Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
And then say, since they're on your property, you will take a reparation out of their hide.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge amongst Arkansas history, what made you bring it up?

Tons of 'Reeds', 'Millers' and 'Dunlaps' in S. Washington County.  I'm not one of them, though.  Baker -Fancher party

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And then say, since they're on your property, you will take a reparation out of their hide.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge amongst Arkansas history, what made you bring it up?

Tons of 'Reeds', 'Millers' and 'Dunlaps' in S. Washington County.  I'm not one of them, though.  Baker -Fancher party

View Quote

I'm watching "The West" on Netflix while sitting in a hotel bored out of my mind. They touched on it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow I have never heard that story. Thanks. I'm going to give my Morman coworker hell about it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Anything uncomfortable for my JW coworker?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've watched several documentaries on Mountain Meadows. The Wiki article glosses over and downplays some things I've seen from other sources.

When you look at the Mormon's history, it's not difficult to see why they would have been a little bit paranoid.

The Massacre at Haun's Mill, the explusion of the Mormons from Missouri by means of an "extermination order" signed by Governor Lilburn W. Boggs (which was not officially rescinded until 1976), and the continued mob violence that followed them into Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska and quite literally drove them to Utah...

One of the documentaries I've seen mentions that the Fancher party came swaggering into Utah running their yaps about how they were somehow affiliated with the men that killed the Mormon founder Joseph Smith and spouting all sorts of "we're gonna" and "we oughtta" style B.S.  It's not hard to see how Mountain Meadows happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haun's_Mill_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Executive_Order_44

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've watched several documentaries on Mountain Meadows. The Wiki article glosses over and downplays some things I've seen from other sources.

When you look at the Mormon's history, it's not difficult to see why they would have been a little bit paranoid.

The Massacre at Haun's Mill, the explusion of the Mormons from Missouri by means of an "extermination order" signed by Governor Lilburn W. Boggs (which was not officially rescinded until 1976), and the continued mob violence that followed them into Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska and quite literally drove them to Utah...

One of the documentaries I've seen mentions that the Fancher party came swaggering into Utah running their yaps about how they were somehow affiliated with the men that killed the Mormon founder Joseph Smith and spouting all sorts of "we're gonna" and "we oughtta" style B.S.  It's not hard to see how Mountain Meadows happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haun's_Mill_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Executive_Order_44

View Quote

You don't slaughter 140 people over a supposed threat.  Even if it's true,  it doesn't justify  anything.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure I wasn't using any of those things as justification, hence the use of the word "paranoid", which would indicate something less than a healthy cause.

I just said it's not hard to see how it happened when you consider what many of them had been through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top