Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 11:58:51 AM EDT
With today's sleet/ice then snow I was treating my driveway with salt when I realized that I only had enough for one coat. I started looking into other methods of ice prevention and removal. I found out that pickle brine will melt ice down to minus 6 degrees F. If your pavement is pretreated it will make the ice and snow removal a lot easier.
It's too late now but I plan try this before the next big winter event.
Post up if you have any good ways to treat your driveway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
How does one make this pickle brine?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does one make this pickle brine?
View Quote

Find a restaurant and ask to get their pickle juice out of the 5 gallon pickle bucket. Put it in a sprayer and go to town. After some thought I think I'd rather just move to Florida.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't use pickle brine, but I do something similar with pool salt and a pump sprayer to pre-treat.

Once its already glazed, I will mix in 90% rubbing alcohol in a 50:50 mixture with hot pool salt water in the pump sprayer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use pickle brine, but I do something similar with pool salt and a pump sprayer to pre-treat.

Once its already glazed, I will mix in 90% rubbing alcohol in a 50:50 mixture with hot pool salt water in the pump sprayer.
View Quote

That's a good idea. Everywhere here is out of the traditional de-ice'ing salt, pool salt and water softener salt will work just as good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
vinegar as a pretreat will stop ice from sticking
vinegar and water 50/50 mix and spray it on
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
This seems about right to me.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried a youtube found solution of 2 qts warm water, 6 drops of dawn detergent and 2 oz of rubbing alcohol.  

It melted the already slushier ice, but didn't get the harder froze ice.  Then it froze on top and made it even more slick.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top