Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 6:51:33 PM EDT
Last year I passed after hearing the poor opening day reports.  This year I am stocked and ready.  

Who else is hunting this year?

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I will definitely be hunting dove. I have a secluded secret water hole all scouted out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go within an hour or so of ABQ?

I've never hunted dove in NM before and would love to give it a shot here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm hoping to give it a try this year.  Didn't do much last year.  I used to love dove hunting but just haven't found any good place to go around the 'burque so I'm moving farther south.  I'm hoping to have one of my old Air Force buddies join me on this hunt but he received a summons for jury duty next week and he won't know if he can make it till he calls in tonight at 5:30 to find out if he's been selected.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be out again this year.  Seeing a good amount of birds.  Hope it is a great opening day for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Go looking for all my hunting stuff and I can't find my shell and bird holder. It was probably stolen when some dick broke into my Jeep. F A THIEF.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
A bunch of 'em are out here in Placitas, having a drink from my pond, talking about how just maybe they'll put off heading south for a while.

Gave it up 10 years ago or so, after popping the neck on my last cripple.

A mess of bacon wrapped dove breasts, smoked over alder wood, coolers full of beer, friends and a bunch of sides does always sound good this time of year.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody go out this morning?

Any success?

Looks like the closest public land to ABQ is open-gate land in Socorro. If anyone knows of anywhere closer to ABQ to go please let me know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I went out to Moriarity and didn't see but 36 ish birds. Only got to shoot 3 times.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a decent day. Only the kid that was with us didn't limit out.
It took a little longer than it has in yeas past, but it sure was fun.
It also took a few shots to shake off the rust.
There were more Eurasians than I've ever seen

<a href="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/nmwaterfowler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140901_151812_zpsxyarb8gu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/nmwaterfowler/Mobile%20Uploads/20140901_151812_zpsxyarb8gu.jpg</a>
View Quote

No limit on them and year round season now.

I had planned to go today but my buddy's son got sick so he couldn't go.
There is always next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Went last night with my dad south of Las Cruces.  Each got 7 but there were plenty more we couldn't hit

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was a decent day. Only the kid that was with us didn't limit out.
It took a little longer than it has in yeas past, but it sure was fun.
It also took a few shots to shake off the rust.
There were more Eurasians than I've ever seen

<a href="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/nmwaterfowler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140901_151812_zpsxyarb8gu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/nmwaterfowler/Mobile%20Uploads/20140901_151812_zpsxyarb8gu.jpg</a>
View Quote

The Game and Fish guy that lives down the road from me said the Eurasians will more than likely be the dominant dove in several years.  Little bastards are like illegal, er I mean Undocumented Liberals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

When did the season change to year round?  

I am going to try again tomorrow morning.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MAHA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Went out opening afternoon to a spot we usually never have a problem limiting.  Had 9 birds come in and dropped 7.  The fact they came in as singles sure helped.  But was disappointed in the numbers.

Eurasian Collared have been a free for all for several years.  I don't trust myself to shoot them with a shotgun outside of regular dove season.  But a pellet gun off the back porch is another story.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Went out opening afternoon to a spot we usually never have a problem limiting.  Had 9 birds come in and dropped 7.  The fact they came in as singles sure helped.  But was disappointed in the numbers.
Eurasian Collared have been a free for all for several years.  I don't trust myself to shoot them with a shotgun outside of regular dove season.  But a pellet gun off the back porch is another story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

I pulled this years Bird regulations last night and Pellet guns have been added as legal means to take Eurasian Dove.  As well as the Year round no limits.  I need to find a small set of bionoculars.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got to go out tonight. Went to Moriarty and saw a bunch of birds. Unfortunately they were all too far to shoot. Only ended up with 2 birds. Hopefully will have better success next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top