Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2014 4:21:55 PM EDT
Back in the day, I was stationed at Cannon and used to attend the annual pheasant hunt put on by the Pleasant Hill Fire Department in Texico which gave you access to land in Texas and NM for the hunt.  I'd buy a non-res license for TX since they had a longer season and hunted both sides of the border for the first 4 days, then hunted in TX. It was a good hunt and I shot a few birds but that was back in the mid-80s.  Just went on a Veterans sponsored pheasant hunt up in CO with another AF buddy of mine and had a good time and shot a few birds.  Now wondering if I should look into that pheasant hunt back out by Clovis since I DO love to hunt these birds...and they're great eating to boot.  Anyway, anyone know if the Pleasant Hill Fire Department is still sponsoring this hunt?  I searched on line but couldn't find any info from after around 2009.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I know this is a late reply and pheasant season is over. I'm originally from that area. I have a good buddy that farms right there by Pleasant Hill. I remember talking to him a few years back about pheasant hunting in his vicinity and on his land. Eastern New Mexico has been in record drought the last 5-6 years. He said he see's very few birds anymore.  He also mentioned the only way the Pleasant Hill FD could make that hunt worth it was to release pen raised birds.  I haven't talked to him in a few years so not entirely sure that vol FD puts on hunts anymore or not. However based on the continued drought that they have been under I truly doubt its worth attending anytime soon. I need to holler at him anyways, and when I do I will try to respond to you on this thread regarding if they still continue the hunt and if its worth travelling to. I recently got a GSP pup and I have been training him up. So I'm curious too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
windhater--Thanks for the reply.  Guess I know why I can't find any info on the PHFD hunt.  Yes, give your buddy a shout.  I ended up going up to NE Colorado with my old AF buddy who lives in Pueblo for the last 4 days of the season.  I was pleasantly surprised.  There were still a lot of birds up there, but you had to find where they were pocketed up.  I mean I saw groups of 50 or 60 birds (mostly hens but a few roosters).  We didn't shoot a lot, we got 4 total, but I did learn a lot about that part of the country as far as pheasants go.  There were a lot of left over birds so I expect if the weather is wet and no hail this spring, there will be some very good numbers up there.  I talked to another guy who had hunted quail down by Carlsbad.  The draught had been bad down that way also, but last year had some good moisture and the birds rebounded in large numbers. I was hoping that maybe the pheasants around Clovis had done the same.  I had some good hunting there back in 83-86.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top