Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2016 2:44:00 PM EDT
Can't seem to get much of a straight answer from anybody.
Anyone here know?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can't seem to get much of a straight answer from anybody.
Anyone here know?
View Quote

Do not consider me me to be a definitive answer, but pistol should be fine and a rifle could cause you problems.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to carry a weapon, the best way is to get your concealed carry license. You can do that for $140 plus the cost of the class 35-65 dollars some I've seen some offered for free with the hope of selling you ammo or gear. In my opinion if you need a gun it probably won't be sitting in your car, it will be going to or from it. This is supposed to be a open carry state and law enforcement has a lot of grey areas regarding this. I see people in wal-mart open carry with out incident. If you carry it on your person you will be more likely to have it when you need it and if someone breaks into your car it will probably cost you much more than the fees replacing the gun. It just seemed like the way to go for myself. I'm not selling classes and I don't like paying fees for something I feel is a 2a right. In the unlikely event of having to use your weapon being certified by the state is going to work in your favor if any lawsuits or legal issues arise.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what the Arkansas statute says:

5-73-120.  Carrying a weapon.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.
View Quote

That is only section (a) however it was changed from this in 2013:

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.
View Quote

The Bolded is what changed.   There are more parts to the law.  They also defined a "Journey" however section (a) basically makes the rest of the statute needless.   They were lucky in getting this through and signed by the Governor whom realized too late.     We've been fighting the battle ever since.  Most now consider Arkansas a "Constitutional Carry" state not just Open Carry.   This latest version many feel make the CHCL statutes very dated as well especially since they seem to counteract each other.   Fortunately the latest date should take precedence.

Most of the state is on board but several in LE and government are still pushing back.   There have been some arrests for Open Carry but most have either won are they were dropped.   Again many of the incidents have been with OC and not simply being in possession or in ones vehicle loaded.

There was this last year.

Drew Open Carrying

This guy was OCing his AR slung on his back in Searcy a week before his trial for another incident.   I would say if you can OC a long gun loaded you can surely have it loaded in your vehicle.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#4]
About a month ago I heard that AR state police confiscated a CHCL from an individual for open carry. I was told  their stance on the issue was that you were violating restrictions  of the CHCL which mandates you keep the weapon concealed. My wife took a CHCL class in Feb. and they (Searcy police officer)told her that they could not open carry. It seems that LE does not support OC. I do open carry when I go check on the farm, but I leave my CHCL at the house, they can't confiscate anything I don't have on me ,they may revoke it. It looks like a few unfortunate individuals will have to face a judge before things are clarified. Looks like ASP is putting their thumb on the scales
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About a month ago I heard that AR state police confiscated a CHCL from an individual for open carry. I was told  their stance on the issue was that you were violating restrictions  of the CHCL which mandates you keep the weapon concealed. My wife took a CHCL class in Feb. and they (Searcy police officer)told her that they could not open carry. It seems that LE does not support OC. I do open carry when I go check on the farm, but I leave my CHCL at the house, they can't confiscate anything I don't have on me ,they may revoke it. It looks like a few unfortunate individuals will have to face a judge before things are clarified. Looks like ASP is putting their thumb on the scales
View Quote

That's another sore subject as well with the ASP.   They are protecting their cash cow.   Many are simply getting out of state non resident CHCLs from states like AZ or FL.    There was a court case a few months ago here in LR where a guy, the one from the video I posted earlier, was trying to get his CHCL back after ASP confiscated it.    Unfortunately he got the worst judge.   They decided to not appeal.

There is a court case coming up to the Arkansas Court of Appeals for a gun carry conviction.   This guy was carrying without a permit when arrested.    Depending on how the court of appeals rules this could be an interpretation that changes everything.   No date set yet though.   They will have an opportunity to interpret the current wording of 5-73-120.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's another sore subject as well with the ASP.   They are protecting their cash cow.   Many are simply getting out of state non resident CHCLs from states like AZ or FL.    There was a court case a few months ago here in LR where a guy, the one from the video I posted earlier, was trying to get his CHCL back after ASP confiscated it.    Unfortunately he got the worst judge.   They decided to not appeal.

There is a court case coming up to the Arkansas Court of Appeals for a gun carry conviction.   This guy was carrying without a permit when arrested.    Depending on how the court of appeals rules this could be an interpretation that changes everything.   No date set yet though.   They will have an opportunity to interpret the current wording of 5-73-120.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. It's obvious they are stacking the deck against everyone except retired LE and active military. I was entertaining the idea of obtaining certification from NRA classes to teach CHCL. In Apr. I passed phase 2  Basics of Pistol Shooting in MO. The instructor told me that becoming certified to teach AR CHCL was much harder than the certifications to teach MO concealed classes. Being 53 and wearing bi-focals I'm not sure I can pass the NRA instructor qualification target. We usually vacation in FL every year and if AR wants to make things difficult maybe I need to take cc money elsewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top