Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 10:26:52 PM EDT
Does anyone know of any GMRS repeaters in or around LR?

I looked on https://www.mygmrs.com/browse and the repeater directory and only found two listed for AR.

One in Stone Co the other in Conway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't even aware we had any GMRS repeaters in AR.   Which is why I got my tech license several years ago.

Having a GMRS repeater in central AR would be pretty sweet in some aspects.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I finally went and took my tech but also want a nice GMRS setup.  Taking my GEN in Aug.

I think I may build a GMRS repeater.  I found a few designs that can be made for only a few hundred bucks that are 25 watts.  I really will need to raise my tower to make it worth a darn. I have one 10' section I can add so I just need to find one or two more sections. Right now I'm at 20' with 10' mast so adding 20' would be nice!

I think for kicks until I get all the other stuff for the 25watt setup I'm going to make a 5watt one with my UV5Rs t just to see how much a difference it will make.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If I may ask, what kinda Greek are y'all speakin'?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure!

So you know those little twin pack radios you can buy at Walmart, Bass Pro and such that say 30+ mile range that everyone used for hunting and fishing and picking and can only get maybe a mile??? Well those are GRMS radios and to legally use them your supposed to buy a license from the FCC and such but they do not enforce it.

This all being said those little things only push about 2 watts and are not very good radios but they work.

Now lets lay you get your GMRS Incense and then you install a pretty decent repeater lets say 25 to 50 watts and then you buy some better radios HTs that push 5 watts then you have a set up that can cover some millage,

With the right repeater in the right location it would be nothing to hit the repeater from Benton and talk to someone maybe in NLR or even farther.  So this could be a game changer since all you have to pay the $65 fee to the FCC get your license and you are good to start talking.

Now with a HAM license  you have to take a test and it is not hard but people just don't won't to study and find a place to take the test. But if you do this opens up even more opportunities as there are repeaters all over the state that you can use to extend your communications.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sure!

So you know those little twin pack radios you can buy at Walmart, Bass Pro and such that say 30+ mile range that everyone used for hunting and fishing and picking and can only get maybe a mile??? Well those are GRMS radios and to legally use them your supposed to buy a license from the FCC and such but they do not enforce it.

This all being said those little things only push about 2 watts and are not very good radios but they work.

Now lets lay you get your GMRS Incense and then you install a pretty decent repeater lets say 25 to 50 watts and then you buy some better radios HTs that push 5 watts then you have a set up that can cover some millage,

With the right repeater in the right location it would be nothing to hit the repeater from Benton and talk to someone maybe in NLR or even farther.  So this could be a game changer since all you have to pay the $65 fee to the FCC get your license and you are good to start talking.

Now with a HAM license  you have to take a test and it is not hard but people just don't won't to study and find a place to take the test. But if you do this opens up even more opportunities as there are repeaters all over the state that you can use to extend your communications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure!

For example, I have a 65 watt 2 meter mobile unit in my truck with a simple 24 inch fender mounted antenna.  The antenna is the weak point for me, but I can still talk 25 miles.  And I can key the Chenal mtn repeater from Newport (~100 miles) with it, although it would take a decent whip antenna if I wanted to talk that far on that repeater.

My fender mount is modular so if need be I can switch the antenna out for a larger 6ft whip and reach much farther.  I just cant park in my garage with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  Been a long time since I was around any radio folks.  Used to know an ole retired Navy Chief who was the top dog in AR with MARS.  Lived on top of Crow Mountain N. of Atkins.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I need to get off my ass and get my license.

I remember studying with my dad back in the 80's, but I just couldn't ever get the code sections down.

Now you don't need code for anything, and I'm not 8 anymore, so I should give it a whack again.

Would be great to have an HTF radio channel. I doubt it would stay up long if the SHTF in a major way, but it could be priceless in the event of something a bit less impactful.

How are the GMRS repeaters setup? Are they single channel repeaters like most HAM repeaters? Or can they host the whole range of channels from the same transceiver?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I remember studying with my dad back in the 80's, but I just couldn't ever get the code sections down.

Now you don't need code for anything, and I'm not 8 anymore, so I should give it a whack again.

Would be great to have an HTF radio channel. I doubt it would stay up long if the SHTF in a major way, but it could be priceless in the event of something a bit less impactful.

How are the GMRS repeaters setup? Are they single channel repeaters like most HAM repeaters? Or can they host the whole range of channels from the same transceiver?
View Quote

The intro test is easy. I think I studied for about 2 hours before the test using an iphone app. I missed the level 2 test by 1 question and passed the level 1 with ease.

I retained nearly zero info but I can legally use my radios now.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The intro test is easy. I think I studied for about 2 hours before the test using an iphone app. I missed the level 2 test by 1 question and passed the level 1 with ease.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Im going back in Aug to take my General test again. Ill put a little more study time to make sure I get it as I would like to be able to 40M HF.

As for SHTF and LR a 50Watt radio up on a hill can go a long ways!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. Im going back in Aug to take my General test again. Ill put a little more study time to make sure I get it as I would like to be able to 40M HF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sat in my truck on my 65w Kenwood mobile with a little 24in Antenna and talked 70 miles up north of Greenbriar on 2M.  

I was abou 100ft up on a hill.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
How ever we all need to work more on using these damn things just in case we need to use them one day!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top