Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 2:07:24 PM EDT
I don't want to own the truck, just drive. How shifty are the hours and about how many days away from home?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
First job,  2000 to 2600 miles a week most weeks, 28 to to 35 cents a mile for most entry level jobs.  Most jobs won't get you home more than every other weekend.  With the exception of hauling refer, most jobs will have you driving normal daytime hours.

A GOOD starting Job, like Maverick is 2500ish miles a week,  40 cents per mile (after a short probation) and home 45+ weekends a year. 34 to 48 hours most weekends.

I was OTR for several years. It sucks.  Now I have a dedicated regional route.  I'm normally home 5 nights a week,  though this summer we've been down 3 drivers,  so I'm doing my job and that of a driver that quit. I hate it,  but I'm paying 500 to a grand a week to kill debt. Summer is almost over though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The regional route seems like a better gig. I'm just thinking out loud as I question wanting to change to a less stressful career.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to the fire dept to relax.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I often question my decision to "retire" from the FD.  Those 24 hours away were pretty relaxing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Dan,

If you don't mind me asking ...who do you drive for/where do you drive out of?

I've often thought of trying to get on a route with Con-way or similar.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I work for a tiny company based out of Russellville,  our runs are all out and backs within 500 miles of little rock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from swift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top