Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 10:17:57 AM EDT
Saw an article saying that there is a gun rights bill going through the Arkansas House with little to no opposition, and it says something about expanded rights for "silencer" enthusiasts. Anyone know what this bill is for and what it will allow? Any chance it is to legalize supressors?

Thanks, sorry if I missed something.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw an article saying that there is a gun rights bill going through the Arkansas House with little to no opposition, and it says something about expanded rights for "silencer" enthusiasts. Anyone know what this bill is for and what it will allow? Any chance it is to legalize supressors?

Thanks, sorry if I missed something.
View Quote

Suppressors arent legal in AR?

OH Shit. Im going to jail...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you see this article?

I can't think of anything that Arkansas could be of any benefit to suppressor ownership/usage. . .
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
In an email from Arkansas online.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/mar/11/house-panel-backs-gun-rights-bills-2015-1/
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to subscribe to see the whole article.

I do t subscribe so all I can see is the preview.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It's House Bill 1488. It will require the chief law enforcement officer in your county to approve or deny your request on an NFA form within 15 days. Some of the CLEOs are holding the forms up by not making a decision.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahh. I hear the Washington county sheriff will sign.

I haven't looked into supressors yet since I know it's all about getting the signature and the $200 to get the stamp. How much is a .22 supressor going for these days? Last time I looked they were all around $1000+.

If I can get into one for around $500 plus the $200 and the hassle with the signature I might do it.

Can it be done for that much?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't looked into supressors yet since I know it's all about getting the signature and the $200 to get the stamp. How much is a .22 supressor going for these days? Last time I looked they were all around $1000+.

If I can get into one for around $500 plus the $200 and the hassle with the signature I might do it.

View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

VERY easily.  Hunter town Guardian is $200, plus your stamp, although their complete lack of CS would have me avoid them.  The can itself is nice, just cross your fingers nothing happens to it.   Check Silencershop for an idea of price, lots of .22 cans between $200 and $300.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow. Good to hear.

Anyone have sheriff Helder sign for them? What is the process? Just call and ask for an appointment? What questions do they ask? Does it matter that I would be using it in carrol county? My main residence is in Washington county, but I have land in Carrol.

Any help is appreciated. Just don't tell my wife  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
You thought about getting a trust and avoiding the whole CLEO game?  I know its a few hundred for the trust, but IMHO, worth it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Not real clear on any of the processes. I'm going to have to do some research when I get a chance.

Thanks for the info so far.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You thought about getting a trust and avoiding the whole CLEO game?  I know its a few hundred for the trust, but IMHO, worth it.
View Quote

So the thing with the trust is that the ATF is about to change the rules so that even with the trust, you need a signoff.

I will still use a trust, because if I do, then my wife or myself can legally be in possession of my toys.  If you go the single signoff, without a trust, then your suppressor can be in a safe or with you and that is IT.  With a trust, anyone on the trust can have it.

It's interesting....  NFA sales are through the roof, so ATF thinks "Well, lets get rid of trusts, that will slow them down" and in response MANY states are passing "shall sign" legislation which will ultimately make it even easier for people to get NFA goodies.  :D

-J
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So the thing with the trust is that the ATF is about to change the rules so that even with the trust, you need a signoff.

I will still use a trust, because if I do, then my wife or myself can legally be in possession of my toys.  If you go the single signoff, without a trust, then your suppressor can be in a safe or with you and that is IT.  With a trust, anyone on the trust can have it.

It's interesting....  NFA sales are through the roof, so ATF thinks "Well, lets get rid of trusts, that will slow them down" and in response MANY states are passing "shall sign" legislation which will ultimately make it even easier for people to get NFA goodies.  :D

-J
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

So 41P is a done deal?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So 41P is a done deal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

So 41P is a done deal?

We won't know for sure until mid May when they release the finalized rule.  But based on the comments I've read, it sounds like it's going to happen.  Someone might get the courts to slap it down, who knows if that will be effective.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
EDIT:  Just nevermind, stupidest post ever.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the House passed it and sent it to the Senate.   On the 12th
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this also include the wording that would lift the absolute prohibition of having a gun in your car in a parking lot for certain employers?
Im mainly concerned about whether or not it would make it legal to have a gun in a vehicle at Pulaski Tech.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does this also include the wording that would lift the absolute prohibition of having a gun in your car in a parking lot for certain employers?
Im mainly concerned about whether or not it would make it legal to have a gun in a vehicle at Pulaski Tech.
View Quote

Not this Bill.   This one is only about having the CLEO sign off.  It is only about amending 5-73-112
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just got an update email from the NRA on this one.  

House Bill 1505, introduced by state Representative Michelle Gray (R-62), was voted out of the House Judiciary Committee this past Tuesday, March 10, then passed by the full House of Representatives Thursday by a 68-9 vote.  This legislation would remove the absolute prohibition on having a firearm in the vehicle while in certain public parking lots for individuals with a concealed handgun license.

The publicly owned and maintained parking lots must be accessible to the public, and includes those lots associated with public schools (K-12, colleges, community colleges, and universities), public buildings, the State Capitol and the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department.  License holders would no longer be prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm on their person while in their vehicle while on the affected lots, and would not be prohibited from keeping the firearm locked in their unattended vehicle while parked in these public lots.

Also Michelle Gray is a freshman.    She came up in discussions on an amended "Journey" Bill.   Being a freshman has it's disadvantages even though she is VERY pro gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I really, truly wish they would fix the law that disallows firearms in vehicles on federal property.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really, truly wish they would fix the law that disallows firearms in vehicles on federal property.
View Quote

They, meaning "WE", could fix it anytime we like!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tooshay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's House Bill 1488. It will require the chief law enforcement officer in your county to approve or deny your request on an NFA form within 15 days. Some of the CLEOs are holding the forms up by not making a decision.
View Quote

while it's a step in a good direction it should be a SHALL sign, even with this they can easily deny so really it doesn't accomplish anything

Just looked it up and it is a SHALL sign, It's about time, I can't wait to piss my sheriff off

HB 1488, introduced by state Representative Tim Lemons (R-43), is “shall sign” legislation and would require the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm, as required by the National Firearms Act, within 15 days if the person is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm by law.  HB 1488 also establishes that an applicant may appeal a denial to the circuit court.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

while it's a step in a good direction it should be a SHALL sign, even with this they can easily deny so really it doesn't accomplish anything

Just looked it up and it is a SHALL sign, It's about time, I can't wait to piss my sheriff off

HB 1488, introduced by state Representative Tim Lemons (R-43), is “shall sign” legislation and would require the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm, as required by the National Firearms Act, within 15 days if the person is not prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm by law.  HB 1488 also establishes that an applicant may appeal a denial to the circuit court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it went to the Governor for his signature.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Today HB1505 passed in the senate 33-1. It removes absolute prohibition on having a firearm in a vehicle while in certain public parking lots for people with a ccw.
Yesterday HB1372 passed by 32-1, removes absolute prohibition for ccw carry on school property and establishes schools to create their own carry policies.
HB1505 was introduced by R62 Michelle Gray.
HB1372 was introduced by R70 David Meeks.
These bills are in front of the governor, and are intended to expand gun rights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

intended to expand gun rights.
View Quote
This is NOT true. Government cannot grant or "expand" rights. These bills would only remove a minuscule number of the massive number of VIOLATIONS of your rights, not make your rights "bigger."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top