Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2015 5:38:00 PM EDT
Are they truly protected against shooting? Or can you shoot one that is ripping up your crops? Does New Mexico have a year-round crow season?

My wife unit just about had kittens a few days ago when something with crow-like footprints took out part of her garden. It only ate some brand-new shoots, not the well-developed fruits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
lol I wish I could let my "predators" out into the yard, but they'd get et by one of the raptors in the area, or jump the fence into a coyote's mouth.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe they are protected, but iirc there are circumstances that will allow you to shoot them.
Crop damage, livestock damage, even shade tree damage.

I would contact the local game and fish office so you will get the best advice.

You could always ask yippy if you could borrow his feline bird killing machine for the weekend.
View Quote

Too many doves for him to catch right now, so no rentals at this time.

I was told they aren't crow, but ravens, several years ago.  This was told to me by the game warden who caught my brother and I shooting them out on the West mesa.  We were lucky, no fine or shotguns confiscated.  Being humble and showing respect to his authoritay went a long way.

Any animal, bird, etc., damaging your crops may be dispatched by you legally.  I've found the best way to get rid of these asshole birds is to purchase a couple of the large wooden, spring loaded rat traps.  Tie a chunk of meat to the triggers and set them out where they can be seen.  Keep your dogs and cats away while they are set.  You may catch stray animals, but that's part of life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Any animal, bird, etc., damaging your crops may be dispatched by you legally.
View Quote

Does that include private crops (i.e. my garden plot), or only commercial crops?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does that include private crops (i.e. my garden plot), or only commercial crops?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any animal, bird, etc., damaging your crops may be dispatched by you legally.

A crop is a crop is a crop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rat traps!
Great idea

We are going to need some pics, or at least an aar
View Quote

My granddad showed me the trick.  Kills 'em dead.  Of course, he lost quite a few chickens after he showed me this one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Hear it works on squirrels as well.  Paint them black attach to a tree and used Peanut Butter as bait.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top