, single guy, master gunsmith looking for a job in that field.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Los Alamos is fairly quiet. Great access to the outdoors and all that come with that in Norhter NM. Great fishing around here. I would say 95% of the people in LA are affiliated or have at one time been affiliated with the lab. Lowest property taxes in the state (so I've heard). Not many restaurants, but a few good ones. Anything specific you're interested in?

ETA it would be awesome to have an arfcommer gunsmith/FFL around here
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Los Alamos is fairly quiet. Great access to the outdoors and all that come with that in Norhter NM. Great fishing around here. I would say 95% of the people in LA are affiliated or have at one time been affiliated with the lab. Lowest property taxes in the state (so I've heard). Not many restaurants, but a few good ones. Anything specific you're interested in?

View Quote

The dad of a buddy of mine I was in the mil with is a security chief at one of the labs there.

Well  would it be better to rent or buy a place? I looked a bit on line at the home prices, and $400K is a lot of cash for a 2000sf home (I'm from NY originally, and a place that size is maybe half that). What areas should I avoid if I do move there? How many gunsmiths/ shops are there in the area?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The dad of a buddy of mine I was in the mil with is a security chief at one of the labs there.

Well  would it be better to rent or buy a place? I looked a bit on line at the home prices, and $400K is a lot of cash for a 2000sf home (I'm from NY originally, and a place that size is maybe half that). What areas should I avoid if I do move there? How many gunsmiths/ shops are there in the area?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently the lab is in a hiring spree, so it's tough to find good houses because they get snatched quick and the apartments in LA have a long wait. Espaniola is where many people who don't want to pay much for housing live, but it has some pretty rough areas, especially if you're not Hispanic. White rock is 10 min down the hill from LA and very nice, but even quieter than LA. Santa Fe has 1 decent gun shop, probably have a smith there, but never asked. LA used to, but now I think has 1 super expensive class 3 apt only type place and a few home FFLs. There are a lot of shooters at the lab, but not sure enough to sustain a decent shop in town. The private range in LA is very nice and I love shooting there. 3 pistol pits, indoor pistol range for winter, trap, skeet, 5 stand, and 300 yd rifle range down in a picturesque canyon.

You can find decent houses for around 300, less if you're willing to do a lot of remodeling. In Santa Fe, it's tougher. The south side is cheaper, but a long drive if you want to be in LA. North side where I rent is full of million dollar houses sitting on the market for months and years. Many people rent while continuously looking and take the first thing that passes their requirements.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Currently the lab is in a hiring spree, so it's tough to find good houses because they get snatched quick and the apartments in LA have a long wait. Espaniola is where many people who don't want to pay much for housing live, but it has some pretty rough areas, especially if you're not Hispanic. White rock is 10 min down the hill from LA and very nice, but even quieter than LA. Santa Fe has 1 decent gun shop, probably have a smith there, but never asked. LA used to, but now I think has 1 super expensive class 3 apt only type place and a few home FFLs. There are a lot of shooters at the lab, but not sure enough to sustain a decent shop in town. The private range in LA is very nice and I love shooting there. 3 pistol pits, indoor pistol range for winter, trap, skeet, 5 stand, and 300 yd rifle range down in a picturesque canyon.

You can find decent houses for around 300, less if you're willing to do a lot of remodeling. In Santa Fe, it's tougher. The south side is cheaper, but a long drive if you want to be in LA. North side where I rent is full of million dollar houses sitting on the market for months and years. Many people rent while continuously looking and take the first thing that passes their requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. I'm guessing it'd be a bit cheaper out in the country a bit. Whats it like in Pojoaque?

There's a trailer park out on East Jemez road (2025 if you wan a reference for google). I've never been a fan of trailer parks. Too many damn people and not thick enough doors.... any idea if that'd be a place thats g2g or not?

Never mind. It's in elk ridge. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cool. I'm guessing it'd be a bit cheaper out in the country a bit. Whats it like in Pojoaque?

There's a trailer park out on East Jemez road (2025 if you wan a reference for google). I've never been a fan of trailer parks. Too many damn people and not thick enough doors.... any idea if that'd be a place thats g2g or not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pojaque is nice. The only issue when you get near tribal land like that is the water rights. Usually you get like a 99 year lease or something and you'll have issues if the well dries up. Just something you have to consider. I know some people who moved to a small farm there and they like it, but it's more expensive than expected and usually you're going to be fixing up the house no matter what. They've had some issues with petty burglary there too, but I don't know how much is them being stupid or if it's a serious problem there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hiring spree? Hmmm.  Have been thinking about applying there. Might have to check it out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hiring spree? Hmmm.  Have been thinking about applying there. Might have to check it out.
View Quote

35% of the lab will retire within 5 years. If you want to get in, there is no better time. What field? Feel free to PM. Only somewhat unnerving thing is the operational contract goes out for bid soon. There will be a new operator by fall 2017. Most likely Lockheed Martin.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I just go an offer to work at the lab.  Looking for housing now and to buy in 12 months if all goes well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking to get in to the lab along with pretty much every other engineer and scientist I know that just graduated. It's a huge employer for that part of the state.

I can't comment on Los Alamos specifically too much; it is a gorgeous place, but it's also a pretty small town. It's pretty close to Santa Fe though, which is a fun little town although on the expensive side in many places. If you're into the outdoors, 4 wheeling, shooting, snow sports,  etc...the whole of Northern NM is like a giant play ground. Really all of NM is like a giant playground in my eyes
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
LA has no crime that I know of.  Hoping to get a job at the lanl armory?  

My house cost me 206K, its small but I have a good sized garage.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

35% of the lab will retire within 5 years. If you want to get in, there is no better time. What field? Feel free to PM. Only somewhat unnerving thing is the operational contract goes out for bid soon. There will be a new operator by fall 2017. Most likely Lockheed Martin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only been here a couple years but I'm staying. We just need a NFA ffl up here that wont rob me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
If I worked daily at the labs and didn't find what I wanted in Los Alamos or White Rock, I would head west and look for something at the top of 4. Some will say 'it's too far to drive'. Not really when you look at how far it is to find non-ghetto areas to the east around the Espanola area. Most of those area are going to be far to the north, north east, and then closer in to Santa Fe. You'll have to call in a couple of times during the winter if the highway gets blasted with snow and closes (that or just make the southern loop). But it's a much more beautiful area, is surrounded by outdoor activities, and farther from the meth-heads in Espanola.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top