Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 3:13:30 PM EDT
I may get lucky and get a job offer in Albuquerque.   I would need an apartment or condo and need to know the areas.  

Above all, I want a safe neighborhood.  The place needs to be clean and decent.

Where is a safe place?  What is the going rate for a 1 bedroom apartment or furnished condo?  

Are there any reputable rental agencies I could contact to find a furnished place?  I'll buy my own mattress and bedding.

I'd like to ride my bicycle to work, so I want to stay within a few miles of the place.  It is in the south-east corner of Albuquerque (near Kirtland AFB).

How is rush hour traffic on the local streets?

What else do I need to know?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow!

69 reads and no responses?  What did I do wrong?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing.

Give it some time. This is the land of manana.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Need moar details.  Is this a permanent job or just a 6 month gig?  What is your price range?  Where on Kirtland AFB (base is huge) are you working?  Just you or you plus wife / kids, ect?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for places in the NE heights.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
SE is where most of the shooting takes place I wouldn't live anywhere near there and definitely not ride a bike around there
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SE is where most of the shooting takes place I wouldn't live anywhere near there and definitely not ride a bike around there
View Quote

Yup. They call it the "war zone" for a reason. But Kirtland AFB is located in the SE part of Albuquerque, so if you choose to live off-base, make sure you live far away from the base.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is EXACTLY the kind of info I am after.

How about the Sandia Heights area?  How about Tijeras and Cedar Heights, off to the east?

I am searching around using Zillow and Google Earth.  I've learned a lot about prices and availability but can tell nothing about the safety or demographics,... maybe it is called crime rate statistics.  I don't know the proper term for it but if you asked me where to live around here, I could be very specific in my responses because I know this area.  I know absolutely ZERO about Albuquerque.

How is the area surrounding the University?  Sometimes, there is a little buffer zone of niceness around a University, even if it is in the middle of Hell.  The University of Southern California is a notable exception to this.  Being near there might help, too, as I plan to attend the University while there.  

Which reminds me, I need to check their course offerings for this Fall and pick an interesting one.    

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Around UNM is fine, once you pass Nob Hill going east on Central you're in the war zone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the information offered.  If you think of anything else, please post or IM me.  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
As part of my research into this, I found a web site that maps (overlays) the crimes committed with their locations.  The data comes from the Police Department.  What was interesting was the lack of a pattern - everywhere had about the same frequency of crimes and about the same types of crime.  The north-east corner of the City was as bad as the south-east.

If there was anything that stood out, it was the higher crime rates near UNM, especially the south west edge of the campus.  Then, slightly farter south from there, near the river, there was none, absolutely none.  It is either a gang-controlled area or there's no stats reporting for that area.

There appears to be a gentrified area (newer housing) in the north-west.  It also had a similar share of crimes.

I will try sorting the data to see of a pattern develops but for now, they all look the same.

Certainly, the areas differ in the types and age of the housing offered.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a link to the crime statistics mapping.  

I filtered my version to show only violent crimes, not crimes against property.  This filtering highlights what you folks are saying about the murder rate in SE (really southern) Albuquerque.

Now, just for fun, and to prove I'm not picking on people from Albuquerque, I did a similar mapping for downtown Los Angeles.  WOW!

Link to Crime Mapping
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Does a different police agency cover Los Ranchos de Albuquerque?  It seems that either there is no data reported for that area (likely a different agency) or there is no violent crime there (less likely).
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Look for apartments off Tramway for starters.  Many years ago I lived at Prairie Hills apts.   Many people ride their bikes along Tramway.  Riding anywhere in and around Albuquerque is relatively dangerous, contact some riding clubs in the area to get more info.  Many people on bikes get hit and killed here.  We also have a high amount of drunk drivers.  By statistics it is a high crime city.  It has not hit me personally but I stay away from the high risk areas.  You need renters insurance for sure.  If you have guns you need something to lock them in even if it is a sheet metal locker like a stack-on.    

Wayne
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
There are some nice apartments off Eubank and Southern, across the street from Costco. For houses, check out Volterra and Four Hills.

I'd stay away from the UNM area. Mostly rentals with college kids in them.

Los Ranchos is not within the city limits. Jurisdiction there belongs to the Bernalillo County sheriff's office.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#16]
ty, that's good info.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done more looking around for an apartment and have another question - how is the "Uptown" area (near Louisiana and I-40)?  

There is a large apartment complex called "ABQ Uptown" just east of the shopping area.  It looks new and there appears to be a fairly large buffer zone around it.  The apartments are nice and the area looks nice but the question is this - is it a decent area, a safe area?

P.S. - It does seem to be a bit "too hip" but I'm primarily concerned about safety.  The CrimeMapping.com website showed mostly car thefts, not violent crimes or burglaries.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Generally speaking, its not a great area.  Lots of property crime.  Are you working on the east or west side of Kirtland?  Military assignment or more permanent position?  I assume military with the apartment comments?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]
What is your price range?

All the areas mentioned have W-I-D-E swings in price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I've already relocated but I do appreciate your offer to help.  

Before I even left home, I identified a nice place using the info on Zillow.com.  When I arrived, I drove there and applied to rent an apartment.  It costs more than I wanted to spend but it has everything I was after - safe, clean, pleasant environment, gorgeous mountains out the back door, lots of nice families with playful children making a joyful noise,... its like a permanent vacation.  

So far, this has been quite an adventure.  At times, it was stressful but I believe those times are mostly behind me now.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Let us know what area of town you are in, and we can suggest some restaurants, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let us know what area of town you are in, and we can suggest some restaurants, etc.
View Quote

You're going to have to give directions to Las Cruces if you're going to suggest good restaurants
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're going to have to give directions to Las Cruces if you're going to suggest good restaurants
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuuup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top